Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 AM

13 posts, read 27,734 times

Advertisements

Hi All...
I have been reading many of the past posts about Conneticut. My hub and 3 kids (3,6,9) are getting the heck out of Florida (good choice, I know) and moving to beautiful Connecticut. We are so confused on where to go. We want to be near the water, thats a given. We want TOP schools in a neighborhood where we dont have to drive 20 minutes to CVS,lol. All in all, we are looking for a young, family oriented area. I have heard that Woodbridge is the happenin place. Any thoughts? I have also heard that outside of New Haven is a nice area. I would love Greenwich but way too exspensive. Any feedback would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 AM

9 posts, read 30,692 times
We are moving from Palm Beach and just requested info on Oxford. It seems rural and equestrian but very nice, we'll see what happens! Maybe we can share information we gather. Good luck!!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,446,151 times
How much are you looking to spend, that WILL matter more than anything as to where we reccomend.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:55 AM

35,017 posts, read 57,105,372 times
You do not indicate what you do for a living or the need for employment. That may help in determining where would be best to live for you.

Since you want to be near the water, I would consider the shoreline towns east of New Haven. They are great family towns with excellent schools and have good access to the beaches of Long Island Sound. Consider Branford, Guilforrd and Madison, plus Clinton and Westbrook. The only real problem with these towns is that there is limited major mall shopping, so you will have to travel a bit for bigger selections. But these do have all of the major stores for food and basic needs. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 AM

10,096 posts, read 14,504,815 times
I hope you land somewhere where you will be happy in CT!

As others mentioned, what will you do for work, and are there any constraints regarding that in terms of where to live? What is the housing budget? CT has major differences in cost--with Fairfield County being the most expensive, but also the closest to NYC, of course. The areas east of New Haven are beautiful (near the coast), and less expensive. New Haven itself has some happening neighborhoods, but you have to be careful exactly where you look in New Haven city. The surrounding 'burbs have some wonderful areas.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:29 AM

13 posts, read 27,734 times
See, I love you Conneticut people already! thanks for the quick responses. As far as work, I am a medical assistant and my hub is a karate instructor. I know CT is more exspensive than Fl so we were looking at not going over 1 mill. We were leaning toward the New Haven area but then heard that parts of it are really bad. Im assuming that not living in the city would be wise and sticking to the burbs of New Haven?
Sunflowers 66... I would love to trade info :-)

Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 AM

756 posts, read 2,221,288 times
Do you mind me asking what is the draw to New Haven? New Haven has issues and people with a mil to spend and want good schools do not buy there. I am not talking about the suburbs, I am talking about the city itself. If top schools are your priority, with your budget you can afford very, very nice towns with tons of amenities. Fairfield, Madison, and Westport are all on the water, have great schools, upscale, tons of stuff for kids. Very beautiful and expensive towns! You may even be able to find something in Greenwich.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,446,151 times
He must be one hell of a karate instructor for you to be able to afford a million dollar house.... since my friend is a medical assistant and they dont make much at all.

anyhow i agree with PP, clinton, westport, madison, and maybe even greenwich (though the house would be small)

Last edited by KH02; 02-25-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,698,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You do not indicate what you do for a living or the need for employment. That may help in determining where would be best to live for you.

Since you want to be near the water, I would consider the shoreline towns east of New Haven. They are great family towns with excellent schools and have good access to the beaches of Long Island Sound. Consider Branford, Guilforrd and Madison, plus Clinton and Westbrook. The only real problem with these towns is that there is limited major mall shopping, so you will have to travel a bit for bigger selections. But these do have all of the major stores for food and basic needs. I hope this helps. Jay
should have gone a little further east.. my home town Uncasville/Montville are on the water and Montville is well known for it's excellent schools. just another option if job commute is not an issue. even then Montville is not that far from Rt 2 in case a commute to Hartford is necessary. it was about 45-50 min ride when i did it.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM

174 posts, read 640,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
should have gone a little further east.. my home town Uncasville/Montville are on the water and Montville is well known for it's excellent schools. just another option if job commute is not an issue. even then Montville is not that far from Rt 2 in case a commute to Hartford is necessary. it was about 45-50 min ride when i did it.

Uncasville is not on the water, it's on Thames River...I doubt that is the kind of water the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut