Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some advice on in-wall speakers installation. I was torn as to whether this belongs in the house section or the tech section.

Here goes:

I'm relatively handy now that I've been renovating other areas of the house. I'm pretty set on in-wall speakers. Currently there is no wiring in the house for speakers. I have the benefit(???) that I'm taking down the wood paneling (ugh) and replacing it with sheetrock. So, I'm going to have the wall open. Side note: I have a crawlspace directly under the room where I plan to put the speakers.

I think it is safe to say that running the wiring while the wall is open makes perfect sense. However, I'm not sure if I should install the speakers while the wall is open (and just cut the hole in the sheetrock for the speakers as I install. Or should I run the wiring in the wall, put up the sheetrock and then install the speakers by cutting a hole in the sheetrock then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
First, recognize that the fidelity won't be anywhere near that of a speaker in a properly designed enclosure. Second, plan on using some sort of damping material like fiberglass or foam to give even basic good sound. Third, run the wires, install the bracing for the speaker mounts, then put up the sheet rock, ATTACH THE SHEET ROCK TO THE BRACES (construction glue and sheet rock nails). and cut through. Otherwise you get buzzing and vibration issues. Fourth, learn about 70vt lines and L-pads if you plan on running wire any distance more than about 25 ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics