Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:03 PM

21 posts, read 47,597 times

Advertisements

My power outlet is all the way below, so I was thinking to get power cord extension, connect it to the power outlet, and then hide the extension in one those white cable covers all the way up to a wall mounted shelf, where the cable box would be, then hang the surge protector on the wall behind the tv. Connect the surge protector to the power cord extension, then connect my TV and cable box power cables to the surge protector, this would hide all the cables

and the only cable going down would be the power extension cord, this would also allow me to connect a bluray or ps4 in the future, since i can simply connect it all behind the TV

Is it possible? I don't see why not, even if you are using a power cord extension, it is connected to the surge protector
Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 09:28 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Ask your fire chief or local building codes authority.

Ohh and buy some marshmallows to be toasted for this event.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Ask your fire chief or local building codes authority.

Ohh and buy some marshmallows to be toasted for this event.
how come, whats the difference? i never said i would put the extension inside the freaking wall

I'm gonna hide it behind a white cable cover, as many people do with their cords, in fact, that's how most people hide their power tv cable, which leads from tv on the freaking wall to the power outlet at the floor, what is the difference?

also, whats the difference between having a surge protector behind your tv stand at floor level and having right up the wall, no difference

You clearly have no clue about any of this

Old 08-22-2016, 11:25 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
If it's like this, it might look ok:

Old 08-23-2016, 07:24 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I don't really understand what you're asking. Is it possible to put a surge protector behind the TV? Of course it is. You go on to explain exactly how it could be done. What are you thinking cannot work in this scenario?
I have a friend with one behind his TV. Not on a shelf or anything just wedged into the (enormous) wall mount he has.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't really understand what you're asking. Is it possible to put a surge protector behind the TV? Of course it is. You go on to explain exactly how it could be done. What are you thinking cannot work in this scenario?
I have a friend with one behind his TV. Not on a shelf or anything just wedged into the (enormous) wall mount he has.
- My power outlet is all way down to the floor
- My TV is mounted on the wall
- I want to hang a surge protector on the wall, right behind my TV
- That way, I can easily hide the TV and Cable box power cables and connect them to the surge protector.
- I want to connect an extension cable in my power outlet
- Hide this extension cable behind a white cable strip cover
- Then, connect my surge protector to the extension cable, they would meet at the back of the TV
- I will not put the extension the cable in the walls
- I REPEAT I WILL NOT PUT THE EXTENSION CABLE IN THE WALLS
-NOTHING WILL GO INSIDE THE WALLS

Old 08-23-2016, 10:45 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I never implied you were putting anything in the wall.
Yes, it will work. I don't get why you think it will not? Just have a proper extension cable that can handle a surge protector... not the old little brown types that don't have a ground.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I never implied you were putting anything in the wall.
Yes, it will work. I don't get why you think it will not? Just have a proper extension cable that can handle a surge protector... not the old little brown types that don't have a ground.
I know, just wanted to make sure

by "ground", you mean having the third prong, right?

I'm getting this

StarTech Model PAC1011410-Newegg.com

Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
you will also be better protected by using a 14 gauge cord, not a skinny 18.

Frankly, though, unless you're out in the country, a surge protector is a waste of money IMHO. Most electronics are designed with excellent surge protection inside. External surge protectors are drop dead simple inside, usually only one additional component, and usually over-priced for what you get.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:31 AM

141 posts, read 211,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinusBro View Post
by "ground", you mean having the third prong, right?
Best way to hide the protector is to locate one where it actually does effective protection. That plug-in protector does not even claim to protect from surges that do damage. In some cases, it can make damage easier. In rare cases, create a fire. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground; which is not the safety ground in that power cord.

A 'whole house' solution does for everything what you only wish that plug-in protector will do only for a TV. Even protect from direct lightning strikes. Read spec numbers. Destructive surges (ones that do damage) can be hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules does your plug-in protector claim to absorb? A thousand? Why do much effort to hide a near zero protector? Why not spend less money to protect everything - for a protector that does not fail even with direct lightning strikes? To be effective, a protector must make a low impedance (ie less than 10 foot) connection to earth ground.

Then a two prong power cord on a TV does not even need a thicker three prong extension cord (that has a safety ground). Even a wire cover can be thinner.

Thicker wire will not increase protection. Protection is defined by impedance (ie length, sharp bends, splices, metallic conduit, etc) of that connection to earth ground.

A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Effective protectors earth BEFORE a surge can enter a building. A solution always found in facilities that cannot have damage. And a best way to hide a protector while actually protecting everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics