Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Cheap.
lol maybe you and I are, but not those who hold the pursestrings...! The legislature in this state will bleed you dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think Decatur where the OP is referring to is a suburb of Atlanta. My guess is they inadvertently cut someone off, and the CT plate just fueled their anger?

I do notice in CT though, that people drive more aggressive around out of staters. I'm not sure why - I noticed this in NJ too. Maybe to "show off?" LOL I don't know. Weird thread though.

OP - what kind of car do you drive?

Now thats even weirder because I used to live in Decatur. I wouldn't call it a suburb tho-its not in Fulton County but I call everything within the 7 counties "Atlanta"

Old 04-19-2009, 04:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
that's interesting.. any examples of what 'we' do up there that irritates them so? (never been there myself).
Boston i think has a negative attitude towards us but i think it's because most up there are Red Sox fans. in most cases, these people have never set foot down here but they trash us anyway for no better reason than our proximity to NY. that is we have more Yankee fans down here than anywhere else in New England and they can't stand it. i don't like that fact either but i don't hate the whole state because of it (not that i hate some of it - you know what i mean).
My experience in Vermont was the the native residents, often working in tourist-related jobs, were treated rudely by demanding affluent vacation home owners who were from Connecticut.

In NH, many Connecticut (and MA too) visitors are attracted by NH's charm and the less complicated, more laid-back lifestyle of the full time residents. However, those many of those visitors that make the jump and move there quickly begin to voice their disapproval of the NH way of life, often recommending changes to local and state legislation that mirrors what they had in Connecticut (or MA). Obviously, this aggravates the native NH residents who are not interested in creating an over-intrusive government, raising taxes, or introducing a host of social services.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:30 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
that's interesting.. any examples of what 'we' do up there that irritates them so? (never been there myself).
Boston i think has a negative attitude towards us but i think it's because most up there are Red Sox fans. in most cases, these people have never set foot down here but they trash us anyway for no better reason than our proximity to NY. that is we have more Yankee fans down here than anywhere else in New England and they can't stand it. i don't like that fact either but i don't hate the whole state because of it (not that i hate some of it - you know what i mean).
I'll give you a couple real examples from Northern New England where I ride "dee snowmachine" and visit for other reasons often.

Folks in rural New England generally live a more conservative lifestyle. They don't want a "Boston" lifestyle or way of life. It's kind of the same thing that happens down South. The "Yankees" move in and change the political and social climate through local influence. In this case it would be the "city dwellers" in Southern New England.

For instance. Someone from CT will go to Northern Vermont, marvel that they can purchase a "vacation" home on a few acres for a price that to the CT person is dirt cheap.

So now they head up in the Summer, Fall, Winter etc and start to demand more public services be introduced and some have an eye to move their for "retirement".

Two things happen then. The real estate prices are inflated, and the tax rates go up. Now the locals who grew up there for generations can no longer afford to live in their own town. In fact in Northern VT you'll see dairy barns with "Take Back Our State" painted on the side from the locals getting pushed out and/or having their courts and political system changed by the "flatlanders" moving in.

It's happened in Freeport Maine in spades. I stay at a small inn there operated by a Freeport native. Everytime I go up, we chat about how the "Mass folks" move up to escape Boston, think nothing of dropping 450K on a house, and demand "better schools", "more firemen", "more police", curbside garbage collection" etc and now the locals can't afford to live in their own town.

I can never understand how people can't stand the lifestyle in a place like the Boston metro, move to the South or rural New England and then continue to vote and think like they did in Boston without a clue as to why where they were was no longer "desirable".

Old 04-19-2009, 06:06 AM

657 posts, read 1,600,177 times
FWIW, during my residence in CT, i drove all over (literally, 35+ states) the nation with said state's plates on my car, and experienced no such thing..

also.. to say that a state's "political leanings are wrong and/or misguided" is subjective at best. politics in general is a matter of opinion.

I had a great experience in my 5 and a half years in CT while serving in the military, and would happily move back if my pocketbook allowed for it.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 PM

109 posts, read 437,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
1) The weather sucks.
2) Forget getting fresh veggies and fruits in the winter.
3) Joe Lieberman
4) Chris Dodd
5) The fact is that CT is on the incredibly uptight part of the East Coast, with the difference being you're not flooded with bible thumpers but instead folks who are snobby about whether you attended a 'prestigious' Ivy League - or not.

Oh, and Boston and NYC suck too. You're basically a suburb of both metros.
Quoting you in one of your posts, "I've lived in IA, MN, MI, IN, OH, VA and MS".

Curiously CT, or any state in proximity to CT, is strangely absent from your previous residences. If you haven't actually lived in CT, how can you make such negative statements about CT without experiencing the 'snobbiness' firsthand. You aren't stooping to stereotyping, are you?

I happen to agree with you on Dodd and Lieberman; however, California contributes Pelosi.

Last edited by UnschoolerinCT; 04-19-2009 at 11:38 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 AM

771 posts, read 1,582,140 times
Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein are also embarrassments, I agree.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,038 times
A girlfriend of mine relocated to GA. She said she was always called a "Yankee". I think people in the south generally have a stereo type of people here in the northeast.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Most of us natives ARE Yankees.:-) I don't believe it is all that derogatory to call someone from the Northeast a Yankee just like it is not derogatory to call someone from Indiana a Hoosier.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Okay, I lived in CT for a little under 10 years. In those 10 years, we drove all over, and as far down as Myrtle Beach, SC, Charlotte, NC and Williamsburg, VA. We were not once stared down, snubbed or given the one finger salute.

Last week, we spent a week at Boca Raton, FL. The wealth and snob-appeal of the place will make CT blush. We drove through the I-95 corridor both ways through Savannah and noticed many many many vehicles with CT tags on. I guess CT spring break for once coincided with the south's. All of the vehicles drove well on the road...none were maniacs as we have seen the FL drivers in Boca with their BMW's, Corvettes, Masserati's and Bentley's drive. All of the CT drivers knew how to merge, turned their signals on when changing lanes and pretty much kept up with the flow of traffic. This "thing" about CT being snobby, pretentious, etc. is a myth IMO. There is nothing wrong with CT, nor in my experience now living in the South, a different attitude proferred by Southerners toward CT tag holders, nor any Yankee tagholders for that matter. Must be a Decatur, GA thang, bless their heart, cuz this Yankee turned Southern Belle saw none of either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut