Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 06:45 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbroker19 View Post
There are no systems in place to track the maximum benefit of 100K. I am in touch with Aetna (the administrator for the plan)on a daily basis, and they confirmed they have no idea what they are doing. Adverse selection will destroy this plan in 3 years max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeewap View Post
I applied for the insurance two months ago. I have not received a reply to the numerous messages I left asking about the status of my application, except for a rep leaving a message saying to please call her if I had any further questions. She didn't answer my question, nor answer my messages to her. I sent my application by certified mail, so am certain that they received it. Does anyone know how long it takes to get accepted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by weesy68 View Post
We just received Husky insurance and it took from Sept 15th until yesterday to receive our cards in the mail. I followed up about a month ago and it is a long drawn out process, I had to go to the DSS with every piece of ID we have, and then wait again. My counselor was very helpful, I would suggest you be patient but keep trying.

On a side note, having moved here recently from NYC, it's very refreshing to have had such courteous and efficient service from the DSS, it was frequently very hard dealing with the "attitude" in NYC when asking basic questions about healthcare. Every day I am happy in some way that we moved to CT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Husky is supposed to be open to all income levels, so I applied this summer for our children. We are self-employed, and our health insurance is now $900 a month with a $3000.00 deductible, no dental etc. Husky is a joke, they wanted to charge us more than what their website states we should have to pay with our income, (around $275.00 a month, per child is what they wanted to charge us) and my "counselor" would not return a single one of my numerous phone calls. I asked to speak to someone else and was told I could only speak to her. We kept getting letters asking us to call, but the woman simply refused to return my calls. You couldn't pay me to deal with state-run insurance now.
Read this few basic examples of what happens when government gets involved. Then realize some of you folks want to nationalize healthcare.

To add to this thread my mother decided to see what the Charter Oak plan was all about. She sent in an application - oh about 5 months ago, has not been contacted and gets no answers when she calls. Awesome!

If it takes 5 months for an application to be processed...what happens when you have a $50,000 medical bill at your door and/or a medical problem that needs coverage "now".

The problem IMHO is not the insurance companies (Although I do think they are not guiltless). The problem is the healthcare industry is simply out of cotnrol with what they charge. $600.00 for a 20 minute ultrasound? Are you serious? I'm happy if my business can pull $1000.00 for a 10 hour day of work, and I can guarantee you the equipment I operate costs more than that ultrasound machine!

People getting into the medical field simply for a money grab (Nothing like pulling almost 6 figures just for being a nurse!) shows you the root of the problem right there.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:24 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weesy68 View Post
We just received Husky insurance and it took from Sept 15th until yesterday to receive our cards in the mail. I followed up about a month ago and it is a long drawn out process, I had to go to the DSS with every piece of ID we have, and then wait again. My counselor was very helpful, I would suggest you be patient but keep trying.

On a side note, having moved here recently from NYC, it's very refreshing to have had such courteous and efficient service from the DSS, it was frequently very hard dealing with the "attitude" in NYC when asking basic questions about healthcare. Every day I am happy in some way that we moved to CT.
The reason it took so long is because HUSKY and Charter Oak are under the same program. A cousin of mine applied for HUSKY B back in June and everything didn't go through until the end of August. She didn't get coverage for her children until September 1st. She tells me she's having the worst time finding doctors that actually accept the plan. They provided her with a list, but half the doctors on the list don't accept the plan, and the ones that do are out of her way.

I talked to my private doctor about this. she told me that they've drastically reduced the amount of money for visits through their plans and it's basically not worth it to providers. She told me that for a well child care visit, the new plan will only pay $20 per visit. Her doctor's office charges me $100 - $200 per visit through my insurance for visits like this.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:33 AM

14 posts, read 29,259 times
I am in the process of applying for husky, we couldnt afford our private insurance anymore because my fiances business went bankrupt. Our financial situation is complicated and is why its taking so long, i started applying in august but i can tell u that everytime i call i have someone answer within 2 rings and they always tell me what i need to do next and are helpful but they are very detailed in what they need, and it definitely takes a long time. Although i was lied to about them backdating medical bills to the date i sent my application in, my social worker told me they do then i called yesterday and another lady told me thats not true and i had been taking my children to the doctors not worrried about paying the bills. I plan on fighting this, the workers should get their facts straight!

Old 11-14-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2getoutofhere View Post
Although i was lied to about them backdating medical bills to the date i sent my application in, my social worker told me they do then i called yesterday and another lady told me thats not true and i had been taking my children to the doctors not worrried about paying the bills. I plan on fighting this, the workers should get their facts straight!
Perhaps that will force you to realize that SOMEONE DOES pay those bills. I bet if you were, you wouldn't treat it like free candy...

Old 11-29-2009, 09:23 AM

14 posts, read 29,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Perhaps that will force you to realize that SOMEONE DOES pay those bills. I bet if you were, you wouldn't treat it like free candy...
who are you to judge me? you don't know my situation. In a year my family has gone from living in an $800,000 home in Glastonbury to having to move into my mothers house because a business partner embezzled millions from our company. NO ONE WANTS to have to get help from the state, its embarrassing and this has been beyond a difficult time for us. As a mom I want to give my children the world and because of a greedy business partner my children are suffering....SO DONT YOU DARE JUDGE ME. people like you make me sick.

We are hard working people, we don't take government money but my children DO need health insurance! I have ALWAYS paid for our own health insurance but now I have no choice but to get the states help, I would never wish this to happen to anyone but it does and if something like this ever happened to you, you BETTER BELIEVE you would be thankful there are programs like this, I most certainly am! And I will use it until we are back on our feet.

Last edited by ready2getoutofhere; 11-29-2009 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2getoutofhere View Post
who are you to judge me? you don't know my situation. In a year my family has gone from living in an $800,000 home in Glastonbury to having to move into my mothers house because a business partner embezzled millions from our company. NO ONE WANTS to have to get help from the state, its embarrassing and this has been beyond a difficult time for us. As a mom I want to give my children the world and because of a greedy business partner my children are suffering....SO DONT YOU DARE JUDGE ME. people like you make me sick.

We are hard working people, we don't take government money but my children DO need health insurance! I have ALWAYS paid for our own health insurance but now I have no choice but to get the states help, I would never wish this to happen to anyone but it does and if something like this ever happened to you, you BETTER BELIEVE you would be thankful there are programs like this, I most certainly am! And I will use it until we are back on our feet.
Who are you to ask me to pay for your childrens "healthcare" when you are in perfectly good health and are now broke because you failed at business? "How DARE YOU".

Not my problem. Take some responsibility for your own actions and decisions. I've made some huge blunders and never asked for a handout or expected anyone to pay for me. If you were hurt and could not provide for yourself, fine...if you were handicap in some way and could not provide for youself...fine. Get a second job - with insurance, and stop putting the burden on other people.

Judge? Dare? Please...Your own words say it all. You might want to look again, and stop blaming others FOR YOUR CHOICES and expect a handout.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:20 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,764 times
so good health care should be only for those who are lucky and fortunate to enough to afford it?

Old 11-29-2009, 07:48 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Jay-

What would you propose we do about her children? They did nothing to warrant a lack of medical care or basic services except have parents who had a business fail (for whatever reason).

Let's not personalize this and look at how children are handled in general. Having incompetent/ addicted/ or just plain poor parents is not something any child asks for... Nor something that they have any control over.

Saying "Tough Cookies-- You are responsible for yourself" maybe reasonable when you are talking to an able-bodied adult-- However when there are children in the mix who have no ability to work and insure themselves-- or feed themselves-- or whatever the social program may be-- that we have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

If you have any realistic solutions, I'd love to read them...

Old 11-30-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
so good health care should be only for those who are lucky and fortunate to enough to afford it?
"lucky"?

Are you "lucky" at UCONN or do you work your butt off to do well?

Do you just draw straws to see who gets good grades and if you are "lucky" or "rich" (Fortunate) you get good grades?

Wait, what if you DO work your butt off and get a middle grade? Was the test "slanted" due to your background? Should we enforce "equality of grades for all"?

We have great healthcare in this country for everyone - Go to a hospital and see if you get turned away.

What you mean is "government provided health insurance" for everyone. I can't find that in the constitution, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Jay-

What would you propose we do about her children? They did nothing to warrant a lack of medical care or basic services except have parents who had a business fail (for whatever reason).

Let's not personalize this and look at how children are handled in general. Having incompetent/ addicted/ or just plain poor parents is not something any child asks for... Nor something that they have any control over.

Saying "Tough Cookies-- You are responsible for yourself" maybe reasonable when you are talking to an able-bodied adult-- However when there are children in the mix who have no ability to work and insure themselves-- or feed themselves-- or whatever the social program may be-- that we have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

If you have any realistic solutions, I'd love to read them...
As you'll see in my previous posts I have no problem taking care of children.

It's the parents that are the problem.
ready2getoutofhere: "i had been taking my children to the doctors not worrried about paying the bills."
My issue in this thread - if you read it through, is that ready2getoutofhere was spending someone elses money like a drunken sailor and freaked out when she found out she had to pay for it. All I pointed out is, if she WAS paying for it, perhaps the "shopping spree" would have been a little lighter.

Guess what? SOMEONE has to pay for it. This is the problem with "free" healthcare, it's NOT free and we as a nation have a large population segment that has an entitlement, grab all you can while it's on the shelf, I am responsible for nothing attitude.

The "general" culture in our country will bankrupt "free" healthcare in a flash.

I find it laughable that people in this country will think nothing of spending $150.00 for a night out, or $100 for a pair of sneakers, $800 for a freakin purse - yet FREAK OUT that they have to pay for a $150 routine doctor visit.

That's like calling your auto insurer to cover your oil changes.

P.S. I hate to tell you but children DO sometimes have to bear the weight of a "poor parent". It's reality and even if the "parent" just fell on hard times, we don't live in utopia where every sniffle is taken care of. It's up to the parents to find a way to provide, for their responsibility; their children! Period.

Last edited by JViello; 11-30-2009 at 04:35 AM..

Old 11-30-2009, 11:30 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Jviello-

I'm not sure we're talking about ever 'sniffie' getting taken care of. And if you are against social entitlements, you are against providing for children. (I don't know where you stand).

Yes, nothing is free, and yes, in the end everyone is responsible for themself. However, the social safety net was designed for children, the disabled, the elderly, etc, to have the basic necessities of life, which include food and healthcare. Sure, some take advantage of the system, however, the overwhelming majority of the beneficiaries fall in to the categories of elderly, children or disabled. And I have no problem with part of my taxes supporting a social safety net for that.

Better social welfare and education than endless wars in countries where the enemy has long ago packed up and left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut