Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:39 AM

31 posts, read 174,060 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Waterbury, Ct and i can't raise my kids here. It's a terrible place,in my opinion. I've seen people write about other town but what about Wallingford. Does anyone know anything about that town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 09:05 AM

217 posts, read 890,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamm View Post
I currently live in Waterbury, Ct and i can't raise my kids here. It's a terrible place,in my opinion. I've seen people write about other town but what about Wallingford. Does anyone know anything about that town?
Walligford is nice. Becareful lof which side of Walligford though. You want to be carefull of near Meriden. Walligford is becomeing built up, alot of new homes. People who work in NY are cummuting to Wallingford. Try Southingon and Chesire too. Plainville is also nice,small but nice.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Thank you for your reply

What side of Wallingford do you think is better? I thought about Southington, i think it's great but the problem is that I have a disablity and don't drive. I've heard Southington doesn't have any public transportation for me to get around with my children. At least Wallingford has Amtrak and buses. Do you think it's safe in Wallingford? I"m spanish but my kids are italian. Will I have problems with the KKK being that i'm hispanic?

Old 01-14-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamm View Post
What side of Wallingford do you think is better? I thought about Southington, i think it's great but the problem is that I have a disablity and don't drive. I've heard Southington doesn't have any public transportation for me to get around with my children. At least Wallingford has Amtrak and buses. Do you think it's safe in Wallingford? I"m spanish but my kids are italian. Will I have problems with the KKK being that i'm hispanic?
One thing with ct, there is not much public transportation. Wallignfordis nice. I kow people who have lived there. I would not worry about being hispanic one bit. YOu will be fine. The sideyou may be concerned with is the side that boders with Meriden(iam not sure which side that is) Still overall it is a nice town.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:58 AM

154 posts, read 802,079 times
The side near Meriden isn't THAT bad. Haha, you guys make it sound like Meriden is some 3rd world country. The worst parts of Meriden are on the West Side and near the train station.

That said, the best part of Wallingford is probably around the Main St./Center St. Area and also up along near Cheshire. The homes cost more in these areas than other parts of Wallingford but for a reason. I wouldn't live too close to Rt. 5 just because of the chain store congestion and too close too the Quinnipiac because I personally am afraid of flooding and a low water table.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:06 PM

Sorry did not mean to do that.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:59 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I was also looking in to east haven and Hamden. What do you think of those town? I'm not familiar with CT, just moved here from Alabama and moved into waterbury where my teen son has been picked on and the kids here all smoke and drink and don't seem to have any discipline. I need to move in 3 months so i'm looking into different towns. I appreciate all your help.
Lisa

Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Hi Lisamm,

I'm sorry to hear about the experience that your son is having. Hamden is a larger town with a population of 58,951. East Haven is half that size at 29,714. He might have a better experience in a smaller school. For that matter, have you considered Cheshire or Wallingford?

Rich

Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 14,063 times
I used to go to meetings in Wallingford, but never lived there. It's seems to be a nice town with Choate Rosemary Hall as one of the main focuses of the town. Choate is one of the best boarding schools in CT.

Donna

Old 01-16-2007, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 72,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njohnson View Post
The side near Meriden isn't THAT bad. Haha, you guys make it sound like Meriden is some 3rd world country. The worst parts of Meriden are on the West Side and near the train station.
I agree 100%, but I would add that the downtown area past the train station is no paradise either. Kind of weird, though, considering the police station and courthouse are right there.

I live on the east side of town, the last bastion of un-ghetto-ness in the city (for the meantime, at least).

Anyway, the parts of Wallingford near Meriden are mostly rural, much better than the 'burbs of either city. Probably, in fact, the best parts of both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut