Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:49 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 481,166 times

Advertisements

That's unfortunate. It is the major industry in CC, and they are where they are because of the ship channel. I've driven into many towns through the industrial area....it's just a fact of life, we need industry! I'm surprised that (apparently) so many people let the presence of an industrial area color their impressions of a place, when that is only one aspect of the place. Oh well.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
SOM you just don't get it! Fenderman represents many who visited CC. Some of those people have money, some want to retire, some want to start a business, some are educated enough to understand the effects of these chemicals ( an entire neighborhood has been contaminated and now we have to pay for cleanup -we meaning gainfully employed people so you may not be included). Instead of moving here and creating jobs .. go ahead and read his post again (until you get the point).

SOM have you heard of a place called Rockport? Same climate, same geography, same coastline. look it up on a map.
Rockport doesn't allow polluting industry. Yet for the past 20 years its been growing at many times the rate of CC. So much for needing polluting industry.

Rockport residents are more educated than those in CC -they realize just having a clean environment attracts people and clean business. This shows up in the schools - as ACISD is better than CCISD at every grade level. Get the connection yet? Better educated people care more about schools.

Finally Rockport has much less crime than CC and no organized gangs even proportionally. Refineries attract the lower class lower educated people- so are you surprised the kids are having kids and gangs flourish. ACISD reported 1 pregnancy in the last school year. Compare that to CC schools some of which have daycare.

SOM before you write try to see the BIG picture. Just try.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
SOM you just don't get it!....have you heard of a place called Rockport?....its been growing at many times the rate of CC....
I will plead ignorance before I even post. I know nothing much about either school district. But good grief - CCISD has over 10 times the enrollment of ACISD. If one were to read this post, you would think Corpus Christi is withering in the shadow of Rockport. In actuality, the enrollment of students in both districts is somewhat declining.

There is probably not a city the general size of Corpus in our nation - for which you could not find a bedroom community and make some of the same generalizations...

"XXX has all the problems...and YYY is a better place to live."

Even still - much of the livelihood of YYY still depends on XXX.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:27 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I will plead ignorance before I even post. I know nothing much about either school district. But good grief - CCISD has over 10 times the enrollment of ACISD. If one were to read this post, you would think Corpus Christi is withering in the shadow of Rockport. In actuality, the enrollment of students in both districts is somewhat declining.

There is probably not a city the general size of Corpus in our nation - for which you could not find a bedroom community and make some of the same generalizations...

"XXX has all the problems...and YYY is a better place to live."

Even still - much of the livelihood of YYY still depends on XXX.
You're exactly right. It's like comparing Brenham and Houston. They're in the same general area, but other than that it's apples and oranges.

The refineries aren't pretty and they don't smell good. But they're a mainstay of the Corpus Christi economy. Without them CC wouldn't exist and Rockport probably wouldn't either.

If you drive a car, you're a customer of the refineries and are enjoying their product. It's an unfortunate fact of life.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:40 PM
SOM

Quote:
SOM you just don't get it! Fenderman represents many who visited CC. Some of those people have money, some want to retire, some want to start a business, some are educated enough to understand the effects of these chemicals ( an entire neighborhood has been contaminated and now we have to pay for cleanup -we meaning gainfully employed people so you may not be included). Instead of moving here and creating jobs .. go ahead and read his post again (until you get the point).

SOM have you heard of a place called Rockport? Same climate, same geography, same coastline. look it up on a map.
Rockport doesn't allow polluting industry. Yet for the past 20 years its been growing at many times the rate of CC. So much for needing polluting industry.

Rockport residents are more educated than those in CC -they realize just having a clean environment attracts people and clean business. This shows up in the schools - as ACISD is better than CCISD at every grade level. Get the connection yet? Better educated people care more about schools.

Finally Rockport has much less crime than CC and no organized gangs even proportionally. Refineries attract the lower class lower educated people- so are you surprised the kids are having kids and gangs flourish. ACISD reported 1 pregnancy in the last school year. Compare that to CC schools some of which have daycare.

SOM before you write try to see the BIG picture. Just try.
Good lord, where do I begin???

As others said, comparing Rockport and CC is ludicrous. It's not even apples to oranges, it's watermelons to peanuts. Not gonna waste any more time typing on that point!

As to "we meaning gainfully employed people so you may not be included"...what's with the attack? Didn't I already say that I work at a refinery? (And also said to tke that into account when I offer opinions about the refineries....shooting for transparency here!). Not quite sure what you were getting at, other than a misguided and unnecessary ad-hominum attack.

I "get the point".....some people are turned off by refineries (and presumably industry in general). And I already stated that the refineries have caused environmental problems, but also stated that EH&S has become a primary focus, and improvements have been made.

What I don't *agree* with is cursing refineries AS YOU DRIVE PAST THEM IN YOUR CAR. I don't *agree* with it, but I do "get" it. See the difference?

I'm all for clean fuels, and would welcome the day when the world runs on solar or whatever. But we're not there, we won't get there overnight, so - like it or not - the refineries currently fill a need that we all share.

Don't like 'em? Fine, don't live near 'em. If the presence of refineries holds CC back in some ways, that's too bad. However, it would damage the city more to just shut 'em down (and the overall economy as well....remember gas prices after Katrina?). And it is ridiculous to blame the refineries for everything from poor schools to crime! Sounds like a personal problem.

Last edited by SOM; 10-29-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 08:54 PM

Watchful and Marlow - Rockport is not a suburb of Corpus, however if you need an example El Paso has better schools than some of its suburbs. Very few people in Rockport even go to work in Corpus.

Its easy to say "Don't live by them" Unfortunately its too late for the people of Hillside and other close-in areas. They already have high incidence of chemicals in their blood and the land is contaminated. There would be much more of a fuss but those are poor minority neighborhoods.

Right SOM if they don't like living near the refineries why not move them over to Ocean Drive. As you have received money from the refineries, perhaps you'll fund them.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:01 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Dude ocean... What is your deal with you putting down CC and promoting Rockport? THAT IS ALL YOU TALK ABOUT. ITS GETTING ANNOYING. Its not that great and its pretty boring. It has like 5,000 people... CC has 300,000. There is no comparison. Rockport wouldn't exist if CC wasn't within 50 miles from it.

Not only that, with a small town of 5,000 people its not very hard to be "green" about everything, because there is hardly anything to be "green" about. Calallen, Flour Bluff, and Tuloso are all better school districts than Rockport. All 3 are in Corpus. Right across the bridge is GP and they have a better school district too.

Yes CC is not much of a "Sparkling City by the Bay", but neither is Rockport. By the way, read the thread's title. It says "Corpus I see your beauty and potential". There is nothing about Rockport in there, or in about 90% of the other threads you decide to brag about Rockport on.

All of this bickering and putting down CC is the reason why I hardly visit these boards anymore. Its ridiculous.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:10 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Quote:
SOM how many times have the refineries been cited and fined for chemicals? I dare you to live in that north area where the land is contaminated. After all if the refineries don't bother you, why not buy a bargain.

Bb54321 New Orleans is one of the most famous cities in the world, noted for its music, its french influence and its historic buildings. You may go "umm or better yet Duh" if you really didn' t know that. One other very simple point that escaped you - despite all this New Orleans hasn't been growing. Its gaining some Katrina people back but overall the city hasnt grown much in 20 years. Great point though! (not)
NOLA is booming now

Old 10-30-2009, 07:04 AM
SOM

Quote:
Right SOM if they don't like living near the refineries why not move them over to Ocean Drive. As you have received money from the refineries, perhaps you'll fund them.
The rules of this forum prevent me from responding as I would like to!

What I *will* say is that I prefer to live in the land of the real, as opposed to some la-la land where refineries can be moved or eliminated.

Have fun in Rockport, and get rid of your car!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:01 PM

Corpus not only is realizing little of its potential but see the caller-times every post about Corpus is negative from those who live here. Gabe I have pointed out many times you make up statistics. Aransas County has 25,000 people with Rockport having a bit over 10,000. Its like if you claimed you had 100 IQ but only had 50.

The TEA has the "facts" on the schools CCISD is barely "acceptable" ACISD is "Recognized " and only 34 students away from exemplary. Ratings are not biased towards the size of the districts excep that districts without high schools have an advantage as high schools are the hardest to achieve "exemplary"

Fact Aransas County is growing at 3X or $ times the rate of Nueces County however there are over 40 small counties that are LOSING population. Gabe is it either you are not smart enough to find and read the numbers or do you like like being dishonest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi