Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:51 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times

Advertisements

I was having a discussion the other day with some folks regarding American history. I brought up that one of Conn's greatest contributions to American history is it's gun manufacturing. (at least in the early years of America) After all, it is the home of Samuel Colt - the inventor of the revolver.

I can name these gun makers that had plants in Conn at one point or another.

1. Colt
2. Remington
3. Winchester
4. Sturm & Ruger

Did I miss any other gun makers? I was thinking Browning?

BTW, years ago I visited the Conn Historical Society Museum next to the state capital building in Hartford. At the time they had an excellent collection of early Colt firearms.

I also went tooling around on my motorcycle last year around the Colt facility. It's quite expansive & it's too bad nothing is being done with it.

P.S. I realize any topic on guns can become explosive and veer off topic quickly. I'm just interested in the history of gun makers in Conn.

Last edited by MrGompers; 04-15-2010 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Correct spelling of stern & luger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 03:32 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I was having a discussion the other day with some folks regarding American history. I brought up that one of Conn's greatest contributions to American history is it's gun manufacturing. (at least in the early years of America) After all, it is the home of Samuel Colt - the inventor of the revolver.

1. Colt
2. Remington
3. Winchester
4. Stern & Luger

Smith and Wesson:History - Smith & Wesson

Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,069 times
Marlin is another though they seem specialize in rifles..

Marlin

Old 04-16-2010, 05:27 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,288 times
Mossberg. Nice to see a post other than "Where sould I live..."

Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

1. Colt
2. Remington
3. Winchester
4. Sturm & Ruger

BTW, years ago I visited the Conn Historical Society Museum next to the state capital building in Hartford. At the time they had an excellent collection of early Colt firearms.

I also went tooling around on my motorcycle last year around the Colt facility. It's quite expansive & it's too bad nothing is being done with it.

P.S. I realize any topic on guns can become explosive and veer off topic quickly. I'm just interested in the history of gun makers in Conn.
Not sure how long ago you drove around the complex but the Colt Building is "on again" being restored and turned into housing and business units.

CT was to the industrial revolution what silicon valley was to the technology boom. We even manufactured our own brand of automobiles in Hartford at one time! A the turn of the century Hartford - yes Hartford was considered the Automobile capital of the world as half the cars produced came from here! Pope Automobiles: http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...-Hartford.aspx

Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Not sure how long ago you drove around the complex but the Colt Building is "on again" being restored and turned into housing and business units.

CT was to the industrial revolution what silicon valley was to the technology boom. We even manufactured our own brand of automobiles in Hartford at one time! A the turn of the century Hartford - yes Hartford was considered the Automobile capital of the world as half the cars produced came from here! Pope Automobiles: 1911 Pope Hartford Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com

We also had a aicraft company in South Glastonbury, called the Harriman aircraft company. They would launch the new aircraft down a looong grassy slope to gain speed, and right out over the river they went!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 AM

269 posts, read 910,801 times
Quote:

CT was to the industrial revolution what silicon valley was to the technology boom. We even manufactured our own brand of automobiles in Hartford at one time! A the turn of the century Hartford - yes Hartford was considered the Automobile capital of the world as half the cars produced came from here! Pope Automobiles: 1911 Pope Hartford Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com
Yes luckily Henry Ford had a great idea to manufacture gasoline engine automobiles, otherwise we'd still be making those electric automobiles here in CT.

Enfield (Hazardville) used to manufacture gunpowder for all the guns made in CT. Powder Hallow in Hazardville used to be the Hazard Gunpowder Company or something like that.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
Yes luckily Henry Ford had a great idea to manufacture gasoline engine automobiles, otherwise we'd still be making those electric automobiles here in CT.

Enfield (Hazardville) used to manufacture gunpowder for all the guns made in CT. Powder Hallow in Hazardville used to be the Hazard Gunpowder Company or something like that.
Pope as far as I know, only had one electric vehicle...the rest were gasoline powered and the most powerful of their time. One model was good for 50mph back in 1910!

I do find it funny that gunpowder was made in "Hazardville".

Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:

I was riding around the Colt complex last summer (2009) many of the buildings were boarded up. I did see some apartments for rent. That looked like they were in an old Colt factory building.

There is also some old style apartments currently in use. (looked like the ghetto element was there though) They were probably built for Colt factory workers in the old days. Those buildings remind me of some of the housing you see in New Britain around Stanley Works.

As for Pope autos. I don't know if its the same man/company, but I read a story somewhere that said the Hartford/Springfield area could have been Detroit. How is this possible?

The story said a man in Springfield (who was building cars) sued Henry Ford for patent infringement (regarding autos). The man lost the case to Ford. After the case was won Ford moved forward building his cars and creating the factory line etc. in Detroit.

While on the topic of transportation. Weren't Indian motorcycles founded and built in Springfield, MA? I swear in the 80's I went to an Indian dealer in Springfield somewhere (possibly was on Main St.)

And thanks for the info on Marlin guns. I never heard of them before. Interesting stuff.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,230 times
Yes, Indian motorcycles were indeed founded and bulit in Springfield. There were also MANY auto manufactuers in Springfield, including even Rolls Royce from 1921 till 1931.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut