Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

3rd phase of the 06 "revaluation" kicked in. Property taxes went up another $600.00+ to almost $6000.00 per year for a 50+ year old ranch home on a couple acres.

They conveniently did a revaluation in 06 in the peak of the market and noted in the notice that "they know real estate values have gone down but can't lower the gross assessment without doing another revaluation". Well, I won't hold my breath on that one.

What's this? Oh, I can appeal the gross assessment? Okay...oh, it has to be submitted by the 20th? Why did I get the letter on the 22nd then? Gotta love government!

I'm honestly at my wits end. Yea, go ahead and tell me property taxes are higher on Long Island etc. I don't give a sh*t...they are still ridiculous compared to most places in the United States, and then combine it with the largest tax burden in the nation as a whole and it literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Oh you're broke State of CT? Sure, go ahead and add tolls to the road on top of the highest gas tax in the nation. Whyyyyyyy not.

Tell me all the great services I'm getting again? I'm on septic (just paid $225.00 to have it pumped), no city water, no kids in the public school system. I've been trying to get a dump permit for 3 weeks now after 4 trips to the landfill getting turned away for stupid technicalities and am now at the town manager pissed off and looking for answers. (Oh, you don't' have the vehicle *here*? "no...but I did two days ago when you turned me away and didn't say I HAD to have the vehicle here." Well, we have to SEE you put the sticker on. Sorry come back another day with the vehicle. )

On and on it goes.

"Well, you get what you pay for". Sure, yea. Right. More than 25% of my mortgage is property taxes. That's just wrong.

If something doesn't change, I'm going to toss a match at the house, sell my business and head out. I'm sick of killing myself just to hand it back to the state to watch them hand it out to others and themselves. Done. I want a freakin bailout.

/rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 12:32 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Right their with you.
We've been contemplating moving out of state for awhile now...
Just a shame all our family is here...Tough to leave when we'd have to give up seeing them alot.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Right their with you.
We've been contemplating moving out of state for awhile now...
Just a shame all our family is here...Tough to leave when we'd have to give up seeing them alot.
Tell me about it. It's hard making the decision if it's better for your family to be able to freakin BREATH and not be under such a financial crush, or to be away from grandparents etc.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 PM

243 posts, read 774,104 times
Moving out isn't going to help much. Yes, taxes might be cheaper, houses might be as well, but so is your salary. So it's all relative.

It sounds like you live in Fairfield County, is this true?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:54 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
MetsNY - he lives in Manchester, one of the most affordable (I guess until now??) areas in CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
no kids in the public school system
Look - I completely agree with you regarding the taxes. INSANE. My wife works part time right now just to pay the taxes on our house. That being said, I can't stand the argument "we don't have kids in the school, why should I pay for the taxes?" It really gets to me. That mindset is the very reason why education is lacking in this country. It's a very selfish thing to say.

Sorry, like I said, I agree with everything you said except what I quoted above. I'll pay whatever it takes as long as I know my kids and grandkids will be well-educated.

Bring it. I'm ready. LOL

Old 02-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
Moving out isn't going to help much. Yes, taxes might be cheaper, houses might be as well, but so is your salary. So it's all relative.

It sounds like you live in Fairfield County, is this true?
Please spare me from that tired old cliche. I've lived and traveled this country for the most part, and it's simply NOT true depending on where you live. Maybe in a hole like SC or whatever but not everywhere.

Have a look at 80920 and 80908 (Colorado Springs) back to back where I live and guess what? Lower cost of living, higher per capita income, similar housing prices, taxes on said house about $1000.00 per YEAR.

Lower gas tax, lower business taxes, lower everything etc etc.

Moving.com: Compare Two Cities

Perhaps that's why they have a growth rate of 128% since 1990.

No I don't live in FFC. Hartford County. The whole state is corrupt and bloated, so it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
MetsNY - he lives in Manchester, one of the most affordable (I guess until now??) areas in CT.

Look - I completely agree with you regarding the taxes. INSANE. My wife works part time right now just to pay the taxes on our house. That being said, I can't stand the argument "we don't have kids in the school, why should I pay for the taxes?" It really gets to me. That mindset is the very reason why education is lacking in this country. It's a very selfish thing to say.

Sorry, like I said, I agree with everything you said except what I quoted above. I'll pay whatever it takes as long as I know my kids and grandkids will be well-educated.

Bring it. I'm ready. LOL
Fine give me a voucher so I can apply it towards the school where I CHOOSE to send my kids. I don't owe your children a public education. That's your job to see that they get a proper education and not my fault if you rely on the public school system.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Please spare me from that tired old cliche. I've lived and traveled this country for the most part, and it's simply NOT true depending on where you live. Maybe in a hole like SC or whatever but not everywhere.

Have a look at 80920 and 80908 (Colorado Springs) back to back where I live and guess what? Lower cost of living, higher per capita income, similar housing prices, taxes on said house about $1000.00 per month.

Lower gas tax, lower business taxes, lower everything etc etc.

Moving.com: Compare Two Cities

Perhaps that why they have a growth rate of 128%.

No I don't live in FFC. Hartford County. The whole state is corrupt and bloated, so it doesn't matter.
You want a growth rate of 128%??? That creates all sorts of problems.

Also Manchester's per capita income is higher than CO Springs, according to the link you posted.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Come to New Mexico. In 4 years, my taxes have gone up a whole 27 bucks! And to wit, it's 80 degrees outside now, and not a cloud in the sky!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Fine give me a voucher so I can apply it towards the school where I CHOOSE to send my kids. I don't owe your children a public education. That's your job to see that they get a proper education and not my fault if you rely on the public school system.
Why wouldn't you want to send them to Manchester public schools where you're paying to send them? If you don't like MPS, then why did you move to Manchester? There are other towns...I'm not sure why you feel entitled to send your kids to Avon High School when you live in Manchester. If that's the case, buy in Avon. I know you're a fan of combining services but, as noted on other threads, the quality of the education would be an issue.

And what's this voucher?? C'mon now, JV. This sense of entitlement is another thing I really dislike!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
You want a growth rate of 128%??? That creates all sorts of problems.

Also Manchester's per capita income is higher than CO Springs, according to the link you posted.
They seem to be handling it just fine unlike places in NC, so yes, if the growth can be controlled, I have no problem with it.

Sorry, I meant median household income which is $85,304 vs $57,357.

That zip code is a burb with not a lot of industry other than fast food joints etc so per capita will be lower. Most people commute to the bases and/or downtown. My bad.

Quote:
Why wouldn't you want to send them to Manchester public schools where you're paying to send them? If you don't like MPS, then why did you move to Manchester? There are other towns...I'm not sure why you feel entitled to send your kids to Avon High School when you live in Manchester. If that's the case, buy in Avon. I know you're a fan of combining services but, as noted on other threads, the quality of the education would be an issue.

And what's this voucher?? C'mon now, JV. This sense of entitlement is another thing I really dislike!
You dont' know the whole deal with vouchers? Do a little research. It's not about sending the kids to Avon. I don't want my kids in ANY state run public school. People do send kids to Catholic and other Christian schools and/or homeschool. If we are saving the town big $$ by choosing to not put our children in their school, we should get a credit back.

It happens for certain districts in town for fire and police protection...why not schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut