Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,474 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a PhD Student at Yale and I am looking to rent a house with a backyard for my six year old son. I am paying 1600 rent in the East Rock neigborhood for a three bedroom apartment and would like to stay close to that price range. I would be willing to drive 10-15 mins max but I need to get some more room for my family!!

I was looking into Hamden and Wallingford, but I'm not sure if of the price range for rentals. All I can find on the net are for buying and selling homes and thats not something I want to get into right now!

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:03 AM

131 posts, read 479,381 times
Try Stratford, might be twenty minutes. Our neighbor just rented a ground floor apt with a pool in the backyard in that price range, two bedrooms though. Huge yard with a screened deck, patio, fire pit, and the pool, two car garage.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
I think you would be able to find something good in Branford, Milford, or North Haven. Depending on what times you commute, those towns are within 15 minutes by car. If you'll be going back and forth between 7:30-9:30 am or 4:30-6:00 pm, you would be better off taking the train between Branford and New Haven.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,474 times
Thanks a lot of the advice. Between North Haven and Branford, what differences are there? Is there any mass transit from North Haven?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
North Haven offers safe, attractive suburban living. If you want to drive to New Haven, there are some "back roads" from North Haven. There is almost definitely a bus route into New Haven, but no train. Most of the residential areas of North Haven are quiet and will provide a back yard. I believe the public schools are reasonably good and similar to those of Branford.

Branford offers the same safe, attractive suburban living with the added benefits of the shoreline (beaches, boating, scenery...). In my opinion, Branford has more cultural offerings and better restaurants. It is a little more densely settled than North Haven, but you would still be able to find a back yard. You can take the train to New Haven, or take I-95 although the rush hour may test your patience.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:57 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
To me, North Haven is a rural farming community that developed into a suburb mostly in the 60's. It lacks a dense walkable downtown area that is found in older communities. The homes tend to be on larger lots here.

Branford is older and has that downtown. It also has areas of former summer homes and beaches. Branford also has a station on the Shoreline East train into New Haven. Both are great towns though. You need to visit each and see homes in your price range to decide for yourself. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut