Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 1,647 times

Advertisements

what about parkway, north st and central? Also considering they all roll into the HS... how does that impact things there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 08:47 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
New Lebanon has a not so good ranking of #171 in the state.

And even worse academic percentages:
Proficient Reading: 57%
Proficient Math: 37%

These percentages should be in mid-80s.
For most those numbers won't mean jack squat when they're grown and working in the real world.
If you can read english and you're good at math, then you can read english and you're good at math.
Going to a school with lower numbers won't mean you all of a sudden can't read and do math anymore.

It's 2023 folks

Old 06-13-2023, 09:36 AM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste390 View Post
what about parkway, north st and central? Also considering they all roll into the HS... how does that impact things there?
These are fine and Greenwich HS was recently ranked #9 in the state.

Keep in mind parkway flows into WMS.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:30 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
As far as I can remember Greenwich is ranked in the top 10 or 15 out of 169 districts which is the cream of the crop. Even if a town is in the top 25 that is still an excellent school system.

There are some websites you can check to see the overall district rating and individual school ratings.

Niche has Greenwich at #3. You can see individual schools too.
https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes.../s/connecticut

Here are SAT scores that has Greenwich in the top 15.
https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/KptXG/1

I was curious about the New Lebanon school. I see it is in Byram. I worked in Byram and there is affordable housing, 2 and 3 family homes etc. Believe it or not it is a working class area. This site goes by test scores and it says New Lebanon is 318 out of 490.
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CT/d...10/search.aspx

I worked in Riverside also which I perceived to be wealthy so lets take a look.
Riverside school 2nd out of 2nd out of 490
Eastern Middle School 4th our out 250
International School 9th out of 490
North Mianus School 16th out of 490
Old Greenwich School 7th out of 490

The poster "beerisgood" is right 2 ways:
1) beer is good
2) New Lebanon school is no so hotsy totsy

Last edited by CTartist; 06-13-2023 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-13-2023, 12:10 PM

53 posts, read 56,754 times
Default From a 27 year veteran in town

Hello as I put in the heading, I’ve lived in town for 27 years. My daughters went to the public school and Greenwich Catholic school. I have friends and I’m going to be sarcastic here that spent $30,000 10 years ago to send there pre teens to Greenwich Academy or Greenwich country day or Brunswick ( boys only)…. But they do get to put that sticker on the back of the Range Rover that says the school that they send their kids to… OK now that I got that out-of-the-way lol. The public schools are absolutely 1000% as good as any private school. But the town is changing. As the younger New York City people move to town. They are many times more status concerned …..So little Thurston Howell the third is going to go to a private school and their parent is going to rave about it at Pilate classes or “the club” ( I hear them all the time at the Greenwich country club) …. More to demonstrate that they can afford to pay for it….then what actual value in offers, so don’t believe the hype the public schools are awesome.

Old 06-13-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvon.zipper View Post
Hello as I put in the heading, I’ve lived in town for 27 years. My daughters went to the public school and Greenwich Catholic school. I have friends and I’m going to be sarcastic here that spent $30,000 10 years ago to send there pre teens to Greenwich Academy or Greenwich country day or Brunswick ( boys only)…. But they do get to put that sticker on the back of the Range Rover that says the school that they send their kids to… OK now that I got that out-of-the-way lol. The public schools are absolutely 1000% as good as any private school. But the town is changing. As the younger New York City people move to town. They are many times more status concerned …..So little Thurston Howell the third is going to go to a private school and their parent is going to rave about it at Pilate classes or “the club” ( I hear them all the time at the Greenwich country club) …. More to demonstrate that they can afford to pay for it….then what actual value in offers, so don’t believe the hype the public schools are awesome.
It's not just Thurston Howells. The Mary Anns and Professors of the world with either higher incomes (dual or one parent working), assets outside of W2 income, or both, also go privates for whatever their reasons. They may want more faith based, they may prefer smaller and focused classrooms, more discipline, less jackasses, cliques and bullying, who knows. To each their own as some like to say

Old 06-13-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
As far as I can remember Greenwich is ranked in the top 10 or 15 out of 169 districts which is the cream of the crop. Even if a town is in the top 25 that is still an excellent school system.

There are some websites you can check to see the overall district rating and individual school ratings.

Niche has Greenwich at #3. You can see individual schools too.
https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes.../s/connecticut

Here are SAT scores that has Greenwich in the top 15.
https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/KptXG/1

I was curious about the New Lebanon school. I see it is in Byram. I worked in Byram and there is affordable housing, 2 and 3 family homes etc. Believe it or not it is a working class area. This site goes by test scores and it says New Lebanon is 318 out of 490.
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CT/d...10/search.aspx

I worked in Riverside also which I perceived to be wealthy so lets take a look.
Riverside school 2nd out of 2nd out of 490
Eastern Middle School 4th our out 250
International School 9th out of 490
North Mianus School 16th out of 490
Old Greenwich School 7th out of 490

The poster "beerisgood" is right 2 ways:
1) beer is good
2) New Lebanon school is no so hotsy totsy
and none of this will make an iota of difference when a Greenwich kid grows up.
A kid is going to succeed in life or not. New Lebanon, whatever New Labanon is I don't know, won't have any impact whatsover. That's just for you CT hoighty toightys to sneer about.
Wake up guys, it's 2023 these days

Old 06-13-2023, 05:01 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
and none of this will make an iota of difference when a Greenwich kid grows up.
Well I am from Stamford. I worked in Greenwich. I had friends/family in Greenwich. Boyfriends from Greenwich and my sibling's married spouses are from Greenwich.

In the long run excellent schools make a difference.

Look at the list of notable alumni from Greenwich HS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_High_School

Here the notable alumni from my HS which is no that far away from Greenwich HS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westhi...l_(Connecticut)

Greenwich HS: Christopher A. Sims - winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics 2011

Trust me on this one thing......hell would probably have to freeze over before a Nobel Prize winner comes out of Westhill HS lol. My HS was the best public HS in Stamford.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:21 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Well I am from Stamford. I worked in Greenwich. I had friends/family in Greenwich. Boyfriends from Greenwich and my sibling's married spouses are from Greenwich.

In the long run excellent schools make a difference.

Look at the list of notable alumni from Greenwich HS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_High_School

Here the notable alumni from my HS which is no that far away from Greenwich HS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westhi...l_(Connecticut)

Greenwich HS: Christopher A. Sims - winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics 2011

Trust me on this one thing......hell would probably have to freeze over before a Nobel Prize winner comes out of Westhill HS lol. My HS was the best public HS in Stamford.
What are you talking about? Former Governor Dan Malloy went to West Hill. That’s pretty impressive. Jay

Old 06-14-2023, 04:44 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Since I mostly subbed in middle schools when I subbed in Greenwich (though I did sub all the elementarys at one time or another as well as Greenwich HS several times) it was interesting how different each of the 3 middle schools were to me and I don't mean that in a bad way

Western had a vibe to what I'll call an "inner suburb" to "small urban" school (like maybe Stamford or Norwalk, but it certainly wasn't anything like one in say the Bronx or Bridgeport), Central seemed like a "typical suburban middle school" to me, and Eastern, which seems to have some surprise railing on here, really had the look and feel of a rich private school to me. And I think it showed in that it was very easy to get subbing assignments in Western, kind of moderately difficult for Central and almost impossible to get even a one day assignment in Eastern (I did but very very very occasionally and many times when I grabbed one it got removed at the last minute, I guess for one of "their" subs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut