Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 02:36 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,088,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
Thanks everyone I apprecaite all of these great ideas. The only lodging we have booked so far is a hotel in Avon as part of the wedding block. We sre staying at Avon Old Farms Hotel for the night before the wedding and the night of the wedding. We will leave the hotel on Sunday but I do have a cousin in Avon that we hope to visit before heading out. Right now on Sunday we plan on heading to the New Haven area. I noticed that Madison is not far away so thought of staying in Madison two night and taking a day trip down the coast toward Mystic. Then checking out New Haven in the evening and then again on our way to Easton where another cousin lives. We will stay with her a night or two then thought we should hit NYC on the train that my cousin says will get us there in a hour and a half. Someone mentioned not bothering with NYC? Im asssuming they have lifted travel requirements there too? It seems we should go since we are so close.

As much as we love Massachussets I think we will skip it this time. Our daughter and husband were stationed there for 4 years and we saw most of the area already mentioned in the last 5 years.

I much appreciate all the advice and suggestions please keep them coming.
NYC has some limits, but things are getting better, plus, since your trip is in June, outdoor dining options will be robust.

I wouldn't avoid it. In addition, if its open and the line isn't too long, check out in NYC (for the entertainment, food is Chilis quality):

https://www.ellensstardustdiner.com/

I suspect by June they are open months. Some of the staff have amazing voices, and have gotten a small amount of time in Broadway minor roles. NYC, while still having tough restrictions, is starting to loosen. Ct is 100% occupancy, although 6' rule cuts it to 50% effectively.

I wouldn't skip NYC when coming from so far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 12:40 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,837,430 times
You received some good responses I'll just add.

Visit the National Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, MA.

After you can go next door to Pizzeria Uno and get a real Chicago deep dish pizza.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:47 PM

367 posts, read 780,875 times
If NYC is a top destination for hubby, there are a lot of outdoor options that would alleviate trying to plan around Covid restrictions. Central Park: Grab some street vendor food and enjoy a lovely ramble. Or head all the way downtown and take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. It's FREE and a lovely ride which gives fantastic views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and lower Manhattan.

If possible I would avoid the train (Covid) and drive in.

Old 03-22-2021, 04:30 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTlibrarian View Post
If NYC is a top destination for hubby, there are a lot of outdoor options that would alleviate trying to plan around Covid restrictions. Central Park: Grab some street vendor food and enjoy a lovely ramble. Or head all the way downtown and take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. It's FREE and a lovely ride which gives fantastic views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and lower Manhattan.

If possible I would avoid the train (Covid) and drive in.
Trains are still empty, except at early morning -formerly rush hours.

Last report MTA indicated line is at around 20% pre covid levels.

I would avoid subways, use cabs, as subway ridership , while not back, is far further along towards pre covid levels.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:49 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,616 times
Hello all, just thought I’d update on our plans so far. We are booked into the hotel in Avon for the weekend of the wedding. On Sunday, we are headed to Beech Tree cottages in Madison for 3 nights. I went to Madison with my parents as a young child so has special memories for me. We will check out Mystic and New Haven while down this way. On Wednesday we head to See my cousin in Westport for one night then we plan to take the train to NYC for Thursday and Friday. Anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in NYC? My cousin recommended the Courtyard Marriott in Manhattan/Times Square but I’m also looking at Airbnb. After that we’ll go back to my cousins for a night and then my other cousin is having a July 4th party for us at her house. Then we’ll stay with her and head back to the airport the next morning.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:04 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Hello all, just thought I’d update on our plans so far. We are booked into the hotel in Avon for the weekend of the wedding. On Sunday, we are headed to Beech Tree cottages in Madison for 3 nights. I went to Madison with my parents as a young child so has special memories for me. We will check out Mystic and New Haven while down this way. On Wednesday we head to See my cousin in Westport for one night then we plan to take the train to NYC for Thursday and Friday. Anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in NYC? My cousin recommended the Courtyard Marriott in Manhattan/Times Square but I’m also looking at Airbnb. After that we’ll go back to my cousins for a night and then my other cousin is having a July 4th party for us at her house. Then we’ll stay with her and head back to the airport the next morning.
Don’t miss Guilford Green while in Madison. And Stonington Borough by Mystic.

I’ve always had luck with Hilton Garden Inn’s in Manhattan.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:22 AM

I finally booked our plane tickets yesterday and figured I would go ahead and book the rental car and then I was amazed at the rental car prices. Oh my! The prices I'm being quoted are twice the price of the plane tickets. Does anyone have hints for getting a better deal. Or alternatives to renting a car?
I found Turo and looked into that. It's definetly cheaper so that is an option. It seems the Avon Hotel offers an airport shuttle so can utilize that. There are several days we won't even need a car so wondering if we can do without Is Uber around or Lyft? Even Taxi's? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Old 05-02-2021, 10:27 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
I finally booked our plane tickets yesterday and figured I would go ahead and book the rental car and then I was amazed at the rental car prices. Oh my! The prices I'm being quoted are twice the price of the plane tickets. Does anyone have hints for getting a better deal. Or alternatives to renting a car?
I found Turo and looked into that. It's definetly cheaper so that is an option. It seems the Avon Hotel offers an airport shuttle so can utilize that. There are several days we won't even need a car so wondering if we can do without Is Uber around or Lyft? Even Taxi's? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
New Haven you can take the Hartford Line to State Street station and just walk around.

Most of the shoreline is well connected with Metro North and Shoreline East.

Look at rental offices in smaller towns. The airport ones are always going to be more. You can take a rideshare and/or train to one. Uber/Lyft is available almost anywhere unless you’re in a super rural area.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:38 AM

I looked up the Hartford Line, looks like a train. Will this take us from new haven to the Madison beach area and down to Mystic and back? Will it take us to and from the airport as well? Thank you for your ideas

Old 05-02-2021, 10:52 AM

34,946 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Of course Uber is around so it’s a good option. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut