Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 PM

209 posts, read 607,844 times

Advertisements

I will be driving from Southern California to Fairfield County Connecticut in early to mid December. Its just me, my cat and my car with a ton of stuff in it. I have no furniture and don't want to do any sightseeing.

The "fastest" route is through Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Ilinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut.

My concern is that I have a convertible and want to avoid "serious" winter driving so going through Colorado and the "upper midwest" probably isn't the best route

I'll be leaving in a month or so and need to start getting my route in place. Any tips on routes and such would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 12:41 PM

269 posts, read 607,591 times
Take the southern route for sure. Having done both (to/from NorCali) I can tell you that it might be a little bit longer, but it is much more pleasant.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM

250 posts, read 563,002 times
Default Nice ride!

I-40 from California to North Carolina all the way south east to I-85 then head up north to I-95
Good luck!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:53 PM

181 posts, read 557,357 times
If you are trying to avoid "serious" winter driving a month from now, then all of the states you just listed are not the way to go. I've driven through all but Iowa and Nebraska, and more specifically did the segment from Chicago to CT in the middle of the winter, and all of those states are notorious for harsh weather. I would advise taking the longer southern route if you are trying to avoid the weather.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:05 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,032 times
If 40 don't work out for whatever reason: 10 out of Calif, pick up 20 in western Texas, take 20 all the way to SC, then up 95 the rest.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:13 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Why don't you watch the weather the week before to avoid potential storms if you can wait a day or two? If serious weather stops you, grab a hotel for a day.

It seems very far out of your way to take the southern route. JMO though.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:58 PM

567 posts, read 2,140,979 times
EW. I wouldn't do 95. We do the VA to CT route at least twice a year and I-81 North to I-84 East is MUCH more pleasant than 95. No major cities!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:34 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
EW. I wouldn't do 95. We do the VA to CT route at least twice a year and I-81 North to I-84 East is MUCH more pleasant than 95. No major cities!
The key with 95 is timing really. Weekends are not as bad as weekdays, holidays are pretty good too. If you can get an early jump, it's better than later in the day as more people are out.

I've been on numerous CT/MA to FL drives down 95 and back up. My family tries to shoot for weekends, holidays. Staying overnight just south of DC, then a Sat or Sun morning pushing north and the Capitol Beltway isn't so bad. The NJTP is far worse in the evening than in the morning or early-afternoon. Never go through NYC (Cross Bronx Xway and GWB) unless it's like 8 am on a Sunday.

81 to 84 is nicer and does avoid the major cities. Plus the route might not be so bad considering the OP is coming from the west and not straight south. But 95 is possible, and would be better in a case of winter weather situations. One trip back north from FL, it was snowing and icy on 81, where it was just plain rain on 95. Hence taking 95.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:22 PM

209 posts, read 607,844 times
I think I'll "shoot" for going the most direct route ie colorado, etc but will closely watch the weather. Someone pointed out to me that I could even hit weather going through Arizona and New Mexico and that way will take me extra long time anyway. I will have 2-3 plans mapped out (thank you you everyone for your suggestions), watch the weather and go from there. I'd love to go right now but my job stuff won't be finalized for another 2-4 weeks so that's why I'm looking at December.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:32 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
I've driven across country 3 times from NY State to SoCal and took the route through Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, on through Ohio to New York. I personally would definitely not do the Utah, Colorado route because you will most likely run into rough weather and rough terrain. I would suggest the southern route...it's longer but you won't have as much of a weather factor. Especially if you are travelling alone...you don't want to be out there in the middle of a blizzard and they have already had some serious winter weather and it's only October. It's good to track the weather but it can change so quickly in December.

One suggestion, I always planned how far I would drive each day and stuck to it, made hotel/motel reservations in advance which helped knowing I had a place to go to that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: