Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times

Advertisements

Is there anyway to get HBO with cable or sat?

1) Torrent. SHows are available in high def next day. illegal, though risk is low.

2) get a friend. Maybe he doesn't use hbo go and/or willing to share his comcast password/username for a fee

3) move to that country that allows HBO Go without a cable subscription. . .forget which one.

4)Sign up for HBO on one of the SUPPORTED cable/sat providers.

That is about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Are we seriously going to promote illegal activities here?

Anyways, maybe dial-up is faster in Chicago, but it appears that the OPs dial-up internet would be too slow to download torrents or utilize HBO go.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Are we seriously going to promote illegal activities here?

Anyways, maybe dial-up is faster in Chicago, but it appears that the OPs dial-up internet would be too slow to download torrents or utilize HBO go.
I'm certainly not. I don't know about those "torrent" sites but if they're illegal, they couldn't be very safe. Too much opportunity for people to infect your computer. Thanks but no thanks

I used to have dial-up but upgraded to high-speed when I set up the Roku box. I came here to ask about it and got the info on what I'd need in the way of speed. Dial-up won't work at all. Between local stations and the channels available through Roku, I wouldn't have time to watch HBO or any of those premium channels offered by cable or satellite. Lots to choose from for pennies a day.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I was referring to ChrisFromChicago's suggestions.

Good call on the high speed upgrade. Enjoy your viewing.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I was referring to ChrisFromChicago's suggestions.

Good call on the high speed upgrade. Enjoy your viewing.
I knew that, I was just throwing my two cents in.

Thanks! I love saving the money and watching more than I ever had, before Roku

Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm certainly not. I don't know about those "torrent" sites but if they're illegal, they couldn't be very safe. Too much opportunity for people to infect your computer. Thanks but no thanks

Illegal yes, but virus - not really. You wouldn't download something without comments/verification of authenticity. The biggest worry you have is a nasty note from your provider warning you.

Yet the OP wanted options and since HBO is in bed with the cable operators, I listed all options I would personally think about using. technical, you can't have HBO GO without a cable/sat.. . you can't even buy the episodes legally.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
Is there any way to get cable programming online? I seem to remember seeing ads for packages that were priced about the same as I was paying for cable at the time. I tried looking for them recently, but couldn't find anything like it.

I hardly ever spend time at home, so a standard cable subscription would be a waste of money. It would be great if I could get the same programming via WiFi.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We recently bought a Roku streaming player Roku Streaming Player | Roku Streaming Player after 15+ years of satellite. Yes we like Netflix, it serves our purposes, there are other services through Roku. They also offer HBO GO | Roku Streaming Player, but I did not study the "fine print" on HBO...
UPDATE:

We still are using the Roku streaming player. We are paying for Netflix. We also went with Amazon Prime, which you pay per year, I think $76.00. But it saves on shipping if you buy a lot from Amazon...

We can not get HBO. It seems you have to have HBO by cable to be able to get it through Roku. That is OK, we gave up HBO around 1980...

And still using Over The Air for local channels. So, life is good...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics