Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 AM

87 posts, read 250,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1010 View Post
We moved here from NYC, and still refer to it as Mayberry.
Meant to say that we refer to Stratfield as Mayberry, not NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:21 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,649 times
Most of Stratfield is really nice - we almost moved there but stumbled on a great house in Fairfield Woods. It's a little closer to Black Rock Tpke than Stratfield. A good amount of sidewalks, and lots of young families (including mine) walking around on weekends. Houses range from low-400's for a small-ish 3BR/1.5Ba fixer upper to 1M+ for several thousand sq ft. I see a lot of houses for sale in the neighborhood - if you have the time to shop around I would take your time and go for aggressive deals. I'm sure you could find a nice home at that price in either neighborhood.

In that price range, there aren't many other neighborhoods in Fairfield that are 'reputable', with good resale value should you need to move on. That's not saying you couldn't find a good deal anywhere, particularly if you are willing to look past wallpaper or outdated bathrooms. And if potential resale value isn't a problem for the near future, then almost any of the neighborhoods would be really good. Drive around, during the day, at night, on weekends, and even walk around a little (especially on a nice weekend day) to get a feel for the areas.

Like another poster said, there aren't a lot of sidewalks on the side roads (and those that are there are in lousy condition). But, drivers are cautious enough that we feel safe walking on the side of the road.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCt View Post
Do you live in Stratfield? What makes it your favorite?
No, I do not live there. I grew up in Fairfield and still have a lot of family and friends there. I like the charm of the homes and character that Stratfield has. It is not considered "historical" like Old Post Road or Southport but still has some nice homes and streets. As was also mentioned, Fairfield Woods is nice too. there are many nice neighborhoods in town. i am just suggesting to keep your options open in case the best one for you is in a particular neighborhood you think is not good. Pretty much all of Fairfield is good. In fact I really can't think of any places I would not move my family to in town. Jay

Old 05-20-2009, 12:39 PM

356 posts, read 808,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCt View Post
Do any of the neighborhoods have sidewalks?
Allota them.

THE FC F--KING OWNS!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:13 PM

113 posts, read 517,467 times
Fairfield is my home town. I grew up on Stratfield Rd. and can tell you it was great. I went to Stratfield School which is an excellent elementary school. Then Fairfield Woods and what was Andrew Warde High School. When I was 16 we moved across town to Reef Rd. I can tell you that I loved being in the center of town. It was fantastic. Quick ride to the beach. Close to everything. There are many great restaurants downtown as well. I think I just got disillusioned with Ct. as a whole as an adult. With the high cost of living. My wife and I making a little over 120k a year found it hard to get by in Ct. But as a kid. Yeah, I loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut