Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 02:28 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

[quote=CTartist;59848965]Where did you live aquietpath?

Litchfield County. Absolutely the prettiest area, but my opinion on the mindset of the majority of its inhabitants still stands. My apologies if anyone is offended.

Old 12-06-2020, 03:43 PM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingforserenity View Post
Thank you for your kind words! It has been a struggle we were not prepared for, not in a city/county of this size with a major University. My husband was born and raised in Ohio and has been extremely saddened by the turn it has taken in many areas. We're trying to expand our prospects to other North-eastern/Eastern states, but Connecticut keeps calling me! I've never been there - it just sounds beautiful. Where is your family trying to relocate from? I saw you have family in New Jersey and Maine. My husband worked in Maine for a bit and said it was beautiful.

I am hoping after the new year we can find the right place for us! I hope you and your family have the same luck! Have a wonderful holiday season and stay safe!
You know why CT keeps calling you and why you logged on to the CT Forum? because you belong here. Right now. It beckons you, watch out for it. It might not be for everyone but it should be.
Many this year have already made the switch. They're lovin' it. Who wouldn't. The Pequots sure did, they weren't giving it up without a fight.
The people, the food, the culture, the outdoor activities on and off land. No one cares about your choice for president or whether you like men or women. It ain't perfect, nowhere is, but damn is it close. Top it if you can.

Another great day in the Constitution State. Wow

Old 12-06-2020, 04:42 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
[quote=aquietpath;59849260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Where did you live aquietpath?

Litchfield County. Absolutely the prettiest area, but my opinion on the mindset of the majority of its inhabitants still stands. My apologies if anyone is offended.
Thanks for saying where you lived. Now it makes sense.

I want to point this out to the searchingforserenity. There are a few areas that went for Trump in CT. A portion of Litchfield County did. This is ironic. Some of my relatives that are heavy duty Republicans from Fairfield County moved to Litchfield County and they love it there. These are my relatives that love Donald Trump, act like Trump and think like Trump. I have been arguing with these relatives on Facebook. Good riddance to them.....I hope I never see them again.

Searchinforserenity.....if you stick to the towns that are the bluest like I pointed out in earlier posts you won't be encountering a lot of people with a Donald Trump mindset. In the picture below you will see Litchfield County and the map that shows which towns went for Trump. All the towns on the right side of CT that are pinkish and reddish I have never been to those towns at all. I have never been to most of the pinkish and reddish towns in Litchfield County either.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CountiesMap.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	634.5 KB
ID:	225629

That is why my view of CT is so different than aquietpath's. He might have lived in the part of Litchfield County that is "pinkish and reddish". I have never been to those places and surmise if many are Trump fans I would not like it either no matter how beautiful the towns look.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:12 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
There’s some places there that are popular with NYers looking for seclusion. So those types may be less outgoing and friendly as they’re explicitly there to AVOID people.

You can’t generalize an entire state based on one experience. Some people have the opposite experience.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:48 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Please don’t associate friendliness in Litchfield County with politics. It is an incorrect perception and is also unnecessarily divisive. The area attracts people who are naturally more reserved. There are definitely some towns that can be perceived as snobby but they are just as likely to vote blue. Litchfield, Roxbury, Washington, Kent all have their share of elitists and are decidedly blue on that map.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:24 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Please don’t associate friendliness in Litchfield County with politics. It is an incorrect perception and is also unnecessarily divisive. The area attracts people who are naturally more reserved. There are definitely some towns that can be perceived as snobby but they are just as likely to vote blue. Litchfield, Roxbury, Washington, Kent all have their share of elitists and are decidedly blue on that map.
Exactly. The politicization of this discussion is really unproductive, and that what of looking at things is part of the problem.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:38 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
This, exactly. +1.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:44 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Exactly. The politicization of this discussion is really unproductive, and that what of looking at things is part of the problem.
Then you didn't read fist post and this one by "searchingforserenity" the OP. This was a later post by "SFS". Even before she made the post below I picked up on what she was asking for in her original post........

We don't put our politics out there at all. But quite a lot of the area act out hatefully toward people who are different and apparently the way we live our lives and interact with people is different. We go on family walks and wave and say hello. About 10% of the time, we get a smile and wave in return. The rest of the time we are ignored or given dirty looks or spoken to rudely. We ride bikes, have kayak racks, wear concert tshirts (instead of fluorescent shirts or Buckeye gear), put National Parks stickers on our car. We don't drive big trucks or sit on our front stoops in pajama pants, barefoot, smoking. We don't have a southern accent (we're from Chicago and Cleveland) Apparently, around here, because we do not fit the mould, we are the enemy. This is not normal politics. It is not the usual Republican/Democrat disagree on the issues but we get along and understand that we are entitled to our opinions. It is paranoia, anger and hate. I'm know there are other suburbs around Columbus where we could fit in a little more, but we're over Ohio. We've been here a long time and see how it has changed and we are ready for something new....."searchingforserenity"

This is one thread where I can say it is specifically about politics and their desire to live with like minded people. That is the reason upon retirement I WILL NOT move down to the southern states. That is also the reason why I WILL NOT move to the Harwinton area. I would not take a mansion up in the Harwinton area for free.
Harwinton 60% Trump
Watertown 62% Trump
Thomaston 63% Trump
Wolcott 65% Trump
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...nnecticut.html

"SFS" is an artist and her husband works with special needs. I am a Music Therapist (that works with special needs individuals) and an artist. I feel like I know them.

Here is the area I am looking at for the same reason "SFS" is attracted to CT in retirement. My husband was a real bonafide hippie (and still is lol) in the day loves it up in the Branford/Guilford/Madison area. Below is a part of the equation of why we like that area.....I have no doubt.
Branford 59% Biden
Guilford 64% Biden
Madison 61% Biden

I STAND BY MY POSTS....even the sections that got deleted because as "searchingforserenity stated" "This is not normal politics".

Old 12-10-2020, 08:15 AM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Then you didn't read fist post and this one by "searchingforserenity" the OP. This was a later post by "SFS". Even before she made the post below I picked up on what she was asking for in her original post........

We don't put our politics out there at all. But quite a lot of the area act out hatefully toward people who are different and apparently the way we live our lives and interact with people is different. We go on family walks and wave and say hello. About 10% of the time, we get a smile and wave in return. The rest of the time we are ignored or given dirty looks or spoken to rudely. We ride bikes, have kayak racks, wear concert tshirts (instead of fluorescent shirts or Buckeye gear), put National Parks stickers on our car. We don't drive big trucks or sit on our front stoops in pajama pants, barefoot, smoking. We don't have a southern accent (we're from Chicago and Cleveland) Apparently, around here, because we do not fit the mould, we are the enemy. This is not normal politics. It is not the usual Republican/Democrat disagree on the issues but we get along and understand that we are entitled to our opinions. It is paranoia, anger and hate. I'm know there are other suburbs around Columbus where we could fit in a little more, but we're over Ohio. We've been here a long time and see how it has changed and we are ready for something new....."searchingforserenity"

This is one thread where I can say it is specifically about politics and their desire to live with like minded people. That is the reason upon retirement I WILL NOT move down to the southern states. That is also the reason why I WILL NOT move to the Harwinton area. I would not take a mansion up in the Harwinton area for free.
Harwinton 60% Trump
Watertown 62% Trump
Thomaston 63% Trump
Wolcott 65% Trump

"SFS" is an artist and her husband works with special needs. I am a Music Therapist (that works with special needs individuals) and an artist. I feel like I know them.

Here is the area I am looking at for the same reason "SFS" is attracted to CT in retirement. My husband was a real bonafide hippie (and still is lol) in the day loves it up in the Branford/Guilford/Madison area. Below is a part of the equation of why we like that area.....I have no doubt.
Branford 59% Biden
Guilford 64% Biden
Madison 61% Biden

I STAND BY MY POSTS....even the sections that got deleted because as "searchingforserenity stated" "This is not normal politics".
SFS may be an artist but can she perfect Art Tatum's greatest hits on an electric piano like you can? Doubt it.

Another poster brought up unfriendlyness in the state, not the OP.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:52 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Quote:

Harwinton 60% Trump
Watertown 62% Trump
Thomaston 63% Trump
Wolcott 65% Trump

Branford 59% Biden
Guilford 64% Biden
Madison 61% Biden

Oh come on. Wolcott isn’t even in Litchfield County.

I used to live in Watertown and I can assure you it is nothing like the rural South. There are more Hate Has No Home Here signs than Trump signs in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut