Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 11:29 AM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times

Advertisements

I was visiting my mother the other day, and at one point her phone rang once -- the number displaying on the TV screen as usual -- and then stopped. She explained to me that it was a blocked call. I can't make sense of this.

Anytime I've blocked a call, I've never heard from that number again. Isn't that the point? To ensure the annoying number doesn't keep ringing your phone and clogging up your caller ID 5-10 times a week? If the "blocked" calls are still going to be made known to you, then why bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 12:39 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
The trouble is these spammers always change #s.. Its VERY HARD to block them!!!!

And the WORST THING YOU CAN DO IS SIGN THE DO NOT CALL LIST!! (You are just asking to be rammed!!!)

Old 05-01-2017, 01:22 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I can't make sense of this.
Without knowing what provider she and you are using, there is no way to know why you have it one way and she has it another. Every single provider of communications services can have one or a dozen different ways to block call.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:09 AM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times
Both of us have service providers that are local to our area, so it's unlikely you're familiar with them. And while I realize that different companies have their own approach to technology, I still don't see why any company would allow a customer who blocked a call to remain aware that the number was calling. It changes nothing.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:52 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Again, this may be a decision your mother made and not necessarily from the provider. I can block numbers through my telephone provider, or I can use my telephone interface to block the number, or I can block the number from ringing yet still allow it to be displayed to caller ID or the TV, or I can have the television block or display a number, or I can have the telephone provider allow the display of a blocked number yet not have it ring the phones, or....... You are asking why the company is letting this happen when for all we know, it could be your mothers decision to do it this way! This is even more likely when using a VOIP service or other internet based or technology based phone service provider. Throw in television service by the telephone provider and you have more options, some they don;t even tell you about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics