Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:16 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
I'm loving all these positive posts about Cookeville! My husband and I recently moved from the Chicago area to Floyd, VA but after a year are considering looking at Cookeville and plan a trip the first of October. I am really excited about this trip!!
My wife and I visited the Cookeville/Crossville areas in 2007 and decided this was the area in which we were going to retire. We actually settled on a development called Cumberland Cove between Cookeville and Crossville. We purchased 4 acre lot there on which we will build our retirement home. I think you will also like the area. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:34 AM

869 posts, read 1,786,424 times
I arrived in Cookeville 8/1 after 2 years of planning. Timing was due to my kids starting 7th & 9th grades respectively. While there has been stress in this move, mainly due to the fact that my house up north hasn't sold and my wiife is still up there for another month, Cookeville and the house we have found have been everything I had hoped. I was familiar with the area because I have owned a condo In Fairfield Glade since 2001. That area is beautiful and a golfer & retirees paradise, but we needed a city with a great school system and a little more than Crossville has to offer. Cookeville fits the bill perfectly. I haven't had enough of a chance to sample local eateries, but I will be doing that over the next few months. I'd love to hear your impressions after your visit.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 AM

179 posts, read 452,945 times
Making great progress - the Superior Walls was a great choice for this area. My hubby and I finished our build in March and just loved it!! We self-contracted the project, and while it was tough, it was very rewarding and well worth the effort. Best of luck!!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:05 PM

231 posts, read 585,670 times
Thx AmberFlynn,

Unfortunately, the house construction was delayed from all of the rain experienced during the last few weeks. Right now, they finished the rough plumbing and finally poured the basement foundation earlier this week. Next week, we begin to frame out the basement and hopefully start the main floor trusses the following week. We are going up next week and I will post new photos.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I bet!! Well, just so you know, that amount of rain isn't normal, haha!! Sorry about your delay, that's the most frustrating thing about building, IMO. So are you building long distance? That sounds a little scary

Old 10-03-2009, 05:36 PM

5 posts, read 11,581 times
Thank you so much for sharing your dream coming true. It gives me hope that my dream of a straw bale home can come true too! I'm currently in Ohio and looking at Tennessee as my next home. I went down to Hendersonville, NC early in September. Very pretty but it did not speak to my heart. The Knoxville area has many times since I first drove through in the early 1980s. I plan a trip to the area in the spring and will also be checking out the plateau too. Since I love to swim and have back issues an indoor pool where I can swim laps year round is a must. The year round includes summers when the kids are off school. Not sure if that is available in Cookeville but I know there is one near Crossville. Anyway, thank you again for sharing.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:40 PM

851 posts, read 2,457,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triweaver2 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing your dream coming true. It gives me hope that my dream of a straw bale home can come true too! I'm currently in Ohio and looking at Tennessee as my next home. I went down to Hendersonville, NC early in September. Very pretty but it did not speak to my heart. The Knoxville area has many times since I first drove through in the early 1980s. I plan a trip to the area in the spring and will also be checking out the plateau too. Since I love to swim and have back issues an indoor pool where I can swim laps year round is a must. The year round includes summers when the kids are off school. Not sure if that is available in Cookeville but I know there is one near Crossville. Anyway, thank you again for sharing.
Please explain, what is a straw bale home is?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 11,581 times
The type I like is basically a post and beam type home with straw bale as the walls. The bales are sealed with something like lime plaster to protect from the weather and critters. There are many still standing in Nebraska and other states in that area for many, many years. Check out the picture on Straw Bale House Construction and Natural Building Design, a Tennessee architect, to get an idea of where they start. strawbale.com is also a great place for more information.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:53 PM

Cookeville has an excellent YMCA with an indoor pool.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triweaver2 View Post
The spring is a beautiful time to visit! Lots of indoor pools in Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville