Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,026 times

Advertisements

Yes, I think for what I'm trying to accomplish the Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle) is the way to go. My only problem now is that I've had two emails from two different techs at Foscam. One says that I would have to buy TWO cameras (one for the bedroom and one for the living room). The other tech says that I can move the ONE camera during the day (thus one camera to achieve my two purposes). I think at this point, it'll be best for me to call them directly.

They are looking for $90 vs Amazon's $70. But ... if you buy through them directly, you get full technical support in the set-up and any other issues you run into. Here is their website:

Foscam FI8918W Wireless IP Camera - Black
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 AM

153 posts, read 317,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Yes, I think for what I'm trying to accomplish the Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle) is the way to go. My only problem now is that I've had two emails from two different techs at Foscam. One says that I would have to buy TWO cameras (one for the bedroom and one for the living room). The other tech says that I can move the ONE camera during the day (thus one camera to achieve my two purposes). I think at this point, it'll be best for me to call them directly.

They are looking for $90 vs Amazon's $70. But ... if you buy through them directly, you get full technical support in the set-up and any other issues you run into. Here is their website:

Foscam FI8918W Wireless IP Camera - Black

Their tech support should be the same regardless of who you buy it from. Do they specifically not support when purchased from others?

Old 12-16-2011, 09:26 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDwiki View Post
Their tech support should be the same regardless of who you buy it from. Do they specifically not support when purchased from others?
Apparently not:

Please Note: In order to receive free telephone based technical support as well as our domestic (US/Canada/UK) 1 year replacement warranty, you must purchase your camera directly from Foscam.us using the online checkout system on this website.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Quote:
Apparently not:

Please Note: In order to receive free telephone based technical support as well as our domestic (US/Canada/UK) 1 year replacement warranty, you must purchase your camera directly from Foscam.us using the online checkout system on this website.
I thought I saw on their site that you would receive full support if you bought from an authorized dealer.

I'll go looking...

Edit: Can't find it. Actually I can't find anything about their support on the site. That's not comforting at all.

Okay, another edit. Found this by Googling Foscam authorized dealers.

Please note: In order to receive Free Telephone Technical Support as well as our US Based 1 Year Replacement Warranty, you must purchase directly from Foscam.us or from one of the Authorized Dealers listed on our Where to Buy page. <--That link is clickable, BTW.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 12-16-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 PM

This is a very confusing post. You say the reviews for the Foscam are mixed, then say the others are better reviewed, but the Foscam is is the second one listed in the link...

Old 12-16-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Apparently not:

I would not buy from a company that has that kind of policy. They purposely inflate prices to pay for the tech support.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I would not buy from a company that has that kind of policy. They purposely inflate prices to pay for the tech support.
I have to assume you have me on ignore. Makes you look stupid because you are responding to a problem I found the solution to...

Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I have to assume you have me on ignore. Makes you look stupid because you are responding to a problem I found the solution to...
How rude. I read your post and it was irrelevant. Simply buying the item on Amazon does not make it bought from Amazon, thus having no tech support.

See: Amazon.com: Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle) - Black NEWEST MODEL (replaces the FI8908W): Camera & Photo

The item is only available from 3rd party sellers, NOT Amazon.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This is a very confusing post. You say the reviews for the Foscam are mixed, then say the others are better reviewed, but the Foscam is is the second one listed in the link...
The foscam has 3.5 stars. You're right that not all on that page are better, but some are. Such as:

Amazon.com: VideoSecu Bullet Outdoor CCD Security Camera Day Night 26 IR Infrared LEDs With Free Power Supply 1Z8: Electronics
and
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0035V0UUQ

Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
How rude. I read your post and it was irrelevant. Simply buying the item on Amazon does not make it bought from Amazon, thus having no tech support.

See: Amazon.com: Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle) - Black NEWEST MODEL (replaces the FI8908W): Camera & Photo

The item is only available from 3rd party sellers, NOT Amazon.
Rude? I'm guessing you didn't bother to go to the page I linked to before posting your NOT comment, which was pretty rude. Therefore you missed the fact that Amazon is NOT the authorized dealer. If you did and still thought that Amazon WAS the authorized dealer you're in need of reading comprehension 101.

Gimme a break.

My apologies to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics