Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times

Advertisements

Now that I think of it, when did Westport actually took off? In the late 90s I find it hard to imagine that a sleepy like Westport can become such an affluent town when its further to NYC than Norwalk. I used to think that Darien will be the final cut off point but how wrong I was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 PM

243 posts, read 774,104 times
A lot of people associate Westport and it's wealth with Manhattan but a lot of your are forgetting that there are a lot of high paying jobs right here in Connecticut. Stamford, Norwalk, even Bridgeport has large law firms and physicians at top-rated hospitals.

While most of the money in Fairfield County is centered around NYC, there are many people who make their money right here in the state.

In fact many people I've heard about in Westport make it in areas such as Norwalk, Bridgeport and Stamford and less so in Manhattan. That's just what I've seen though.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:38 PM

243 posts, read 774,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Having lived in Fairfield for the first part of my life (and still have lots of friends there), I can agree 100% with this. Fairfielders often have an inferiority complex and try very hard to associate with Westport, Darien, New Canaan and Greenwich.

I find this to be true right up to Waterbury and New Haven. Southburians try to latch onto the Danbury area and ignore the Waterbury area. Oxfordites are obsessed with Monroe and Trumbull, and ignore the Valley. Try to tell someone from Shelton they're part of the Valley. You'd better duck or run.

This is one of the reasons why CT folks bug me a little.
Oxfordites are obsessed with Monroe? That's odd. Considering I feel a half of Monroe is obsessed with Bridgeport.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
A lot of people associate Westport and it's wealth with Manhattan but a lot of your are forgetting that there are a lot of high paying jobs right here in Connecticut. Stamford, Norwalk, even Bridgeport has large law firms and physicians at top-rated hospitals.

While most of the money in Fairfield County is centered around NYC, there are many people who make their money right here in the state.

In fact many people I've heard about in Westport make it in areas such as Norwalk, Bridgeport and Stamford and less so in Manhattan. That's just what I've seen though.
Doesn't make sense spending 2 hours on door to door commute each way everyday when you are making big $$ already unless they keep a family home in Westport and a small studio in nyc.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:14 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Doesn't make sense spending 2 hours on door to door commute each way everyday when you are making big $$ already unless they keep a family home in Westport and a small studio in nyc.
Westport is not 2 hours door to door. Not even Milford takes that long. Not if you work in midtown.

Westport is a 60-65 minute train ride. So, if you live within 5 miles of the train station and your office is in midtown, it's not a terrible commute. A LOT of people do that commute.

But as a previous poster mentioned, a lot of people also work in the area. There's a lot of the finance industry in the region, even in Westport itself. Stamford and Greenwich have a ton.

Also, FWIW, Westport was affluent in the late 90's. It has been for a while.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Westport is not 2 hours door to door. Not even Milford takes that long. Not if you work in midtown.

Westport is a 60-65 minute train ride. So, if you live within 5 miles of the train station and your office is in midtown, it's not a terrible commute. A LOT of people do that commute.

But as a previous poster mentioned, a lot of people also work in the area. There's a lot of the finance industry in the region, even in Westport itself. Stamford and Greenwich have a ton.

Also, FWIW, Westport was affluent in the late 90's. It has been for a while.
I'd say midtown is a 80-90min door to door commute but once you have to take/change subway its easily 2 hours.

It was affluent in the 90s yes, but I didn't expect them to experience the same margin of price appreciation as Darien. In fact, I feel that Darien prices while still higher than Westport, have recently plateaued while Westport looked like it has much more room to appreciate after this recovery phase. I think Westport has an edge in the depth and variety of its amenities in town that helps close the gap to Darien despite its relatively further distance to Stamford and NYC. To me only, there is a very easy way of gauging if your town's amenities will appeal to a broad base of buyers and create a liquid transactional market even in downtime but Im not sure I wanna say it as towns without this indicator will probably me flame me to oblivion.

Last edited by Konig1985; 04-03-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:

So true.

Quote:
Oxfordites are obsessed with Monroe? That's odd. Considering I feel a half of Monroe is obsessed with Bridgeport.
My point was that once you get south of Waterbury, people start associating themselves with whatever town is to the southwest of them. I'm sure it has something to do with where they work, but in the case of Oxford (and Shelton), they will do anything to distance themselves from the Valley.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-04-2011 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Now that I think of it, when did Westport actually took off? In the late 90s I find it hard to imagine that a sleepy like Westport can become such an affluent town when its further to NYC than Norwalk. I used to think that Darien will be the final cut off point but how wrong I was!
Westport has been a desirable town for years. Remember Lucy and Ricky moved there in the 1950's on I Love Lucy. The movie "The Man in the Gray Flannel Coat" was filmed there too. Westport served as a suburb to Bridgeport, Norwalk and Stamford too, not just New York so it was well established as a desirable suburb long before it was discovered by New Yorker. Jay

Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
One thing I have noticed about Westport is that the "bottom end" of the housing market seems to have come down. (This is just my impression... no stats backing this up). I am seeing the occasional livable condo in the mid 300's, which I have not seen in a long time.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:50 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
One thing I have noticed about Westport is that the "bottom end" of the housing market seems to have come down. (This is just my impression... no stats backing this up). I am seeing the occasional livable condo in the mid 300's, which I have not seen in a long time.
Absolutely, but not for SFHs. Condos are cheap all across the country right now. They currently aren't viewed as a good investment.

I'm seeing some amazing deals in Fairfield right now. We said we'd never move back to FFC, but the location and specs of one specific home we're looking at in FFLD is very appealing. The deals are going FAST though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut