Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I agree that it's not cheap, but it's a better alternative to sitting in traffic. People want to get to where they're going quickly, and there's a limit to just how fast buses can go. I have a hard time believing we'll see these 110MPH bullet trains, but I still think they'd serve us better than buses. They'd definitely move quicker than buses. If light rail were implemented, one way to partially cover these costs would be to add a fee to the ticket. I'd be surprised if that's not already done with Metro North - I seriously doubt what you pay round trip to go from NH to NYC goes completely to the MTA and its employees. If people want it badly enough, they'll find a way to finance it. I don't think light rail would solve all our transportation problems, but it's a start.

The highways DO cost taxpayers money, just in a different way. If there's a gas tax, to me that just means the public pays for it in another way. When the first highways were built out west, it was the oil, tire and auto industry that persuaded Congress to have taxpayers pay for these. The book Fast Food Nation details this in Chapter 1.
You won't see 110mph Bullet Trains , but you will see 110-130mph Electric or Diesel Trains on the I-91 Corridor. Buses are limited to the lanes and Traffic around them. Trains run on Tracks and Light Rail is mostly grade sperated so Congestion free. Electric Trains accerate faster then buses ,and they attract investors. I we see in some Major and minor cities around the country Light Rail always attracts more users then buses and offers a stress free way of commuting. The NIMBY's in Eastern CT need to stop halting the upgrade of the NEC to 150mph its starting to hurt us further south. Light Rail & more Commuter Rail won't solve your congestion problems totally but it will offer a much needed Alt. To cut on costs you can use abandoned freight lines and yards for storage and routes. One day , hopefully in 15 years CT and much of New England will have a European type of Transit and Railway system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHaventranist View Post
Just starting a new thread about ct Transportation, Put your thoughts and comments down!
Don't rely on it.
mta.info | Emergency Alert

Limited Bus/Train Service in Effect on the New Haven Line Beginning Thursday, Sept. 26

Limited Bus/Train Service will be provided for the New Haven Line beginning with AM Peak service on Thursday, September 26 and until further notice due to the loss of a Con Edison feeder that supply traction power to the line's electric fleet.

The service plan can accommodate approximately 33% of the regular ridership on the New Haven Line.

As a result:
-Customers are strongly encouraged to stay home or should seek alternate service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut