Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:19 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times

Advertisements

For all forum members without health care, or seeking more affordable health care in Connecticut, the New Charter Oak Plan is based on income. Those from lower incomes will be subsidized heavily.

Please See Charter Oak Health Plan

This program is similar to the one in Massachusetts, but is not mandated.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:25 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Well, it's a start. I don't like the fact that it has a limit of 100,000.00 per year; something catastrophic like cancer can run much higher. And to qualify you must not have had insurance for six months prior; I'm not willing to drop our expensive private insurance for six months and cross my fingers hoping we don't get seriously injured/sick. Hopefully in time they will improve the plan, but as I said, at least it's a start. Thanks for sharing the info, skytrekker.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:46 AM

Yes, I agree andthentherewhere3 (was that not the name of a Genesis album circa 1978?)

It is a start- for many people who have nothing- and pay huge out of the pocket expenses- eventually some kind of single payer health system will need to be instituted- this is merely an incremental approach.

The 100K limit per year is not bad really- but should be higher.

The part of having no insurance for 6 months can be waived under hardship circumstances.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 AM

Yes indeed, I have that cd. My name also refers to the fact that we had two much older kids when suddenly a third came along.

The insurance is certainly better than nothing, hopefully it will be successful. But it doesn't take long to reach $100,000.00 for a serious illness, injury, disease, or cancer. I've known friends to have medical bills of several hundred thousand dollars for a single illness. (such as cancer or heart disease) Since we are getting older, I hear that clock ticking in my head, wondering how much longer we will be lucky enough to avoid a serious illness. But for someone with no insurance whatsoever, this would be better than nothing. I do like the fact that this insurance has a low deductible; ours is high.

This insurance is also good for individuals with pre-existing conditions; right now many companies will refuse to insure pre-existing conditions. I have encountered that problem, and it wasn't even a serious illness.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
would it be possible to apply for this plan and then apply for an individual critical illness policy that would cover in the case of a serious illness. CI coverage will typically cover only major illnesses, like cancer, heart attack, but may help once you reach your health plan max. Not sure what it would take to qualify for one though? Just a thought.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Yes indeed, I have that cd. My name also refers to the fact that we had two much older kids when suddenly a third came along.

The insurance is certainly better than nothing, hopefully it will be successful. But it doesn't take long to reach $100,000.00 for a serious illness, injury, disease, or cancer. I've known friends to have medical bills of several hundred thousand dollars for a single illness. (such as cancer or heart disease) Since we are getting older, I hear that clock ticking in my head, wondering how much longer we will be lucky enough to avoid a serious illness. But for someone with no insurance whatsoever, this would be better than nothing. I do like the fact that this insurance has a low deductible; ours is high.

This insurance is also good for individuals with pre-existing conditions; right now many companies will refuse to insure pre-existing conditions. I have encountered that problem, and it wasn't even a serious illness.

The demographics are the problem in health care- and the demon for American economic growth-either reform or?
I feel this plan is a start- I am sure that it will be upgraded soon. It does help those struggling with basic health care needs- and a bit beyond. Remember there is a 100K per year max- and 1 million lifetime.

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-09-2008 at 09:45 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 PM

7 posts, read 26,447 times
There are no systems in place to track the maximum benefit of 100K. I am in touch with Aetna (the administrator for the plan)on a daily basis, and they confirmed they have no idea what they are doing. Adverse selection will destroy this plan in 3 years max.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,529 times
I applied for the insurance two months ago. I have not received a reply to the numerous messages I left asking about the status of my application, except for a rep leaving a message saying to please call her if I had any further questions. She didn't answer my question, nor answer my messages to her. I sent my application by certified mail, so am certain that they received it. Does anyone know how long it takes to get accepted?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 PM

131 posts, read 479,591 times
We just received Husky insurance and it took from Sept 15th until yesterday to receive our cards in the mail. I followed up about a month ago and it is a long drawn out process, I had to go to the DSS with every piece of ID we have, and then wait again. My counselor was very helpful, I would suggest you be patient but keep trying.

On a side note, having moved here recently from NYC, it's very refreshing to have had such courteous and efficient service from the DSS, it was frequently very hard dealing with the "attitude" in NYC when asking basic questions about healthcare. Every day I am happy in some way that we moved to CT.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:18 AM

Husky is supposed to be open to all income levels, so I applied this summer for our children. We are self-employed, and our health insurance is now $900 a month with a $3000.00 deductible, no dental etc. Husky is a joke, they wanted to charge us more than what their website states we should have to pay with our income, (around $275.00 a month, per child is what they wanted to charge us) and my "counselor" would not return a single one of my numerous phone calls. I asked to speak to someone else and was told I could only speak to her. We kept getting letters asking us to call, but the woman simply refused to return my calls. You couldn't pay me to deal with state-run insurance now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut