Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times

Advertisements

It is not a complicated operation, you simply dispatch another ship to the sight and disembark the passengers and bring them home. It is although expensive and it is clear that Carnival does not think that the safety and the comfort of their customers merit that kind of expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,623,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I've always wondered...can't a couple of ships go out empty and tender passengers on?

I've been on ships. but I've always wondered about that. Is that possible?

I mean ships are docked right smack next to each other on shore. No not sailing right now ships can't go and stop within distance an shuttle passengers off? Hell get close enough for them to jump across?

I'd imagine that would be hectic but it's gotta be a hell of a lot better than sitting on a non moving ship for days. I'd think passengers would stand/sit in line for 8+ hours for that. Just bring ID and passports and electronics and stuff and when the ship gets tugged back get your luggage.

Are there no cargo ships in the area that could render assistance? What about evacuation by helicopter?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
If they could tender boats out to bring supplies then they surely could tender all those people into the port and either put them up in hotels or better yet arrange to fly them home. Sitting out there dead in the water for days with no plumbing and probably lousy food and then having to sleep on deck to keep cool has to be the pits.
Read more about it: Stranded cruise passengers facing dirty conditions

Where is the US Coast Guard?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 AM

21,628 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
My mother is always fussing about how wonderful cruises are and how I should try them, after seeing cruise disasters on the news, I say to her NOT.
Do you stop driving because of car accidents?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It is not a complicated operation, you simply dispatch another ship to the sight and disembark the passengers and bring them home. It is although expensive and it is clear that Carnival does not think that the safety and the comfort of their customers merit that kind of expense.
It isnt safe which is why they havent tried it nor will they consider it. The disabled Triumph has NO stabilizers and is subject to rough seas. It has reported listing for cripes sake, how can you expect to get passengers off a ship when it is listing? If it docks next to another ship, it will not have stability and Carnival will not take chances in having a passenger accidentally fall off and tumble into the sea. It wont happen, and the Truimph is just too big of a ship to attempt this type of tender attempt.

I have cruised on Royal Caribbean and this incident only confirms my belief not to consider Carnival, the Walmart of cruise lines, for any future cruise. That ship right now is basically a floating petri dish. No thanks.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
I think this whole mess must be a terrible experience for all these passengers and crewmembers. Cruising at 1MPH in all the filth and lack of food the news has been reporting. People sleeping in hallways and on deck.

What many don't seem to realize though. These cruises go everyday from somewhere. A whole lot of them and yet there really are not that many incidents that happen. So I guess you can look at both ways. Yes its terrible but thankfully it rarely happens. I guess telling that to a passenger on this ship right now wouldn't matter one bit. Can't say I would blame them. I would not want to be on that ship. I'm not into cruises anyway, so no chance of me being on one.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM

861 posts, read 1,250,055 times
It's kinda weird when folks opt for the Balcony Option "just in case". If that's whet cruising has come to, I don't want any part of it.

Even stranger, Carnival offered all passengers a full refund and voucher for another Carnival trip. I think for most passengers, giving Carnival another shot is the last thing they'd consider. I think I heard on this morning's news that Carnival is topping that offer with a additional $500. Big whoop.

I suppose we're going to see more and more of these cruise ship disasters, as there are more on the seas than ever before. It's just a matter of odds.

Carnival should partner with a airline, such as American, and offer a 1-2k voucher for every passenger. I hadn't thought about this until now, but I'll bet there's something in the ticket language ("contract") that prohibits passengers from suing in events such as this. Buyer Beware.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM

861 posts, read 1,250,055 times
Talking Carnival Vouchers for Sale on eBay

Well, not quite yet. But just wait... a lot of those folks onboard that ship will never cruise again- or at least with Carnival.

So get ready for a good deal. And it you get a voucher on the cheap and find yourself packing for a voyage at sea, remember to pack the following: Lysol, gas mask, protein bars, water, porta potty, plunger and inflatable raft.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Why don't they use the lifeboats to get the passengers to Mobile?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
It isnt safe which is why they havent tried it nor will they consider it. The disabled Triumph has NO stabilizers and is subject to rough seas. It has reported listing for cripes sake, how can you expect to get passengers off a ship when it is listing? If it docks next to another ship, it will not have stability and Carnival will not take chances in having a passenger accidentally fall off and tumble into the sea. It wont happen, and the Truimph is just too big of a ship to attempt this type of tender attempt.

I have cruised on Royal Caribbean and this incident only confirms my belief not to consider Carnival, the Walmart of cruise lines, for any future cruise. That ship right now is basically a floating petri dish. No thanks.
Neither option is completely safe; the question is which is safer. There has been a nothing reported that I know of concerning rough seas, and the listing problem is a matter of degrees. How much exactly is the ship listing?
If it is a considerable amount then the passengers are at risk of falling off decks and stairwells. If it is a minimal amount it will not affect tendering. Cruise ships routinely tender the majority of passengers to and from ports where docking is not available, providing they are not in rough water tendering with proper precautions is not any more dangerous than feeding them in an environment contaminated with feces.
Another expensive but feasible option would be to tender by helicopter as cruise ships have helicopter pads. This would be a good option for the elderly and people with medical conditions which may be at extreme risk to bacterial infection.
The real issue is not that it is not possible to get these people off the ship; it is what it would cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises