Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 12:46 PM

507 posts, read 343,909 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a place to call home. Please tell me if there are any locations in CT that fit the following description:

Pretty natural environment combined with a nice man-made environment. For example - trees, hills, water but also cute downtown area, well-kept properties, and a good variety of restaurants.

Not too "tight knit" - don't want to feel pressured to become enmeshed in the community, always running into people I know and getting stuck in conversations when just trying to run errands or take a walk.

Wholesome, classy, and not too snobby.

Convenient access to good groceries and other everyday essentials.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 01:42 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
We are looking for a place to call home. Please tell me if there are any locations in CT that fit the following description:

Pretty natural environment combined with a nice man-made environment. For example - trees, hills, water but also cute downtown area, well-kept properties, and a good variety of restaurants.

Not too "tight knit" - don't want to feel pressured to become enmeshed in the community, always running into people I know and getting stuck in conversations when just trying to run errands or take a walk.

Thank you!
I have a couple of suggestions but the wealthier towns in Fairfield County might be too snobby for you. Snobby, Wholesome and a few other things you mentioned are subjective. But here it goes. I really only know New Haven and Fairfield Counties. I am going to give you the HH income. It might give you a clue about the snob factor.

Guilford
On the water, beautiful town green, the people I have met there seem very nice. It is a good combination of classy but not too snobby. I think it ticks a lot of your boxes except there might not be enough restaurants & shopping for you. For instance, it has no Whole Foods. It has beaches.
HH Income: $108,000

Milford
Milford would be perfect except it has Route 1/The Post Road running through it. That might be too commercial for you but the people in Milford I have found are very down to earth/nice. It has great beaches. Here is the good side of Route 1, it has EVERYTHING you need.
HH Income: $95,000

New Canaan
No water but it ticks your boxes for natual beauty, well kept homes and a nice little downtown. Some people might feel it is too snobby.
HH Income: $200,000

Newtown
It borders lakes and has great natural beauty. It has a cute downtown area in Sandy Hook. The people are nice. I live in lower Fairfield County (Trumbull) and I find the people in northern Fairfield County are more friendly. It has shopping but not as much as lower Fairfield County near I-95 and Metro north corridor. Classy but not too snobby is a good description. Beautiful historic homes that are well kept. Take a ride up Route 25 through Newtown and you will see all the beautiful historic homes.
HH Income: $125,000
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045221

I will probably think of more but this might be a good start.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:23 PM

752 posts, read 553,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post

Thank you!
I think you should check out Milford and if you're looking further upstate West Hartford.

Milford is unpretentious, with a friendly downtown area with restaurants and bars. It doesn't have the "man-made" feel of newer shopping areas,but it has most of what you're looking for.

You might also look into West Harford. The Blue Back Square area has what you're looking for and the more manufactured feel you refer to.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Guilford
On the water, beautiful town green, the people I have met there seem very nice. It is a good combination of classy but not too snobby. I think it ticks a lot of your boxes except there might not be enough restaurants & shopping for you. For instance, it has no Whole Foods. It has beaches.
I forgot to tell you (shame on me) what I like the most about Guilford and why I want to retire in or near it. It has the Guilford Art Center so there are a lot of artists in the area.
https://guilfordartcenter.org

Old 10-01-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Newtown
It borders lakes and has great natural beauty. It has a cute downtown area in Sandy Hook. The people are nice. I live in lower Fairfield County (Trumbull) and I find the people in northern Fairfield County are more friendly. It has shopping but not as much as lower Fairfield County near I-95 and Metro north corridor. Classy but not too snobby is a good description. Beautiful historic homes that are well kept. Take a ride up Route 25 through Newtown and you will see all the beautiful historic homes.
There is an area in Newtown you might really like. Sandy Hook is in Newtown. There is an area in northern Newtown in Sandy Hook where they have this nice little community with boat docks, a little beach etc. on the lake. I have a friend that lived in many places in Fairfield County and she loves it up there. And you are close to the little cute downtown of Sandy Hook.

Here are some houses in the area.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_49259236
"This property has many unique features. Excellent location to I84, Rt 25, shopping centers, schools, parks, and fine dining. HOA fee is OPTIONAL - $70/annually for access to boat launch, beach, picnic area and parties."

This house has a picture of the little beach/lake area.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...l/pid_49083768

All of this is about a 10/15 minute ride to the Danbury Mall area where it has everything you need (shopping) also.

Old 10-01-2022, 05:00 PM

Thank you for these ideas!

Old 10-01-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
I think you should check out Milford and if you're looking further upstate West Hartford.

Milford is unpretentious, with a friendly downtown area with restaurants and bars. It doesn't have the "man-made" feel of newer shopping areas,but it has most of what you're looking for.

You might also look into West Harford. The Blue Back Square area has what you're looking for and the more manufactured feel you refer to.

Good luck!
Just to clarify what I meant by "man-made environment" - I just mean anything people built, I would like it to be attractive / charming. I don't mean new or manufactured looking.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:07 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:
I have a couple of suggestions but the wealthier towns in Fairfield County might be too snobby for you. Snobby, Wholesome and a few other things you mentioned are subjective. But here it goes. I really only know New Haven and Fairfield Counties. I am going to give you the HH income. It might give you a clue about the snob factor.

Guilford

Milford
Milford would be perfect except it has Route 1/The Post Road running through it. That might be too commercial for you but the people in Milford I have found are very down to earth/nice. It has great beaches. Here is the good side of Route 1, it has EVERYTHING you need.

New Canaan
No water but it ticks your boxes for natual beauty, well kept homes and a nice little downtown. Some people might feel it is too snobby.

Newtown

I second Newtown. I live in Bethel, and was to add it to this list, only thing is that it is getting over developed.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:50 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:

Guilford

Milford

New Canaan

Newtown

These are good suggestions, though it should be noted that New Canaan is insanely expensive. I never realized what a lovely town Milford was until I got off the Post Road and took a tour of the other areas.

In the past, I would have included Fairfield, where I live, but I think it is becoming overdeveloped.

I would also mention Litchfield and the area around it. There are some really nice towns in that area. And the shoreline east of New Haven (which includes Guilford) is very charming. Madison is also a really nice town.

This is a nice question to answer because I think there are lots of places in Connecticut that will meet the OP's criteria. People who ask these types of questions are often looking for a unicorn (such as inexpensive, diverse areas with excellent schools) that doesn't exist, but this is a realistic request that exists in different forms around the state.

Old 10-02-2022, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

This is a nice question to answer because I think there are lots of places in Connecticut that will meet the OP's criteria. People who ask these types of questions are often looking for a unicorn (such as inexpensive, diverse areas with excellent schools) that doesn't exist, but this is a realistic request that exists in different forms around the state.

I am only talking about 2 counties so there are 6 others where people will give the OP other suggestions.

Dazzleman, how about Old Saybrook. I have never been there, but my friends said I need to check it out for retirement. When they talk about Old Saybrook it sounds like what the OP is looking for. The little downtown is near the water.

Mystic/Stonington. I have been there and it ticks many boxes too. My husband's cousin lived there. For me it is too far removed from New Haven a major city with an excellent hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut