Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 AM

245 posts, read 696,340 times

Advertisements

Morning!

We've lived in San Antonio for several years and have only made it to Corpus a few times (been so busy!), just to the beach where the state aquarium is. I've heard there are nicer beaches down there, though. So yesterday I was researching and came across Malaquite Beach. I would like to drive down one weekend and take my wife and 3 little girls there. Just have a few questions!

Are there any restrooms at this beach? Or is it all just so undeveloped that you have to get in the car and drive down somewhere else to use the restroom? From the pictures I saw it looks pretty nice. We'd like to maybe camp there one night, but then again, not sure what type of facilities are available as far as showers / restrooms are concerned. Maybe we'll just stay at a hotel a little farther up and then go to the beach in the day.

Also, what other nice, family-friendly (with little kids) beaches are there? I would like to really take advantage of living this close to the Gulf and visit it more with the family.

Thanks in advance for any input --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Malaquite Beach is on the Padre Island National Seashore and has very nice facilities. There are showers, restrooms and a gift shop. You can camp with a permit. Unless you have a 4-wheel drive, you park in a lot and take your stuff down to the beach. You can drive on other beaches, but not there, which is nice if you have small kids. You can camp with a permit. The fee to use the NP is $10 per car, or $20 for a year long pass.

Just so you know, the beach by the aquarium is on Corpus Christi bay, where the waves are small and there is no undertow. Malaquite and the other Padre Island beaches are on the Gulf and you'll need to be very careful with your small children. And with yourselves, for that matter, if you're not familiar with it.

Other Gulf beaches are Mustang Island State Park and the beach at Port Aransas. They're all part of the same long barrier island, but owned by different entities.

Hope you're able to make it down. Wear sunscreen!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM

245 posts, read 696,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Malaquite Beach is on the Padre Island National Seashore and has very nice facilities. There are showers, restrooms and a gift shop. You can camp with a permit. Unless you have a 4-wheel drive, you park in a lot and take your stuff down to the beach. You can drive on other beaches, but not there, which is nice if you have small kids. You can camp with a permit. The fee to use the NP is $10 per car, or $20 for a year long pass.

Just so you know, the beach by the aquarium is on Corpus Christi bay, where the waves are small and there is no undertow. Malaquite and the other Padre Island beaches are on the Gulf and you'll need to be very careful with your small children. And with yourselves, for that matter, if you're not familiar with it.

Other Gulf beaches are Mustang Island State Park and the beach at Port Aransas. They're all part of the same long barrier island, but owned by different entities.

Hope you're able to make it down. Wear sunscreen!
Thanks a lot for the info! I later used the satellite images feature with Google Maps to zoom in on the beach and noticed the large building there, looks like a good place to take the family.

Yeah, I remember the first time we went to Corpus, we went to Corpus Christi bay, and I thought THAT was the Gulf of Mexico and thought, wow, this is it?? Lol.

We went to the beach near Freeport TX a few weeks ago for a family wedding, and though it was a beach, it wasn't too pretty. My girls had a blast though. So I've been thinking about taking them to the beach, just closer, and have liked what I've seen so far in pics and videos of the Corpus Christi beaches you mentioned. They look cleaner. We'll make sure to wear plenty of sunscreen! Learned our lesson two weeks ago...

Old 04-04-2012, 01:34 PM

484 posts, read 1,632,008 times
I think you will be quite pleased with Malaquite Beach, it is very peaceful, scenic, and not so trampled as the other beaches on Padre Island. The locals visit it, but the snowbirds rarely get that far off the beaten path. This time of year the sunsets are spectacular.

I'm pretty sure your little ones will have a great time playing in the gentle summer surf, (unless there is a storm, the gulf is usually quiet), it's windy right now but tolerable. You will probably see some quantities of seaweed on the beach, but that's normal. Careful searching along the water's edge will probably yield some interesting shells and maybe a few sand dollars, I'll bet your kids will be excited.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,897 times
I have driven down the beach several times, the full 65 miles to Mansfield channel on several occasions. The first time was in 78, when the likely hood of seeing another vehicle past the 4wheel drive only sign was slim to none. Now, it seems 7 out of 10 vehicles on the road are all wheel drive, it is not as lonely down there as it once was.

I have pulled 28foot fithwheel with either 16ft hobie or jeep trailer a couple times. I always include a good jack, portable air compressor, lumber and strips of siding cut 10 foot long for runners in case of getting stuck. The secret is once you start spinning and stop moving, stop spinning the wheels and make a change, either decrease air pressure in your tires or put something like sea weed, wet sand or boards under the tires and look for better traveling surface.

I always enjoy the trip and am planning to go back Oct this year.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Malaquite Beach area - Padre Island National Seashore
http://www.nps.gov/pais/faqs.htm

Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
I went around October of last year and was amazed at how nice the beach was considering the location since south padre is still maybe another 2 or 3 hours south.

For some reason I believe water gets a little clearer around the fall season but I'm sure year round it's nice. I recommend this place to all of my friends who want a nice beach without having to drive to either destin or s padre.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:22 PM

179 posts, read 247,379 times
Do no get stuck, tow trucks will chg up[ to 5,000 per caller-times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi