Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:01 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times

Advertisements

I have noticed articles & such talking about how stand-alone MP3 players basically are dead because everyone just uses their smartphone as MP3 players. Am I weird for hoping not?

I have a smartphone & use it & would NOT want to return a flip-phone, but 2 things I don't use my phone for--photos (the quality is very subpar, my camera has a Eye-Fi card which allows me to post camera-produced photos same as with the phone) and for MP3 playing. (Now that I think about it, I prefer using a Garmin Nuvi for GPS navigation too.)

For some reason, I prefer using a stand-alone MP3 player, in my case a SanDisk Clip Plus or Zip (with RockBox firmware) and all the songs dumped on a 32G microSD card (I have about 22G worth of music). Whether I am working out shooting baskets or just out & about, or "lounging," I just prefer a separate player. They seem to sound better, and they're much easier to work with tactile buttons. Besides, I don't want my smartphone alerts (email, Facebook etc) coming through the headphones while I'm jamming, it's distracting, and I don't want to have to keep switching the alerts off/on for that reason. Heck, I'm still amazed that a player that small can contain that much music and sound that good and be that cheap (I paid $20 for mine, shipped).

I'm not hear to criticize those who just the phone, it's all good, and they do offer the advantage of you not missing a phone call and they probably also are better at seamless integration/synchronizing phone and PC, just seeing if I'm the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 09:03 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Not crazy, just in the minority.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:25 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I kept an iPod in my glove compartment instead of using my phone, until some tweakers broke into my car and stole it. Now I just use my phone.

Never really got the appeal of standalone GPS - awful touchscreens and frequently outdated maps.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
(JasonF) I do sometimes use the Google Maps & find it to be more accurate in terms of location vs a stand-alone whose maps are out-of-date.

The thing is (a) you better have that phone plugged in because the GPS absolutely destroys the battery and (b) the way the layout of the controls etc are, you can't work it short of pulling over & really focusing on what you're doing. Obviously working something while driving is not a great idea, but with my Garmin Nuvi I at least can take "where to, go home" easily enough while parked & just reaching for the icons, while with Google Maps I have to REALLY and I mean REALLY concentrate as if I'm trying to solve an algebra equation to get it going.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
....SanDisk Clip Plus....
You're not comparing Apples to Apples here since most smartphones are 6x larger. Now if you were comparing to a 7th gen Nano, then I'd go with the Nano since it's small and has Bluetooth.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I don't have a smartphone, don't want one or need one. I too have a SanDisk Clip MP3 player but mine is not a Plus model with removable micro cards--which I why I bought that brand. I wanted removable media.

I don't have a home computer (again, don't want one, don't need the expense) so I'm limited to whatever software is on my computer at work. I am blocked from downloading or installing any other software. My computer has WMP and it's compatible with SanDisk MP3 players so that was yet another reason to buy that brand.

My issue with using a phone as an MP3 player (regardless of brand) is the battery life will be drained.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You're not comparing Apples to Apples here since most smartphones are 6x larger. Now if you were comparing to a 7th gen Nano, then I'd go with the Nano since it's small and has Bluetooth.
Spoken like someone that has never experienced the RockBox Firmware.
I'd take a Rockboxed anything over any other device on the market.

Rockbox... well... ROCKS!
Rockbox - Free Music Player Firmware

Can't wait until they finish the app for Android.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I have noticed articles & such talking about how stand-alone MP3 players basically are dead because everyone just uses their smartphone as MP3 players. Am I weird for hoping not?
I like the fact I can plug my iPhone into my car and play my music... The screen actually says "iPod detected" but I don't have to carry an iPod.

One less device is good.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:19 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I rarely use the MP3 player on my iPhone as it eats up too much memory. And drains the battery. I really love my IPod nano clip on (they don't make my model anymore). it's square (~2x2), and a touch version. I just clip it on and go. No worries about hitting the headphone cord & accidentally throwing it across the room.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
I use my old iPod is used in areas where it may be damaged, and when I don't need a phone. It also has more disk space than my iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics