Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 10:23 PM

2,220 posts, read 1,659,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I’m pretty sure people are voting where they’d live. As far as a city being an asset and having greatness I agree with you. But given the age group of this forum many are either afraid of cities or don’t want to send their kids to an urban school system. Sorry Madison and Litchfield, I’d sacrifice you for New Haven.

An interesting way to mix it up would be categories as the tournament has gotten boring and the same general towns will always win.

Best food
Best culture
Most charming
Best shoreline
Best place to raise family
Etc.
Stylo, you have some great points here. I think I will format it a little differently this time. It will likely be by county and then the top 2 from each county after few rounds will make the next rounds. That will make it more interesting. The fact is though, that in the past, I have never been so specific on what in the towns they should vote for. Some people here thought about which town they would rather live in, but I didn't mean for it to always be the case that way. Like read my previous post above with the Fairfield vs Old Saybrook tie last time.

Great ideas here, but if we were to do best shoreline, more than half the towns don't even have a coast. Charming would be a good idea. Raise a family, possibly but many people will be single on here and might not be able to make that call well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
And/or maybe ranked-choice voting? I agree that early eliminations have the potential to leave some good towns at the bottom of the heap.
The main problem with ranked-choice voting is I feel that would take away much of the fun and all the interesting eliminations. And I would have to really think hard of a way to do that, because it would likely just be rank all the towns one round and it's over. And how would I be able to keep score for all that to determine the outcomes? Not really easy to do a tournament that way to be honest.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:26 PM

OK Guys, well I have 3 more days to think about the format, and I'll let you know all when I start it on Thursday! Stay tuned. I will likely even post a link here to the new forum in case anyone doesn't find it automatically although I assume most of you will!

Old 03-30-2020, 10:43 PM

I am also hoping, that with this whole coronavirus going on we can get a lot more voters. This honestly might be one of the best times for a tournament like this! Can't Wait!

Old 03-31-2020, 04:57 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,980,621 times
Another idea might be to first split the towns into groups of similar towns and have them only faceoff among each other until the quarterfinals.

The state splits them up like this for education purposes: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/SDE/Gr...ndxa.pdf?la=en - obviously not each town is listed there because some are regional, but that could be a good starting point.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:32 PM

990 posts, read 604,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Another idea might be to first split the towns into groups of similar towns and have them only faceoff among each other until the quarterfinals.

The state splits them up like this for education purposes: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/SDE/Gr...ndxa.pdf?la=en - obviously not each town is listed there because some are regional, but that could be a good starting point.
That's a really good idea actually. Counties are honestly somewhat arbitrary but here similar towns are facing off. I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut