Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:14 AM

11 posts, read 35,250 times

Advertisements

Hi i currently live in long island, newyork i am looking to move to the hartford area.. i was looking at houses but i am stuck between two areas and was wondering which one is a better area.. one area is East St(06120) around the downtown area and the other is James St(06106)...I would appreciate as much feedback as possible thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 11,283 times
I have lived in Hartford for almost 10 years now and my husband spent his whole life in the city. From my own personal expierence, I would say James Street would be best. East street is located in the North End which has a bad reputation for being the worst area. It is close to downtown, yes, but I would personally suggest staying away from anywhere north of Church Street. James Street is in the Frog Hollow/ Parkville area. It is has a very big Hispanic area, espically Park Street. I am only stating what I have learned from living here for a while. It is a city, so it has good spots and bad spots. I perfer Asylum Hill/ West End myself. I live in the West End right now. I have lived all over the city. You may also want to look in East Hartford, Wethersfield, and West Hartford. They are smaller cities, but each border Hartford.
Hope it helps. If not, sorry for my ramblings

Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,263 times
Good advice above. Definitely avoid East St., or anything else in the North End, especially the eastern half of the North End.

James St. is at the SW corner of the West End or the NW corner of Parkville (depending on how you reckon), and in terms of the safety and sketchiness of the area, I'm guessing it's somewhere in the B to B-minus range. Prospect Ave., three blocks to the west, is an A-minus or B-plus -- when I would walk there late at night, I'd keep my eyes open, but would feel reasonably safe. Whitney, three blocks to the east, is a C+ or C -- I wouldn't really want to walk around there after dark unless I had someone with me.

Things on these streets (Whitney, Beacon, et al.) improve once you get north of Capitol Ave., and there are lots of young professionals, artsy folks, LGBT folks, etc. living between Prospect and Whitney, Fern and Capitol -- the real heart of the West End. But James St. runs between Park and Capitol, so it's probably a bit sketchier.

Still, if you consider yourself streetwise, I'm sure it'll be fine, and if you're getting a good deal it's worth a shot. In terms of distance to various things, it's a nice location.

Last edited by goldenband; 05-13-2008 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-14-2008, 05:14 AM

Thanks Again ... i really appreciate the help

Old 05-20-2008, 01:56 PM

What do you guys think of of Asylum Hill?.... Sumner St to be exact.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:38 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
It's a tad gross, frankly.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 PM

what is gross about it?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:44 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Asylum Hill has a crime problem. At one time I lived right near the Mark Twain House on Farmington Ave. which is a few blocks west of the AETNA headquarters. The area was alright during the daylight hours but at night you would see prostitutes, drug dealers and other unsavory elements milling about the street corners.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,411 times
The area isn't that bad. It is being cleaned up as we speak. It is historically one of the nicest area's of the city.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 AM

77 posts, read 238,287 times
I just returned from CT and choose to sign a lease in Clemens place on Farmington. I hope this was a great decision as I am moving from De.

I will say the two days i drove around and researched the West end and moving towards West Hartford were nice. I will prob go to Park St (the spanish) section for food and experience different culture, but i would never live there.

In my eyes the Mark Twain House is a divider of good and bad when driving down farmington. Anyhow, i look forward to my time in Hartford come June 9th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut