Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:35 PM

21,772 posts, read 28,115,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
It would definitely benefit LI in the short term but in the long term, central CT would BOOM. The New Haven area would probably become one of the more desirable metros on the east coast IMO.. think about it, the north shore of LI would be considered part of the greater New Haven area and lots of people would commute in, and eventually move in. The only negative is home prices in New Haven would soar..
Hmm, I guess that’s true. New Haven would be the closest “real” city to visit and work in. Maybe Nemerson is right.

But if the tunnel went to Bridgeport, wouldn’t it mostly benefit Bridgeport? How about a Rye tunnel? What does that do for CT besides more traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:37 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The Latest, $55 Billion Solution to Long Island Sound Crossing: Underwater Tunnel - Hartford Courant

This could make a huge impact in NY and CT (New Haven especially). Any thoughts on this?
No chance of this happening, but for comparisons sake the Euro Tunnel between London & Paris is 79 pounds each way. ($109 USD) No one but the ultra rich could afford a toll like that daily. With a 55 billion dollar cost - no way the Govt can pay for that with taxes from the general fund. There would have to be some type of toll or specific tax(es) set aside, and no ones going to go for that.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Hmm, I guess that’s true. New Haven would be the closest “real” city to visit and work in. Maybe Nemerson is right.

But if the tunnel went to Bridgeport, wouldn’t it mostly benefit Bridgeport? How about a Rye tunnel? What does that do for CT besides more traffic?
Probably... I think the best return on investment would be to put the bridge/tunnel in New Haven. That's where it's needed most...

Rye would be pointless because it's too close to the Throgs Neck. Even Bridgeport is a little too attached to the inner NYC metro for it to pump much into each local economy.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,233,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s what I was thinking too. 4 million people on each side of the tunnel. CT residents would pile into it to take advantage of LI Beaches for the day. LI residents would pile into it to take advantage of job opportunities that are scarce on eastern LI. If it’s not 5 lanes in each direction, it’ll be a 30 mile underground parking lot.

I do see this happening, just not in my lifetime.
And on really bad traffic days, thousands will probably die of carbon monoxide poisoning

Old 01-15-2018, 09:24 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
...or we could take a ferry from Bridgeport, CT to Port Jefferson, NY for $50 and save tens of billions of dollars.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 PM

21,772 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
...or we could take a ferry from Bridgeport, CT to Port Jefferson, NY for $50 and save tens of billions of dollars.
$112 round trip for one driver...

Old 01-16-2018, 04:28 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,172,374 times
The Bridgeport ferry is a debacle. Expensive and really doesnt save time since you have to arrive an hour early even if you have a reservation. In an hour I’m already on the island.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:48 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,868,656 times
It could happen. Chesapeake bay bridge is almost 18 miles long of a combination of bridges and tunnels. I wouldn't want to drive in all tunnel but bridges and tunnels will work better at least for me

Old 01-16-2018, 05:59 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,500,218 times
I could see Chesapeake style crossing with openings along the channel routes of the sound for larger ships and crossing points. I'm not sure if New Haven could handle the traffic even with the new connectors they have put up though. For me it would be great access to wine country in LI without having to deal with a ferry. As one poster said above, the cost and time of taking a car on a ferry is almost a waste given the time to arrive, ferry speed, etc. If they had a more Euro style ship to handle the crossing it may make sense but those may be too large.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Very common in Europe. I just did a trip to the Alps and went through some tunnels that felt like they’d never end. Not a big deal.
Yes, but the one that long are rail tunnels. The longest vehicular tunnel is less than 16 miles long. It is the Laerdal Tunnel in Norway. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut