Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,334 times

Advertisements

Multiple disc DVD players.

Why on earth did they discontinue making these? Is there a new alternative method for being able to watch multiple DVD's without having to get up and change the disc each time just to view another one? I have a library of TV series where I like to watch one or maybe two episodes of one show, then go on to another program - like a typical evening back when network TV was watchable - without having to go and change the disc. I don't do Netflix or any of this pay per view stuff. Some things are available on line, and I do view some old programs that way (You Tube) but the advertisements at 150 decibels ruin the whole experience and many shows get deleted - hence my library of DVD's.

So did some technological breakthrough occur, or did they rig this whole business to discourage people from "creating" their own private TV network viewing experience? Given the useless electronic junk I can't imagine anybody wanting (the 3" screen movie viewers take the cake) why in heavens name can't they make a DVD player that loads 5 or 6 discs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 03:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Why on Earth can't you use Google? Seriously, what stops you from inserting the same text you used to open your post to find what you want?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o....0.c43OEx0uosM

Old 12-17-2016, 07:59 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
Multiples cd/dvd are out of style (basically not a lot of people are going to buy them). It is more of a specialty item these days. Why? Cause technology advanced so most people don't own DVD anymore.

If you want one, just search on the used market.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Multiples cd/dvd are out of style (basically not a lot of people are going to buy them). It is more of a specialty item these days. Why? Cause technology advanced so most people don't own DVD anymore.

No need to buy used

https://www.amazon.com/SONY-DVP-NC61.../dp/B00006AN5I

Holy cow!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVPCX995.../dp/B000A3XRSO

Old 12-18-2016, 01:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
These are only available only "used" far as I can tell. One is a 400 disc mega changer at $2000, the only ones they still make. But you've confirmed what I already have seen (via google and Amazon search). They apparently no longer make 5 or 6 disc DVD players.

DVD's are history, huh? Not at my house. And I know many people who use DVD's but not in the manner in which I do. I have the equivalent of probably three whole TV seasons worth of shows (entire collections, start to finish) and odds & ends including BBC stuff and a few movies that I watch and I even re-run them after a year or two. Just stuff I want to watch, when I want to watch them. I haven't watched 5 minutes of contemporary TV in over 10 years, or gone to a show in 30 years. It's such garbage.

I'm going to look over the used stock, but if I find nothing trusty looking, I may just buy a couple more single disc players and pigtail them to the TV - run one of the three at a time to the same AV input. Should give at least 1:30 of viewing before possibly needing to change to something else - if it works.

Thank you all for your expedient response to my question.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 12-18-2016 at 02:26 AM..

Old 12-18-2016, 06:40 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post

Yep. DVDs are old news.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:00 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

I'm going to look over the used stock, but if I find nothing trusty looking, I may just buy a couple more single disc players and pigtail them to the TV - run one of the three at a time to the same AV input. Should give at least 1:30 of viewing before possibly needing to change to something else - if it works.
Why the extra work? Blueray players play DVD just fine, sometimes better than some older DVD players. You can still buy them new, and they plug right into HDMI ports. No HDMI? Some players have older outputs too.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
These are only available only "used" far as I can tell. One is a 400 disc mega changer at $2000, the only ones they still make. But you've confirmed what I already have seen (via google and Amazon search). They apparently no longer make 5 or 6 disc DVD players.

DVD's are history, huh? Not at my house. And I know many people who use DVD's but not in the manner in which I do. I have the equivalent of probably three whole TV seasons worth of shows (entire collections, start to finish) and odds & ends including BBC stuff and a few movies that I watch and I even re-run them after a year or two. Just stuff I want to watch, when I want to watch them. I haven't watched 5 minutes of contemporary TV in over 10 years, or gone to a show in 30 years. It's such garbage.

Thank you all for your expedient response to my question.
I swear that note wasn't there the first time I looked.

Or I'm blind as a bat.

I vote blind.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:35 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I swear that note wasn't there the first time I looked.

Or I'm blind as a bat.

I vote blind.
You got my vote as well.

That first one, which was first on sale in 2002, hasn't been sold new on Amazon for years (by Amazon or 3rd party).

Old 12-18-2016, 07:26 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Multiple disc DVD players.

Why on earth did they discontinue making these? Is there a new alternative method for being able to watch multiple DVD's without having to get up and change the disc each time just to view another one? I have a library of TV series where I like to watch one or maybe two episodes of one show, then go on to another program - like a typical evening back when network TV was watchable - without having to go and change the disc. I don't do Netflix or any of this pay per view stuff. Some things are available on line, and I do view some old programs that way (You Tube) but the advertisements at 150 decibels ruin the whole experience and many shows get deleted - hence my library of DVD's.

So did some technological breakthrough occur, or did they rig this whole business to discourage people from "creating" their own private TV network viewing experience? Given the useless electronic junk I can't imagine anybody wanting (the 3" screen movie viewers take the cake) why in heavens name can't they make a DVD player that loads 5 or 6 discs?
Cute rant. You COULD put a DVD player or two near your easy chair and have your DVDs at arms length. I've got a 5 DVD player that sits ready for me to put it out for garbage pickup. Figuring out which DVDs were in the tray and in which slots was a pain, and every DVD has load time, which is irritating. I went to a single player, which is more sane for me. Much of my stuff is MP4 now.

You might try one of the ad-blockers on youtube. I hear that sometimes they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics