Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 01:30 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejamie View Post
Rust,
the best advice you could give me was your input from a patient's view on your hospital experience. <

Odd is it not . . .how consequential thoughts/decisions can be triggered by otherwise inconsequential data/observations that can reduce the vexatious to apercus. The third time in my life to type that unusual word.

<snip for ease of reading>

> Bone infections are one of the hardest to treat and heal from as you have learned.<

Did I mention, the Little Sisters of Misery subjected me to water torture? Yes, it's true! They threatened if I didn't keep on drinking their never ending glasses of ice water they were going to put me in an ice bath!!!
I was not concerned with dying or a hard death. I was very concerned that I had not planned for that and needed to put my things in order before leaving the planet. My concerns mostly concerned unpublished music. I could see the cultural vultures and musicologist circling over the hospital. Believe it or not, small vultures camped out in the winter, outside the plate-glass windows of the skywalk from MICU in one bldg, to the hyperbaric center on the first floor of the adjacent bldg. That was at Santa Rosa in San Antonio, TX. Hospital transportation, wheeled stretchers, I called journey gurneys . . . pushed me over that enclosed skywalk, round-trip, everyday. I think most folks, after those close calls and a long life are inclined to review and examine that life. A summing up so to speak. Having seen evil, close up and in the face sometimes in life, we sometimes become cynical. I knew I was surrounded by the good, the simple good, of those medical people. It's always a choice, and sometimes we see, no good deed goes unpunished. Such is life, c'est la vie.

>Does anyone have kids in school or been a student themselves at any of the schools? I have a to be sophomore daughter and to be 2nd grader son.
Yes. I spoke to another lifelong friend tonight. She was born and raised in CC. She and her husband bought a house in FB in the early 80's. If you recall, in the early 80's interest rates were something like 16%. It was the time of the savings and loan debacle. Note, a key figure, Charles Keating died today:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/bu...t-90.html?_r=0

Oil, that was speculated at $100.00 a barrel went to $11.00. CC was in crisis and everything in Houston was for sale, lease, or rent. . .figuratively speaking. I was on the other side of the world playing ultra-luxury hotel resorts, thanks to a man in Rockport and another in CC. Away from the cities on the bay and out of the frey.

Anyway, I spoke with her tonight. She's staying at a hotel next to Houston International airport. She is involved as the South Texas district manager for a new company due to open it's headquarters in CC next month. She's raised two children from Pre-K through trade school for one and college for her daughter. Her son was born postmature. His future was often discussed. He went to diesel mechanics trade school in Houston. He's a successful person, well liked, and has two children. She's one of those Grandmother's Gone Goo Goo. Her daughter went through nursing school at Stephen F. Austin college in East Texas.

I explained your last question and the tenor of the thread. I asked if she could explain the schools in FB and the real circumstances of living in the bluff in a phone call. She asked, "What's her area code?" Bear in mind, she is super busy (my words) and deeply engaged in budgets, hiring, and opening the new HQ office.
I asked, do you need a mechanic? She said they have outsourced fleet maintenance and repair. So then I asked, "Well what about a man in general for hot shotting? I was thinking if your husband had something, maybe even something below his skill level and had it maybe before you brought the family down it might be all to the good. You never know. I was just casting bread upon the waters . . . in my experience it sometimes comes back as buttered toast. She said, let me keep that in mind. She is not a highly sophisticated person but a dyed-in-the-wool, Texican. A Texican differs from a Texan. It's that Tex-I-Can
attitude.

I explained I needed to get back to you with this so you two could connect, should you want. If so, let me know an I'll pmail her name/ phone number or visa-versa whatever works. She'll be in Houston through Friday so it might be good to speak with her there after working hours. I'm sure she'll hit the ground running when she gets back to CC this weekend.

My history and particulars of Flour Bluff is long. I start from the building of the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station in 1939 and finish Part One, in 1981.6 when I left. Part 2, covers that time between my leaving for the South Pacific and Near East though my retirement on Sunday, 26 December 2004, the last time I played. It was marked by the Indian Ocean Christmas tsunami. I cover FB to the present although I no longer went there for more than a few days at a time. I prefered the area around Seadrift, it's surrounding bays and living above the everyday fray.

I'll send those documents in pmail. It's too long and maybe off-topic in parts for City-Drama. I only intend to make a single new topical post to this forum. That post will deal with a question many people have inquired about but has not been deeply addressed. The beaches and Padre Island, the keys to understanding when to go, why, and particulars. My observations and informations have appeared, by proxy, in old hunting and fishing magazines.

I realize these forums are mostly chit-chat and responses are often on the order of; That tells me just about as much as I would know about water, if you told me it was wet!

Btw, I found this interesting . . .particularly with CC. Of course, in FB you're a long way from refinery row
and the industrial side of town. I also note that big oil spill in Galveston is now rolling in CC and the local beaches.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i5/Crimes-Lead.html

I'm surprised nothing has been mentioned about the new wind farm project slated for the Chapman ranch, just south of FB.

Tomorrow night might be a good time to speak with Mrs. Texican. Let me know and I'll connect ya'll.

I'm including a brief prelude to Flour Bluff Part 1, here. So you can get a hint of scope and depth:

A quick city guide for Flour Bluff, TX.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

A little background and history of Flour Bluff

There are two ways to access North Padre Island:

1. Via Flour Bluff, TX on what is now called South Padre Island Drive (S.P.I.D) formerly known as Lexington Dr.

Or, some 25 miles to the north.

2. Via Aransas Pass, TX. where you must take an auto-ferry to access the island.

The Corpus Christi Naval Air Station (CCNS) was constructed approx. 1940. The main gate is located on the Flour Bluff side. When I was growing up there were lots of sailors stationed at the CCNS. The CCNS provided flight training for pilots in WW ll. Shortly after Pearl Harbor was attacked the population of naval personnel from sailors to pilots increased 100%. The bit'ness folks in downtown CC loved it . . .but not so much the sailors. The Corpus Christi Army Depot is also located on the CCNS. CCNC is a large, encompassing some 20,000 acres, as I recall. It is now the world's largest helicopter repair facility.

No different than many military installations across the country, a certain amount of flotsam and jetsam collected around the main gate in Flour Bluff. It always struck me as depressing with it's cheap, gaudy bars, pawn and tattoo shops, and cars parked outside the base for one reason or another . . .mostly because they were not allowed on the base. There were travel trailers, shoddy houses with retires who became locals, or as I heard it put, . .a refuge for military trash. This was mostly confined to that area adjacent to the gate side.

In Flour Bluff . . .we turn right!!!

Last edited by Yac; 04-08-2014 at 07:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 03:37 AM
Ton

5 posts, read 13,802 times
I haven't lived in Corpus for years. I know Spohn was the biggie hospital when I lived there. If I were you, I would investigate opportunities in the Rockport/Fulton Beach area. Quirky little place and a far cry from what Corpus has become. But if Corpus, because of the larger facilities floats your boat, then go for it. The schools are not spectacular, but they're more than adequate. There are developments out south of Flour Bluff that are pretty nice. Some on the water of the intercoastal. In terms of your husband finding a job at a dealership, Corpus is the way to go. He should have NO trouble. Regarding schools let me make this observation. I have seen kids in poor districts knock em dead academically. And kids in great districts fail utterly. If your kids are bright, motivated and you and your husband are involved, they'll do well wherever they go. In terms of sports, a great school can go belly-up with a coaching change. There are no guarantees. And ATTITUDE counts for more than we know. For you AND your kids.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 PM

11 posts, read 19,941 times
Wow, Rust!! Thank you so much for all the information!

I would love to speak with your friend. It would be great to hear what she has to say about FB schools. It would be a blessing if to have something lined out for my husband before moving down there this summer. Thank you so much.

You have lived and done so much in your lifetime. You really should share your life journeys and experiences in a book. You have amazing writing skills.

I have no desire to see or smell the refinery and industrial areas, glad to hear FB is not near that. I have the Caller Times app and KRIS news app on my phone and have been looking at the news everyday. It breaks my heart that the oil is making it to CC and the local beaches. It sounds like they are cleaning it up quickly, or as quickly as they can. I would like to add, that the crime has not even compared to what the Tulsa new has reported in the last week. We live in a good safe area of Tulsa but everyday this week there has been a shooting death in north Tulsa (the no go area).

How do we pmail each other. Is there an option on this site or do I give you my email address? Told you I was new to this

BTW, the vultures are unreal...

Old 04-03-2014, 07:07 PM

Ton,
Thank you for your advice. I am really leaning towards Spohn. Last night I read that CC memorial had union and nurses went on strike a few years ago. I have never worked where nursing needed the union....scary! You are right about the schools and that is where my attitude is shifting towards. It is what they and us put into it. We are involved parents. I have been room mother every year, even though I say I am not going to the next year, I still can't help myself I love doing it, just wish more parents would be more involved FB schools are actually ranked on several sites on the higher end and their test scores are higher than the other areas.

I do like the Rockport idea, but I think we are set on FB area.

Thanks again for your advice!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Wow, Rust!! Thank you so much for all the information!

I would love to speak with your friend. It would be great to hear what she has to say about FB schools. It would be a blessing if to have something lined out for my husband before moving down there this summer. Thank you so much.

You have lived and done so much in your lifetime. You really should share your life journeys and experiences in a book. You have amazing writing skills.

I have no desire to see or smell the refinery and industrial areas, glad to hear FB is not near that. I have the Caller Times app and KRIS news app on my phone and have been looking at the news everyday. It breaks my heart that the oil is making it to CC and the local beaches. It sounds like they are cleaning it up quickly, or as quickly as they can. I would like to add, that the crime has not even compared to what the Tulsa new has reported in the last week. We live in a good safe area of Tulsa but everyday this week there has been a shooting death in north Tulsa (the no go area).

How do we pmail each other. Is there an option on this site or do I give you my email address? Told you I was new to this

BTW, the vultures are unreal...

Hi,

Yes, I spoke with Ms. Texican late last night. She said Monday would be good. She'll be working from home all day. Look in the box on the upper right corner of your screen. See if you have anything in your Direct Message box. I sent one early this morning. She has a name/number for your husband to contact.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:44 PM

She's one of those Grandmother's Gone Goo Goo. Her daughter went through nursing school at Stephen F. Austin college in East Texas.<

Correction, her daughter was on a shadow program for PA. She said, after spending a few days in ER, THAT's too much standing on your feet all day. She's something ? marine biochemist. Keep in mind I was on the other side of the world for long periods. I sometimes didn't see them for years at a time. The only thing she talks about is her grandkids. . .she was 20 when I met her.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:49 PM

That's neat! I can see me being a goo goo grandma....but not for many years

My daughter wants to be a marine biologist.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
That's neat! I can see me being a goo goo grandma....but not for many years

My daughter wants to be a marine biologist.
(It appears parts 1 & 2 of "Flour Bluff History to Present" didn't go through. Too big for that format I guess.)

In that case, Corpus Christi, is about as good as it gets. . . up to post-grad work.

Who'Da Thunk It? So happens, well an awake Rust . . .can provide you with two contacts, one local, another, who now lives else where, but was in CC for years. They can unpack that world for her on the local area. Both of these guys are retired and the sort that are interested in young people who share their interest.

As happenstance and serendipity happen, by extension, your family in no time . . . will see much rejoicing among the Redfish. And the Flounders, the Speckled Sea Trout will cry out with glee. The two-pound golden Croaker . . . properly, Atlantic croaker, once the bison of the bays, will school upon your stringers as they pass on their fall migration. Delightful eating, the Silver and yellow Pompano, almost the perfect fish, it has no scales, has only large bones, with a very small pocket to clean, it’s frying-pan flat but don't fry it. . .the Pompano resents being fried. The blue crab, stone crab, right claw amputees only, the bay eel, and Mahi-Mahi (Golden Dorado) will jump in your pot for "soupe de poisson." With Bomba rice or pasta, maybe crusty peasant bread, a little fennel (if you like, I do) rusty looking aïoli with saffron and peppers. It's pungently warm, briny, the taste of the gulf at it's very best, imnsho.

Sadly, CC has never really excelled with seafood. There were a few places that were good but found wanting compared to Galveston, Kemah, Houston, and Beaumont. Those that can, do it at home. In Flour Bluff, from just about anywhere you can be on the grass flats in shallow water in 20 minutes or less. With two shrimp push nets a family of four can catch enough shrimp/fish for a good dinner. In winter, the best fishing, you can also put duck on the menu.

In marine biology you want a masters. An undergraduate degree only qualifies you to change light bulbs at the power plant. Had a friend with a masters in oceanography. He moved to CC from the Hood Canal, Washington, in order to wind surf every day. They would be in the field, the water. taking samples, sometimes a week at a time. At other times it was 9 to 5 in the office and off weekends, he loved it.

Btw, I skipped a number of seafood items but not let me forget the Texas Painted River Prawn, Macrobrachium carcinus. These prawn get up to two pounds each. We would catch and dump them in a 5th. or two of wine, alive. They will live for awhile in the wine and seem to leave the planet happy. We grill them over a "real" charcoal fire basted with butter. We used to catch these at night and scare the bejesus out of each other in the dark. https://www.flickr.com/photos/dad_and_clint/3791379440/

Great nearby family oriented state parks and historic sites:

Macrobrachium carcinus - Google Search

Here, in Old Lamar . . .part of Goose Island State Park, is Texas oldest tree. It's said to be 2,000 year old. A Texas Coastal Live Oak. Twenty minutes north of Rockport.

Last time I was at Goose Island State Park, I drove down from my place to meet up with two families. I arrived about 7:30 AM, just when the kids found a family of racoons sleeping in the back of their pickup.
The 'coons had raided one of their large ice chest for three, 18 pack, egg cartons. The 'coon were in a coma, fast asleep, and didn't want to get up and leave. There were 8 kids loving chili dogs and fire roasted roasted marshmallows for breakfast:

Macrobrachium carcinus - Google Search

Old 04-05-2014, 03:10 PM

That would be amazing. She wants to study and save sharks. She also is fascinated with oceanography. She still has a few years to change her mind a thousand times but the sea life has always been her fascination. I look forward to learning all the new sea life that we will be exposed to, will be a different world from muddy lakes here. Great pic of the Pawn and we only do "real" grilling Taste does not compare!

Goose Island looks neat and fun!

We had coons get into our camping stuff one night while were camping on the elk river for a float trip. Luckily they only got into some oats that I had brought to attempt to make no bake cookies over the camp fire with the kids. They are ornery creatures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi