Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:03 AM

13 posts, read 12,866 times

Advertisements

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...68_rect/12_zm/

Just out of curiosity, I've done some looking online at the real estate market in lower CT. We're planning to head back to IL no later than 2020, but theres somewhat of a possibility my wife's corp transfer may become permanent.

Anyway, back to the listing...WOW, just wow. Look how outdated that place is. Wood panelling?! 1200 sqft?! There aren't even photos of the kitchen (it must be a real gem, no doubt).

I realize prices are dictated by supply & demand. Apparently the demand is there if people are really insane enough to pay these prices for a TINY home that is easily going to need $100k in renovation. Why choose to live in a shoebox though as opposed to buying something much nicer in a non brand-name district and send the kids to private school (if they're against the notion that a dedicated kid with a supportive home can succeed in any public school) ?

I really don't understand CT. The focus on 'brand names' here is crazy. Luxury vehicles everywhere, designer clothes, restaurants with $30 burgers, etc...its all just beyond me. It really is a whole other world out here.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:14 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
You are smack dab in the middle of one of the wealthiest and most desirable parts of the country. Home prices are that high because people have the money and are willing to spend it to live there. That is what the free market is all about. This is the same as you would find in greater San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston and affluent suburbs of major cities. Dare I point out that Chicagos more desirable suburbs are not significantly different. Since you have such disdain for the area and are planning to leave anyway, why bother buying. Just keep renting so when ready you do not have a house to sell. Jay

Old 08-11-2017, 10:22 AM

830 posts, read 1,094,188 times
My realtor sent me this like a month ago as land. At that price the house isn't long for this world, guarantee a new house will be built there. Its the price of entry in any of the towns in lower FFC. Even in the towns with lower ranked school districts (Stamford, Norwalk), this house (land) would still be worth maybe 400-500k?, so the premium for Darien isn't all that insane, and the taxes are only $7k. Not just the "brand," the schools, the beaches, the library, the town, the ease of access to New York, etc. Darien is 38 miles from the city, what do you expect?

I will agree with you about $30 burgers however. The only one worth it is at Jesup Hall, IMO.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are smack dab in the middle of one of the wealthiest and most desirable parts of the country. Home prices are that high because people have the money and are willing to spend it to live there. That is what the free market is all about. This is the same as you would find in greater San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston and affluent suburbs of major cities. Dare I point out that Chicagos more desirable suburbs are not significantly different. Since you have such disdain for the area and are planning to leave anyway, why bother buying. Just keep renting so when ready you do not have a house to sell. Jay
Are you sure about that (regarding Chicago?)

Here's what $50k less will get you in Schaumburg, just outside of the city with excellent schools:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../3417738_zpid/

TRIPLE the square footage, with new and modern amenities. Are you really going to tell me you prefer the house in Darien?

FYI, we may wind up having to stay in CT depending on the future of my wife's company. Hence the reason I've been (begrudgingly) looking. If we do stay, we're both going to have a LONG drive considering there is nothing remotely decent in our range (600k or so).

Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Oh, and the Tollway (Interstate 90) that runs through Schaumburg was recently rebuilt and is now 5 lanes per direction with a bus lane for commuting to Chicago delay-free. The roads in Darien are abysmal.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:21 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,954 times
As you said, it's supply and demand. You may not think it's worth it, but there are plenty of people who would jump on that little house to get into Darien for under 700k.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:24 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPack2017 View Post
Are you sure about that (regarding Chicago?)

Here's what $50k less will get you in Schaumburg, just outside of the city with excellent schools:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../3417738_zpid/

TRIPLE the square footage, with new and modern amenities. Are you really going to tell me you prefer the house in Darien?

FYI, we may wind up having to stay in CT depending on the future of my wife's company. Hence the reason I've been (begrudgingly) looking. If we do stay, we're both going to have a LONG drive considering there is nothing remotely decent in our range (600k or so).
I was comparing that house to homes in your beloved New Tier High School district where homes are older and pricier than Schaumburg. Schaumburg Is about 30 miles from Chicago. Just like there, if you are willing to go 30 miles from Stamford, you will get a lot more home for your money.

Begin by checking out Wilton and Ridgefield. Beautiful towns with excellent schools and not too horrible commutes to Stamford (where I am assuming your wife works). Then may be look in Fairfield, Easton and Trumbull. All very nice towns with very good schools but the commute gets longer. If that still is not good enough then I would say try Shelton or Milford. The schools aren't as good but you would get more for your money.

Finally you could try Orange and Woodbridge. Very good schools and some nice homes for the money, certainly in comparison to Darien. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Your opinion on whether or not it's worth it is pretty irrelevant to the grand scheme of how the market works.

Also, consider just how much more earning potential there is in the NYC area vs. Chicago, especially in finance.

Also, how is Darien any different from the extremely affluent north shore suburbs of Chicago?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 PM

417 posts, read 601,031 times
go to the bay area and try to find this in an equivalent suburb at the same price and come back.

schaumburg is hardly a relevant comparison to darien. Try lake forest or kenilworth.

also what Stylo said- incomes are appreciably higher in the NYC metro than Chicago and for good reason.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:10 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
From reading this and the other posts by the OP, it is clear they have an axe to grind with SW CT and aren't interested in any opinion that deviates from their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut