Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:01 PM

9 posts, read 22,475 times

Advertisements

I am trying to buy a condo in Middletown. It will be my first as I have been renting since college. Today I looked at a nice place at the Carriage Crossing condo complex. The thing that is turning me off is that so many of the units there are for sale. I counted at least thirty in the various listings i went through... not counting the foreclosures. I know times are hard, but this place seems to be losing a lot of people. Any information out there about it? it looks nice and the units I saw were well kept up and clean. Any help appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:35 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Considering that there are 325 units in that complex, it's not uncommon for two dozen or more to be on the market at any given time. By the way, there are five different models. My favorite is Daumont - a two-bedroom model with a true hallway and guest bathroom.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,693,459 times
i looked at a couple units a few years ago (dont remember which ones). thought they were pretty nice inside though a bit small for a condo (~900 sq ft). good for a first place though if you don't mind the ranch style layout. for a condo, i'd much prefer town house style - more privacy that way (walls are usually thicker than floors and ceilings) but that's up to you. personally i thought the living room was too small. just my opinion.
as far as the number of units available, i'd say that's due more to the economy than the complex itself.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Considering that there are 325 units in that complex, it's not uncommon for two dozen or more to be on the market at any given time. By the way, there are five different models. My favorite is Daumont - a two-bedroom model with a true hallway and guest bathroom.
Actually there is a sixth model as well. Strangely there is one (yes 1) 3 bedroom unit in the complex. It is on the top floor of the building to the left (south) of the club house. I think they combined three or 4 one bedroom units to make it and I believe it was done because of parking. The unit might even be for sale right now. I think I saw it listed.

I know Carriage Crossing well. I was one of the first owners there when it was built. It is a nice complex and definitely a place to just start out. Most people are young singles or newly marrieds who are taking their first step to homeownership. I think the reason there are so many units for sale is that now is a great time to make that next step up to a single family home so people are taking advantage of it.

Generally the complex is good for that first buy. The clubhouse, pool and tennis court are great amenities and the location is very convenient for commuting to Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury or even Fairfield County. The units are small but well laid out. I like that the two bedroom units have two baths and the bedrooms are separated which is good in a roommate situation. I would advise you to check a few things in the unit you buy there. Check and see if the windows have been replaced. The originals leak badly. Also the heat/AC units are now 20+ years old and should be replaced. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Jay

Old 04-28-2010, 07:43 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I just checked the listings and only see about 17 units for sale at Carriage Crossing. I hope you are not including Trolley Crossing which is completely different complex. I do not think that 17 units for sale out of 325 is a lot. If you look at Forest Glen or Trolley Crossing which I believe are both smaller, I think you will see they have a higher percentage of units for sale. Also note that the one 3 bedroom unit I mentioned at Carriage Crossing is for sale. Jay

Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 AM

I searched the name "Carriage Crossing" and came up with dozens of listings from various realtors.. but some of them may have been old ones. I noticed a large number at Trolley Crossing as well. I really only need a one bedroom but people are telling me a two bedroom is a better investment. What do you think about that? Also, I have seen a couple of units there listed as "foreclosures" with a much lower listed price. How does one find out about these? Thanks a lot for your help. So glad I stumbled on this site.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 AM

"I really only need a one bedroom but people are telling me a two bedroom is a better investment."
I've heard this too and i think there's something to it. has to do with resale value. i'm guessing but id say most people who buy property are either families or young couples looking to start a family. in either case a one bedroom wouldn't accommodate the kid factor.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:00 AM

91 posts, read 125,664 times
Aren't Trolley Crossing and Forest Glen generally a bit more expensive, also?

Anyway, one thing I like about Carriage Crossing is the exterior, one of the best I've ever seen for a Condo.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreliroth View Post
Aren't Trolley Crossing and Forest Glen generally a bit more expensive, also?

Anyway, one thing I like about Carriage Crossing is the exterior, one of the best I've ever seen for a Condo.
my experience when i was looking was that FG was just as small as CC but that both were still priced about the same as bigger places (eg: Cromwell Hills (150K+)). i dismissed both of them for 2 reasons: didn't think i was getting as much for the money and they were both ranch style. both were very nice otherwise though.
and yes i agree on the exterior of CC. very attractive design.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Can you tell me what complex you chose? Looking at the condos at Carriage Crossing was my first experience looking at anything.. Is there a condo complex in the West Lake area that stands out to you as a better one? I am hoping to get something for around $150,000. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut