Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 PM

6 posts, read 21,498 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to Hartford county (from NYC) over the next few months (working in Berlin) and have gotten some feedback on several desirable towns within commuting distance. We have elementary school age children, so good elementary and middle schools are very important, we have some time before we think about high school (ages 6 & 1). We visited Southington and like the area. Can any one share any positives or negatives about the area? Are there any areas that are more desirable within the town? Better schools, less congestion etc...

Should we consider areas other than Southington?

Please Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
Southington is a good choice, it does have good schools up until High School as the High School does have an overcrowding issue (the largest in the state I believe). But the town is nice and VERY family friendly, the library has alot of children's programs and it would be a good commute to Berlin. It has all the shopping you could want and the nearest malls are in Meriden, Waterbury and West Hartford.
The only elementary school I would personally avoid is Deryonowski which is the school that is downtown on main st which eventually turns into Queen st as it is in the district where most of the rentals and multi families tend to be. Southington also has some parochial schools to choose from as well if you want to go that route.

Other towns that may work for you are Berlin itself (which will be more exp), Cromwell and Plainville.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Southington schools generally perform above the state average on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. While Southington High School is large by Connecticut standards it is not the largest (I believe Danbury High School is the largest). Information on the schools in Connecticut can be found here:

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

In addition to the towns KH02 suggested you might want to consider Newington, Wethersfield and Rocky Hill. Jay

Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Actually, I think,. Manchester is the largest..

Either way, Southington is a very nice place to live.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Manchester is not even close. It has 2077 students. But I am wrong too. Danbury has 2835 students, but New Britain has 3129 students. By the way Southington High School has 2164 students. Jay

Old 01-15-2010, 03:03 PM

11 posts, read 24,096 times
All of Southington is pretty safe and the schools are good, but the high school does leave a lot to be desired. If it's an option for you, you may want to explore private HSs when the time comes. I know this from experience No matter what neighborhood you're in, you should have nice, respectable neighbors and generally provide a good quality of life for your children. If the house looks nice, it's generally a nice area. The only concern I have is a rise in delinquency; there has been a higher prevalence in petty crimes (theft, vandalism, mischief, etc.) in recent years and most people around here can attest to it, if not give you personal experience. But that might just be Connecticut as a whole. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Actually, I think,. Manchester is the largest..

Either way, Southington is a very nice place to live.
I think New Britain is the biggest in the state. There's over 70,000 people and only one public high school. I know there'sa few private, magnet and technical schools but I think it's the biggest. I could be wrong though.

Southington HS is definitely big, though. Overall a nice town. A few people have recommended Beriln and said it's nice, it's OK but it used to be alot nicer when it was rural and had actual open space a few years back. Personally I would pick Southington over Berlin hands down but that's just me $0.02.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I think New Britain is the biggest in the state. There's over 70,000 people and only one public high school. I know there'sa few private, magnet and technical schools but I think it's the biggest. I could be wrong though.

Southington HS is definitely big, though. Overall a nice town. A few people have recommended Beriln and said it's nice, it's OK but it used to be alot nicer when it was rural and had actual open space a few years back. Personally I would pick Southington over Berlin hands down but that's just me $0.02.
You are correct. New Britain High School is the biggest. As I noted above it has 3,129 students while Southington has a mere 2,164. that is still big but not that big. A lot though has to do with the facility and from what DW has said it feels very crowded. Of course that does not mean it is not a good school. Jay

Old 01-16-2010, 09:30 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are correct. New Britain High School is the biggest. As I noted above it has 3,129 students while Southington has a mere 2,164. that is still big but not that big. A lot though has to do with the facility and from what DW has said it feels very crowded. Of course that does not mean it is not a good school. Jay
NB schools, though still underperforming, have still improved alot in the past 15 years. It's still considered a lower-income city, but it's still better now. A family member of mine teaches at one of the elementary schools and has said that the students, though still rambunctious, aren't as off-the-wall as they used to be. Alot of that has to do with the fact that attitudes have changed - there's more faculty and parental involvement which can only help.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 PM

35 posts, read 87,030 times
Southington is ok, but its very large and dependant upon where you go. The Marion area is a lot different from the side bordering New Britain. Schools great, Southington High is overcrowded. Jay, does that number include students in the Vocational/Agricultural program there that come from other cities?

Easy commute to Berlin. I work in Berlin and pass through Southington daily, and it's about 15-25 depending upon where in southington you're at.

Positives: A few main drags with lots of restaurants and shopping (Queen st, Route 10), the YMCA is good, lots of public stuff for the young guns.

Cons: OK here one reason I discourage parents of young children or at least warn them of southington. Southington has one high school, and one major competitive organization for (in my case it was) baseball. If you're kids get into sports, they better be the best of the best to make the team. Sooo many kids to one organization (Southington South) and one high school. Granted, when the kids are young there is the Southington West organization, but after a certain age its just South that has teams. In Waterbury, we had 6 competitive teams, 3 public high schools, two catholic highs, 1 private, .... etc. So the chances of your kid having somewhere to play is greater. But don't move to waterbury, just using it as an example.

Look into Kensington, which you may also like, and is closer to Berlin as it is technically a subset of Berlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut