Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 04:44 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,996,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
In regards to Franklin Giant Grinder

The food is still the same IMO. The service may be sub par, but this is mostly a take out place that also receives a lot of phone orders.

To be open for 40+ years means a lot. Most restaurants can't even make 10 years, so they are doing something right.
I don't know, it had been many years between visits. Last time was about 5 years ago and my grinder was mostly shredded lettuce. Didn't even get heated like I asked.

And the place was absolutely filthy. I would never go back nor recommend it. It's not just me, they've got plenty of reviews saying the same things over the past 10 years.

I went to the Cornerstone a few years ago and that was still as good as I remembered in the 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 06:49 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,044,751 times
Barcelona is good, but I prefer New Milford’s Zaragoza. Smaller menu but better prep/presentation, and an outstanding bar.

I enjoy Claire’s too - definitely iconic for vegetarian food.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:53 PM

21,792 posts, read 28,161,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTlibrarian View Post
So many pizza places on the list! Agree with the places that others have mentioned. Here are a few others that I consider iconic:

Merritt Canteen
Sycamore Drive In
Jimmie's of Savin Rock
Blue Colony Diner (Newtown)
Claire's Corner Copia
I’d agree with some of those. Iconic for residents, just not nationally. That will be Frank Pepe, Louis Lunch, etc.

Other iconic ones for CT residents not on their list:

Stowe’s
Abbott’s (not a fan, personally, worst lobster roll I’ve ever had)
Ford’s
Lenny’s
Mr Mac’s Canteen
Coromandel (owned the southwest Indian scene for a long time)
Union League
Griswold Inn
BAR

Could name many more. Lots of old school Italian places that have been around forever.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:08 PM

21,653 posts, read 31,269,696 times
A lot of the additional restaurants people are mentioning here are very good, but I’m not sure a lot are “iconic”.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:24 PM

328 posts, read 426,750 times
Long gone, but at one time the most iconic steakhouse in CT was the venerable Manaro's in Greenwich. Mouthwatering, generous, juicy cuts.

Terrific scene, too. Not Greenwich Mean Time, either. Factory workers and Tycoons hobnobbing at adjoining tables.

The memory of their Gorgonzola Salad makes my mouth water.

Two of the butchers from the restaurant now run a meat shop in town (Greenwich Prime Meats) where you can still get the salad.

But the place was most of the taste.

Old 03-19-2022, 09:53 AM

21,792 posts, read 28,161,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A lot of the additional restaurants people are mentioning here are very good, but I’m not sure a lot are “iconic”.
So few truly are. A handful.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:50 AM

2,220 posts, read 1,660,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I don't necessarily think Frank Pepe is the best New Haven style pizza we have, but it's the most iconic. I think it's an obvious choice and tends to get the most consistent attention nationwide.
I'm curious how would you compare Frank Pepe to Modern Apizza and Next Door? What do you think is the best pizza in New Haven?

I've had Frank Pepe in New Haven, and Modern. They are both really good, but I would actually give a slight edge to Modern because they have more options in terms of toppings and I feel it's a little fresher. I've never tried Next Door but heard great things about it.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:16 AM

1,241 posts, read 905,909 times
My New Haven favorite is Modern. I’ve eaten at the “Big 4” many, many times. They are all good but I like the pies and the service best at Modern.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:31 AM

853 posts, read 513,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I'm curious how would you compare Frank Pepe to Modern Apizza and Next Door? What do you think is the best pizza in New Haven?

I've had Frank Pepe in New Haven, and Modern. They are both really good, but I would actually give a slight edge to Modern because they have more options in terms of toppings and I feel it's a little fresher. I've never tried Next Door but heard great things about it.
The pizza discussion is a great example of iconic vs best. Pepe's the most iconic, but I think the majority of people prefer Sally's or Modern (myself included.)

Old 03-22-2022, 09:19 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,954,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post

Modern is better than Pepe's IMO. Its also more local, less touristy and just less of a hassle to deal with.

But the Spot is the best apizza in New Haven. . And yes, I distinguish the Spot from Frank Pepe next door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut