Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 07:42 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times

Advertisements

adjustment?

I realize to a degree you get what you pay for, so there are things that Ct has is closer to than those states that you moved from. In general, how tight did you have to pull the "wallet strings"

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 07:55 AM

18 posts, read 78,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
adjustment?

I realize to a degree you get what you pay for, so there are things that Ct has is closer to than those states that you moved from. In general, how tight did you have to pull the "wallet strings"

Thanks!!
Well we are looking to move to CT from a small town in upstate NY. Went to CT last week to look at towns and what we can get up here for $300k (big 4 bed house on lots of land) in CT would only get a fixer upper in an undesirable town. What I noticed about CT was that it seems like there are a few bad towns mostly the cities, but then the suburban and rural towns were like a world away. When we were driving we passed through Derby which isn't that nice, but as soon as u cross over the line into Orange you can see the difference on the road, the houses, trees, lawns, and such.

Coming from up here, gas in CT was expensive, looks like car insurance rates are much higher then Buffalo, home prices are about twice what they are here (at least) and the taxes and cost of food in restaurants seemed higher.

I really like CT though. It is an established area it seems and the people are very civilized (can't say the same for up here). I didnt find people to be unfriendly like a lot of people say, just quieter and less talkative. When we asked questions about areas people nicely answered, and out of 3 random people we spoke to, 2 of them WANTED to help us.

I have read some about car tax. Such BS. And emissions. But whatever, You do what you gotta do if you want to live where the livin's good.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyson83 View Post
Well we are looking to move to CT from a small town in upstate NY. Went to CT last week to look at towns and what we can get up here for $300k (big 4 bed house on lots of land) in CT would only get a fixer upper in an undesirable town. What I noticed about CT was that it seems like there are a few bad towns mostly the cities, but then the suburban and rural towns were like a world away. When we were driving we passed through Derby which isn't that nice, but as soon as u cross over the line into Orange you can see the difference on the road, the houses, trees, lawns, and such.

Coming from up here, gas in CT was expensive, looks like car insurance rates are much higher then Buffalo, home prices are about twice what they are here (at least) and the taxes and cost of food in restaurants seemed higher.

I really like CT though. It is an established area it seems and the people are very civilized (can't say the same for up here). I didnt find people to be unfriendly like a lot of people say, just quieter and less talkative. When we asked questions about areas people nicely answered, and out of 3 random people we spoke to, 2 of them WANTED to help us.

I have read some about car tax. Such BS. And emissions. But whatever, You do what you gotta do if you want to live where the livin's good.
I grew up not far from Buffalo, NY (parents still live there)
I know housing is definitely more, but I wondered about overall, how long the adjustment might have been for most.
I know our rate of savings will drop considerably, but I am thinking there are more job opportunities, and that the value of your house would hold up better than where we are in Michigan.

true about living where the living is good, and Michigan isn't it.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:47 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
The lower counties in New York (Putnam southward, I believe) are also subject to emissions testing.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:53 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
What I noticed about CT was that it seems like there are a few bad towns mostly the cities, but then the suburban and rural towns were like a world away. When we were driving we passed through Derby which isn't that nice, but as soon as u cross over the line into Orange you can see the difference on the road, the houses, trees, lawns, and such.
Derby is the smallest city in the state. It was an industrial city years ago that is now making the transition to a bedroom community. IMO, city politics are holding the city back a bit. The city displaced a bunch of merchants downtown to develop a revitalization project, which i believe is currently stalled due to city hall rancor. I think eventually the project will come to fruition and Derby will be on the upswing in the future.

The area of Derby that falls within the vicinity of the eastern end of Rt.34 near the Orange line is generally considered to be a pleasant area.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:14 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The area of Derby that falls within the vicinity of the eastern end of Rt.34 near the Orange line is generally considered to be a pleasant area.
Actually a very nice area. We looked at a house up the road from Grassy Hill Lodge on the Orange line and that whole hill going up to Direnzo Hghts seems safe, close to everything, affordable and friendly. Generally as long as you're outside of downtown, and away from the immediate area around Rt 34 (near St Michaels church), you're doing okay.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:16 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
The lower counties in New York (Putnam southward, I believe) are also subject to emissions testing.
I always thought it was the whole state of NY...

Old 09-13-2008, 12:01 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I always thought it was the whole state of NY...
You are correct. It's been modified since I moved. Areas outside of the New York metropolitan area are subject to a low-enhanced testing procedure.

THE LOW-ENHANCED EMISSIONS INSPECTION FOR THE UPSTATE AREA

A 1995 or older model year vehicle, or a vehicle that weighs 8,501 lbs. or more is required to have a low-enhanced emissions inspection if the vehicle:

Is registered in the Upstate Area, and
Is not exempt from emissions inspection.
The Upstate Area includes the 53 counties located north of the New York City Metropolitan Area (NYCMA). The NYCMA includes New York City, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Rockland County, and Westchester County. The Upstate Area includes all other counties in NYS.

To conduct a low-enhanced emissions inspection, the inspection station must be licensed by the NYSDMV to conduct NYVIP inspections.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:26 PM

294 posts, read 1,086,746 times
We moved from CA to CT, and we have found our quality of living is better, cost of living is better in some areas and not so much in others (car tax), I would say we have more disposable income here than we did in CA.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:19 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
Default Derby has a lot of very lovely sections.

Derby has a lot of very lovely sections, especially up on the hill! As it is one of the smaller towns (from a square mile land area perspective) they have done quite a bit in the last 5 years and more is coming.

However, I will admit that there seems to be a mindset that folks from Derby and the town as a whole get a bad rap, not fair at all, but hard to stop negative rumors.

The news I heard about the downtown revitalization is that the developer and the town had a falling out and are headed to mediation. They want to do great things, but when the developer was finally allowed access to the back of the property (once some of the buildings were torn down) he apparantly had to revise his plans to accomodate the sheer drop off of the hillside down to the water's edge. Plus a few business owners have yet to be re-located out of the redevelopment area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut