Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 10,625 times

Advertisements

Hubby and me are looking to move to Groton and compared to our midwestern Indiana town, it's SO EXPENSIVE. We looked to move to Groton, Norwich, Preston, and Clinton.

I thought maybe the other part of the state would be cheaper, but it's more expensive. I have an honest question. How do normal middle class people afford it here? It's just so expensive. My hubby got a job in New Haven.

Help, any other midwesterners in CT there? How do you deal with it? Can you live a normal life?

Old 02-15-2007, 06:04 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestgal View Post
Hubby and me are looking to move to Groton and compared to our midwestern Indiana town, it's SO EXPENSIVE. We looked to move to Groton, Norwich, Preston, and Clinton.

I thought maybe the other part of the state would be cheaper, but it's more expensive. I have an honest question. How do normal middle class people afford it here? It's just so expensive. My hubby got a job in New Haven.

Help, any other midwesterners in CT there? How do you deal with it? Can you live a normal life?
Perhaps you are looking at the wrong type of housing? CT can be that way. You can have a 200K homes that are just fine in one area, and then have 400K homes a mile away.

I have a "modest" home up on the East side of Manchester valued just under 300K, we have two "modest" incomes (She more than I) and we get by okay. The big gorrilla for us are the two new cars in the drive. After payments, insurance, tax etc it's about $1200.00 a month! That will change soon enough.

Where are you looking, and what kind of budget do you have? Also is this going to be a single income home? Knowing that info, we can help a little better.

P.S. I have two neighbors from IN as well.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:20 AM

179 posts, read 294,076 times
there are better (as in closer) towns to new haven. You dont want to have to drive from norwich or groton to new haven everyday trust me. That sprawls a pretty good distance of the shoreline to get to new haven. Look at a google map and see what other towns around new haven could be a consideration and then I'm sure people will be able to give you advice on those including myself. What price range in houses are you looking for? What is the household income?

Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd83 View Post
there are better (as in closer) towns to new haven. You dont want to have to drive from norwich or groton to new haven everyday trust me. That sprawls a pretty good distance of the shoreline to get to new haven. Look at a google map and see what other towns around new haven could be a consideration and then I'm sure people will be able to give you advice on those including myself. What price range in houses are you looking for? What is the household income?
Good point, I missed that! I95 is only two lanes coming from the East into New Haven and it's clogged more than not.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 10,625 times
I looked it up on Mapquest and you are right. Norwich area is way too far. Are there any cheap towns closer to New Haven?

For now, we're on 1 income which makes it hard. We can't spend anymore than $200 on a home. Is that possible in CT? Most of the homes in IN were in the 200k range or less.

What are some towns that you can get a home for MAX $250k?

Old 02-15-2007, 12:04 PM

41 posts, read 215,296 times
Have you looked on Realtor.com? That's probably the best place to start. Put in the zip code for where your husband is going to be working, and check the box for "include surrounding areas"... put in your max price and see what you get...

Old 02-15-2007, 12:08 PM

179 posts, read 294,076 times
In connecticut 200k is possible..in the new haven area 200k is not going to put you into the best areas possibly not even in the medium areas. North and eastern connecticut 200k can get you a decent 3 bedroom home. If you are looking in the New Haven area for towns with good school systems and decent homes you are probably looking at 300k+ with some towns being in the 500-600k range. Derby/Shelton/Milford/Orange/Branford/Ansonia/Hamden are some of the cheap-ER towns..maybe check out north haven/west haven/east haven as well b/c I am not familiar with those towns one bit. Trumbull/Monroe/Woodbridge are the nicer towns that will put you fairly close. I would also say guilford but that is pushing it a little on the distance east down 95. Derby/Shelton/Milford/Orange I am familiar with and are pretty busy towns with lots to do but are very mixed as in very distinct poor/medium/not poor parts (derby being more poor than any). Trumbull and Monroe are very nice. I do not know much about the havens, orange, branford, ansonia, or hamden other than they are close. Maybe skytrekker or jviello can help you a little as well.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:08 PM

154 posts, read 802,079 times
The shoreline towns you looked at are very expensive areas, anything by the shoreline typically commands higher prices. North Haven, Hamden, and Wallingford may have some properties in the $250,000 range and may be a good place to start.

The pickings will be slim for a home in these areas as opposed to a condo and it will be a smaller home as well as a thought if you have children. East Haven may also have some areas in your range but you have to be picky and choosy which areas.

That said, I honestly don't know how people START a living here with a single income. Imagine being a young person buying their first home with only a 0-10% downpayment on a $250,000 - $300,000+ starter house; not fun... The incomes in CT are higher than most states but in my opinion not enough to keep up with the home appreciation rate.

A significant portion of the population has lived here for a while, many before the real estate market took off so their mortgages don't reflect the value of the home, they reflect the purchase price. Then when they turn around to sell it they have so much equity they can more easily afford an upgraded home than someone freshly coming into the state or someone buying their first home.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:23 PM

41 posts, read 215,296 times
Here is a tiny tiny 1br bungalow, beachfront, in Milford. Condo might be a better option.

removed

Last edited by Marka; 02-16-2007 at 02:32 AM..

Old 02-15-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njohnson View Post
The shoreline towns you looked at are very expensive areas, anything by the shoreline typically commands higher prices. North Haven, Hamden, and Wallingford may have some properties in the $250,000 range and may be a good place to start.

The pickings will be slim for a home in these areas as opposed to a condo and it will be a smaller home as well as a thought if you have children. East Haven may also have some areas in your range but you have to be picky and choosy which areas.

That said, I honestly don't know how people START a living here with a single income. Imagine being a young person buying their first home with only a 0-10% downpayment on a $250,000 - $300,000+ starter house; not fun... The incomes in CT are higher than most states but in my opinion not enough to keep up with the home appreciation rate.

A significant portion of the population has lived here for a while, many before the real estate market took off so their mortgages don't reflect the value of the home, they reflect the purchase price. Then when they turn around to sell it they have so much equity they can more easily afford an upgraded home than someone freshly coming into the state or someone buying their first home.
Well said. I agree on the towns you listed as well. Wallingford would be my first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut