Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:47 AM

252 posts, read 1,071,861 times

Advertisements

UGH........my vcr went out after 30yrs, I went out and got another since I just record, and that is about it, when I want to watch a movie I do pay per view on my dishnetwork.
Now, i am disgruntled because when I do want to get a movie, which is usually the library, all they have now is DVD's? UGH!
And most of the video places are all DVD's...........as always I am behind on the times......
So, do I get a DVD player to go with my VCR player? or should I get a combo?
And should I get a DVD with a recorder and switch over all my VCR tapes? YIKES.

You are talking to someone who just bought her first CD player last year, I KNOW I WAIT UNTIL SOMETHING BREAKS BEFORE I BUY NEW. I think I just am afraid of new, and really am so used to the old that I don't even WANT to mess with the new.

Everyone I know laughs at how old fashioned I am.

Are DVD's really that much better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 11:06 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
The picture quality is far superior if you have a new tv

Old 11-29-2006, 11:09 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
DVDs take up a lot less space to store.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:12 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,278 times
I have "boxes:" of movies on tape. I do not want to go re-buy those movies on DVD. I am clueless on how to transfer my tapes to DVD. It seems like it would be so much work. I do have a Dvd player and now buy movies on Dvd only!
Same thing with my home video's on tape. I need to update my camcorder to DVD.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
DVD's are better quality and it is easier to start at a certain point than it is a vhs tape. And the space they take up is also another +. Be careful on the DVD recorders. This is a ROYAL PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not every DVD Player, recorder or dvd itself is the same. You have different types and they are all "read" differently. There is DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, etc. So if you say buy a Panasonic DVD recorder and record something on disc and then try to play it on a Sony or JVC DVD player it may not read it. For once I would LOVE for these companies to just pick one type and stick with it. If you look on the manual and it should also be on the tag at the store and sometimes on the front of the DVD player/recorder itself it will tell what type of DVD's it works with.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:44 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,331 times
Ahh.. I just got my dad to switch to dvds a couple months ago!!
I would recomend getting the dvd/vcr combo. Get one with the recording to dvd feature this way you can change over your favorite movies to dvd. And you can still watch them right now. Eventually that tape in the VCR tapes are going to give out from frequent watch.. so you might as well get on it now!

Dvds have better picture I think. Not to mention they are so much more convient to flip through scenes with the menus they have. Plus.. if you can luck out and find a dvd player in a surround sound.. they will play your cds too.. so you will end up getting multiple use out of it in the end.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:58 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
DVD's are better quality and it is easier to start at a certain point than it is a vhs tape. And the space they take up is also another +. Be careful on the DVD recorders. This is a ROYAL PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not every DVD Player, recorder or dvd itself is the same. You have different types and they are all "read" differently. There is DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, etc. So if you say buy a Panasonic DVD recorder and record something on disc and then try to play it on a Sony or JVC DVD player it may not read it. For once I would LOVE for these companies to just pick one type and stick with it. If you look on the manual and it should also be on the tag at the store and sometimes on the front of the DVD player/recorder itself it will tell what type of DVD's it works with.
Good tip! Thank you

Old 11-29-2006, 12:06 PM

393 posts, read 1,881,167 times
Default No Kidding

Different know that u can get one that won't read another brand of DVD.......Now what do u look for?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:12 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Different know that u can get one that won't read another brand of DVD.......Now what do u look for?
If you have multiple DVD players in your house then find out which ones they read. Same goes w/ your camcorder if it is a DVD one. You also have to buy the right kind of DVD disc to record onto. With all of this craziness it is good to pick one brand of electronics when it comes to the whole DVD issue and stick with that one. Some play/record several. It is rather strange to explain and I had trouble even getting the guy AND the manager at a large corp electronic store to explain it to me. Some of them don't even understand it themselves or even know. If you have found an electronic store that you like and they are well informed they should be able to help guide you thru it and explain it better than I ever could. Next time you are at the store just look at the blank DVD discs they have that you can buy and see how many different types there are just to get an idea. This same thing drives me crazy with cell phones, each model even by the same company requires a different charger. urghhhhhhh

Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
The picture quality is far superior if you have a new tv
Very true, the old 90's tv's won't give you the best picture even if you purchase a high-end DVD player. I always buy the same brand of DVD Player, TV, Surround Sound System, etc; it just makes everything much simpler.

I highly recommend a DVD and VRC Recorder, then you can convert all your tapes to dvd's. You can find good ones from $150-$200, look for specials and you may even find a few for less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics