Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:30 AM

31 posts, read 47,881 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, like the title says, looking for opinions on a relocation my family is considering. After being taxed to the bone and traffic’ed to the limit on Long Island, we’re looking to make some changes.

-budget to spend up to $500k
-fast growing toddler, so elementary school quality factors in
-family friendly activities available, maybe public playgrounds for our little guy?
-wife works from home, and has preference for walkable downtown, and grocery/shopping within 20 minute drive
-we much prefer mom/pop restaurants, farmers markets and businesses. Strong aversions to chains and box stores. Don’t even like being nearby them.
-I only commute (to the Bronx) 3-4 days a week. Railroad proximity is a nice-to-have, as wife makes a Manhattan trip a few times a month.
-having a little land (an acre, bare minimum, prefer 2+) is important
-we prefer to spend free time outside;proximity to hiking, lakes, beach will play into the decision.
-this ones a little frivolous, but I have a strong appreciation for old styles of construction, particularly Victorian, but some colonial and Tudor stuff can really catch my attention too. The more in town, the better.

We started out looking in northern westchester/Putnam county, but proliferation of raised ranches and hi taxes have us looking into CT. I’ve heard people rave about ridgefiled, there seems to be quite a bit available in new Fairfield, which has raised a red flag considering people generally say good things about it. New Canaan did not seem to be my cup of tea on a recent visit (though pound ridge felt quite comfortable.) Danbury is out. Too big, too many people, chains, strip malls and big box stores...

We definitely have some visiting to do, but in the meantime, I’d love some suggestions for places to start.

And of course, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 11:04 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
I’d highly suggest Ridgefield and Wilton, though you’ll only get a smaller modest home for that price. Depending where in town, you can either take the train from Katonah or South Norwalk. You technically can take it out of Ridgefield, but that requires a switch. Both are suburban with homes on larger lots than you’ll find in towns to the south.

The other town I’d suggest is Fairfield (town). Again, 500k won’t get you much more than a modest home, and I’m not sure you can get the acreage you desire, but it meets all of your other needs. The Metro North out of Fairfield will make your trip to the city much easier than Ridgefield, where you’ll have to drive 15-20 minutes to the towns mentioned above to catch the train. Just a side note: traffic on 95/Merritt Parkway is just as bad as Long Island, so if you’re coming here to escape traffic, it’s not gonna happen.

New Fairfield will get you a lot for your money, but you’re a trek from the city. It’s a great rural town, though.

Schools in all suggested towns are excellent.

Unfortunately 500k won’t get you any closer to the city unless you’re willing to sacrifice school quality.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:50 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
Hi everyone, like the title says, looking for opinions on a relocation my family is considering. After being taxed to the bone and traffic’ed to the limit on Long Island, we’re looking to make some changes.

-family friendly activities available, maybe public playgrounds for our little guy?
-wife works from home, and has preference for walkable downtown, and grocery/shopping within 20 minute drive
-we much prefer mom/pop restaurants, farmers markets and businesses. Strong aversions to chains and box stores. Don’t even like being nearby them.
-I only commute (to the Bronx) 3-4 days a week. Railroad proximity is a nice-to-have, as wife makes a Manhattan trip a few times a month.
-we prefer to spend free time outside;proximity to hiking, lakes, beach will play into the decision.
-this ones a little frivolous, but I have a strong appreciation for old styles of construction, particularly Victorian, but some colonial and Tudor stuff can really catch my attention too. The more in town, the better.

We started out looking in northern westchester/Putnam county, but proliferation of raised ranches and hi taxes have us looking into CT. I’ve heard people rave about ridgefiled, there seems to be quite a bit available in new Fairfield, which has raised a red flag considering people generally say good things about it. New Canaan did not seem to be my cup of tea on a recent visit (though pound ridge felt quite comfortable.) Danbury is out. Too big, too many people, chains, strip malls and big box stores...

We definitely have some visiting to do, but in the meantime, I’d love some suggestions for places to start.

I live in New Fairfield and can certainly confirm that there a many more houses on the market than in years past. It finally started to pick up here within the last year or so following the housing bust of 2008. For the last decade, I think many homeowners were underwater and not in a position to sell without having to leave a substantial amount of money on the table. Prices still have not rebounded to pre- '08 levels, nor am I sure they ever will. But there's finally movement going on, which we haven't seen in a while. The entry level end of the market is hopping -- inventory is moving fast (<$250K) and from what I understand, many buyers are buying as investment properties as the rental market in town is almost non-existent -- a realtor friend of mine said you could pretty much guaranty being able to find a renter for one of these properties in about 1 day; A step up from that ($250K - $350K range -- where a typical well-cared for raised ranch would fall) is also seeing lots of movement with first-time home buyers and young families. High-end lakefront properties are finally starting to sell again too, but these buyers typically are the very well off who are buying as vacation homes. It's the mid-market that's still a little sleepy -- your price range actually. They always say mid-market is the first to take a hit, and the last rebound. I can assure you mid-market in NF has not rebounded yet, so it might be a good time to check it out.
It's a lovely town -- good schools, great sense of community, mostly mom & pop owned stores, though there is a Stop & Shop, Starbucks, DD, and Subway. All big box store shopping can be found in neighboring Danbury and Brookfield.

A commute to the Bronx is not bad at all, and for your wife's trips a couple of times a month to the city, there is shuttle service to the Southeast station (two bus stops in town -- one in the Company A firehouse parking lot, and the other in the Ball Pond firehouse parking lot).

Old 08-01-2018, 11:53 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
What about Bethel? It is a nice town with pretty much all you are looking for. Your commute to the Bronx would not be great though. Other options could be Trumbull, Shelton or Monroe but again your commute would be long and rough. Jay

Old 08-01-2018, 12:14 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:

Kidyankee gave you some good towns. Here is one thing to bear in mind, you will be taxed to the bone and traffic'ed to the limit in Fairfield County too. Make sure you check the numbers. I have family and friends in Fairfield. While it does have many of the things you want I don't think $500,000 will get you a house with one to two acres with the house you desire. The family and friends that I know with houses in the $500,000 range are smaller and on 1/2 acre or less.

My brother lived in the Lake Hills section and it's nice. He used to go fishing in the lake. Here is a $500,000 in Lake Hills but it is on 1/2 acre.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_25738733

This house is a rarity. It is on 2-1/2 acres in Greenfield Hills (where the larger lots are) but it needs tons of work. And it is UGLY, the house you (and I) abhor.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...t/pid_26040468

This one is in Stratfield where my sister-in-law lives. This is the typical lot size for a decent house in Fairfield at $500,000 being 1/3 acre.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_25383670

I live in Trumbull and there is a section that would tick your house style and price. It is the Nichols Historic District. It is on the national register. They have their own park and community center. Nichols is like it's own little community. It's filled with beautiful old homes, one after the other.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichol...toric_District

Here is a house right up your ally (and mine) with 1-1/3 acres.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_24158402

Here is another one in Nichols on 1 acre and you would have enough money to renovate it.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_22829536

There are not a lot of houses in Nichols for sale so I presume they go fast. Here is a Facebook page where you can see lots of the homes in the area.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Nichols-...=page_internal

Trumbull has very good schools like Fairfield and it is just a little further. In the Nichols section is Pinewood Lake. My cousin lives right across from the lake and it is very nice. Even if you don't live right on Pinewood Lake you can get on a list to join the lake association. It has a little beach too.
About | Pinewood Lake Association

Old 08-01-2018, 12:14 PM

31 posts, read 47,881 times
I’m not opposed to a little longer ride on the commute if it nets everything else. I budget 75 minutes on weekdays now for the 45 Miles I cover going to work.

And I forgot to mention this in the first post, but I’d also like to see more private homes-even deed restrictions- than rentals and apartments. Just been my experience that people with a vested interest in an area tend take take better care and have more pride in it.

What’s the story with Norwalk? We had some friends buy there recently, but it sounds like they’re still getting settled.

Ridgefield
Wilton
Town of Fairfield
NF
Bethel
Trumbull
Shelton
Monroe

That’s just me makin a list to refer back to.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:20 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
I’m not opposed to a little longer ride on the commute if it nets everything else. I budget 75 minutes on weekdays now for the 45 Miles I cover going to work.

And I forgot to mention this in the first post, but I’d also like to see more private homes-even deed restrictions- than rentals and apartments. Just been my experience that people with a vested interest in an area tend take take better care and have more pride in it.

What’s the story with Norwalk? We had some friends buy there recently, but it sounds like they’re still getting settled.

Ridgefield
Wilton
Town of Fairfield
NF
Bethel
Trumbull
Shelton
Monroe

I would not even consider Shelton. The downtown, while getting better, is not aesthetically pleasing. Gritty and plain ugly. I also know of several families who have left town (one just closed on his house) because they did not want to send their kids to Shelton Public. There is some merit to that. I encourage you to visit each town, though, to see what fits you best.

Jays recommendation of Bethel was also good.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:35 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,438 times
Quote:

Ridgefield
Wilton
Town of Fairfield
NF
Bethel
Trumbull
Shelton
Monroe

This is a good resource to refer to re: owner occupied vs. renter occupied. This is a link for NF, but also available for all other towns mentioned. https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...eld-county-ct/

As of current census data, NF is 93% owner occupied. Renters in town tend to be clustered in two main areas: Ball Pond which is on the NY-CT border, near the town of Putnam Lake in NY; and Candlewood Hills, which is in the extreme northern part of town off of Route 39 (you actually have to cross over into the Town of Sherman, CT for a second, before turning onto the road that brings you up to "The Hills" FYI, The Hills is not convenient to anything at all...) -- neither of these are areas you would be considering anyway based on your budget.
You will note that this link shows a vacancy rate that would seem surprisingly high -- please keep in mind that New Fairfield is still very much a summer town, with many lakeside communities that serve as vacation/second homes for NYers and which are considered "vacant" because the owners live elsewhere and are not counted as residents. Candlewood Isle is a perfect example -- on paper it would show a vacancy rate of about 50% Candlewood Isle however is charming and not remotely full of vacant abandoned homes. Just summertime residents who go back to the City after Labor Day

With the exception of 2 small age restricted (55+) developments, there are no condos in town.

Norwalk is a city. If you've written off Danbury as an option, then you will definitely not want Norwalk either.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:04 PM

830 posts, read 1,092,602 times
If you can get into Ridgefield at that price point, do it, but it would be tough. Obviously you would get much more in New Fairfield, but there's barely a town. New Canaan not remotely in your budget. Bethel also a good option.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:09 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:

Ridgefield
Wilton
Town of Fairfield
NF
Bethel
Trumbull
Shelton
Monroe

Norwalk is a small city. It is unlikely you will find the land you desire there. Also note that schools there struggle.

CTaetist is correct that it is unlikely you will find the land you desire in Fairfield. You might get a half acre but more likely the house will be on a smaller lot. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut