Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:37 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,183,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
These are great points. After the last budget go around, the best performing districts are receiving little if any state funding, especially relative to the poor performing urban districts. And I don't have a problem with that. But the idea that the state is also going to dictate the size and composition based on some arbitrary criteria that has nothing to do with school performance (and when they provide little to no funding) is asinine. And you're right that there are ulterior motives at play here.
Looks to me like the GA Leadership is trying a two-front pressure campaign on the Teachers Unions and the Suburban Municipal Administrations. Like a shot across the bow to get the leadership of the towns to go on record to endorse higher property taxes than already assessed and let the TUs feel that a few sacred cows are able to be slaughtered.

There's zero chance this even gets to the floor in it's current form, and personally I'm against it as it stands. But there's going to have to be movement and compromise from these two very powerful interest groups to help the state thrive (which actually helps those towns, not incidentally). As well, the idea that's there's some mystical giant pool of state money going to "undeserving folks" needs to wane because when looking at the facts it is based in as much reality as saying that Giant Unicorns are the cause of our budget issues.

The question is for those that complain constantly about the high taxes is what way do we actually go about solving it with a grip on the fact based source of the issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:55 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Shocking that Torrington is all for this. Absolutely shocking.
Torrington is looking at Litchfield with dollar signs in its eyes.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:58 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Well I think this would save a substantial amount of money. As the state runs the teachers pensions even towns that funded by local tax have an impact on the state budget. The judgement call will be how much will achievement be affected by the change. I think it might be worth a shot as a trial at least, the potential budget impacts are quite large. But I agree we don't want to completely destroy the good parts of our existing schools.
If you want to force regionalism it might work better to start with things like police and fire and maintenance crews.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
The way I read this Litchfield would join another system but would not have to Join Torrington.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 AM

786 posts, read 823,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Precisely

Old 01-29-2019, 11:23 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
There are apparently multiple bills before our state house to act on. It seems the one targeting districts with less than 2,000 students is the least evil of them all.
The most? The one one that targets towns with less than 40,000 residents — they too apparently should join and regionilize with their nearest large town a/k/a, by Connecticut standards, “city.”
Irrespective of the fact that CT “cities,” 9 out of 10 times entirely suck ass...

Old 01-29-2019, 12:35 PM

786 posts, read 823,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
There are apparently multiple bills before our state house to act on. It seems the one targeting districts with less than 2,000 students is the least evil of them all.
The most? The one one that targets towns with less than 40,000 residents — they too apparently should join and regionilize with their nearest large town a/k/a, by Connecticut standards, “city.”
Irrespective of the fact that CT “cities,” 9 out of 10 times entirely suck ass...
Thankfully Westport has 5,500 students although I highly doubt either bill gets through the door.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:28 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Well I think this would save a substantial amount of money. As the state runs the teachers pensions even towns that funded by local tax have an impact on the state budget. The judgement call will be how much will achievement be affected by the change. I think it might be worth a shot as a trial at least, the potential budget impacts are quite large. But I agree we don't want to completely destroy the good parts of our existing schools.
If you want to force regionalism it might work better to start with things like police and fire and maintenance crews.
Why not move the teachers pensions to the municipalities? It allows the wealthy suburbs to gold plate them if they want to on their own dime.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Why not move the teachers pensions to the municipalities? It allows the wealthy suburbs to gold plate them if they want to on their own dime.
You could in theory but I'm not sure at the moment even the gold plated communities could handle that under current property tax levels. It would have to be a slow handover.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:21 PM

184 posts, read 106,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
Jay, why does it surprise you that Democrats would propose solutions to problems that don't even exist ?
Nearly everything lately that they touch is based on their quest for power and their perception of what ails CT, and on the grand scale, the entire country.
Wait, so you will complain about taxes being to high, and then when the Democrats propose something that COULD potentially fix it a little bit, there is a problem that does not exist?

I hate this idea myself, but hey, they are addressing a problem.

I kinda of get the idea that schools with less then thirty kids in it, that is an issue. But what has not been put on here is how many communities this would effect, and how the 2000 number came to be.

I am part of the problem here, complaining about something without knowing 100% of the facts.

But you want it both ways here. Slam a political party for the sake of slamming it. Come with something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut