Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 24,713 times

Advertisements

i heard from my family the area around pfizer and west side middle school is bad...is it true....might be thinking about moving there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:14 AM

429 posts, read 1,175,182 times
I don't know that specific area you are referring to exactly, but I do know that Groton overall gets a pretty bad rap. However, the town (city?) is not NEARLY as bad as everyone cracks it up to be. It's on the shoreline, for one, and boasts Groton Long Point (a beautiful strip of coastline with monolithic homes), with scenic views from many parts of the town. It also shares a part of Mystic with Stonington (Yes Mystic, the Mystic that tourists eat up).

Part of the reason why Groton gets such a bad rap is the fact that it has the Naval Submarine Base in town. Alot of transients, people moving in and out, some shady activity here and there. But overall, I can actually say the town is DECENT. Not wonderful, not nearly at all bad, decent. A lot of shopping, big box stores and mom and pop stores. Also the town is one of the state's major employment centers (Pfizer, General Dynamics), so there are more people coming into the town then there are leaving in regards to work. But Groton is affordable, and as I said, it's on the coastline, which is beautiful, so I strongly encourage you to give it a chance, and check it out. You'll probably find that it's not nearly as bad as everyone says it is! Good luck!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:53 PM

181 posts, read 557,867 times
As ctcoldplay11 said, Groton generally gets a pretty bad wrap, and for those very reasons. (that was right on man, way to nail it) I can speak personally for the area that you mentioned, and yes, the area just north and just to the east of Pfizer is pretty rough. There is a great deal of low income housing grouped right there, in Groton Estates and Branford Manor mostly. Outside of that particular neighborhood you will find a few other rougher neighborhoods particularly Midway Oval, and Trident Park, however much of the rest of the Town of Groton as a whole are quite nice.

In the City of Groton (a small subdivision of the greater town, where Pfizer and General Dynamics are located) the northern third is comprised largely of a historical district called Groton Bank, has two state parks, a library, museum, and the National Submarine Monument. This area has a large concentration of mostly middle class housing. The lower third is also comprised largely of a historical district called Eastern Point, has a large, very well known municipal golf course, beach, a branch of the University of Connecticut at it's Avery Point campus, several marinas and yacht clubs, as well as a plenitude of middle class housing to compliment it's beautiful mansions. The middle third is the area to be wary of as mentioned before. It has a great deal of low income housing. While many efforts are being made to stem the negative effects of the area, I would not say that they are close to being commendable.

Outside of the city subdivision, there are many very nice neighborhoods as ctcoldplay mentioned, including Groton Long Point/Noank, Center Groton, and Mystic in particular depending on your preference. Most of the neighborhoods in Groton are quite nice, and don't have problems, I would just advise you to stay away from the ones I mentioned earlier.

Hope I could be of help!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:26 PM

4 posts, read 24,713 times
Default thanks

you guys helped a lot i wil def. look into it

Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 PM

181 posts, read 557,867 times
Glad to be of help. If you have any further questions, specifics you are interested in, feel free to ask. We would love to help you in any way we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut