Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually I agree and yet disagree with you.. You are right, there are those who wipe out everything just for a few weeks in Europe or a cruise, whatever. They have no extra funds and should be planning a less expensive vacation but I also do think everyone who works does deserve a vacation, be it a camping trip, a few days at the beach or money allowing a month touring So America, whatever. We can not be expected to spend our lives behind a desk or building houses. We all need a break..
I agree, but that break can be taken sitting at home sipping iced tea on the deck and reading a novel checked out of the library. No one is entitled to a vacation that has a price tag attached to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
oh for heavens sake, no one is talking about not saving for the future or not having reserves, we are talking about $25,000 or more to be air lifted and your saying, if you can't afford that you should not take a vacation...Your comments are pretty illogical in my view. That is why we do take insurance, and it is not all that expensive if you think of the alternatives.
Yes, and I agree that travel insurance is an option, but I agree with many financial advisors that a person should have at least 8 months liquid just in case of an emergency. It takes a long time for most to get a job today, in case they are laid off. We are no longer living in the good old days of our parents. Yes, I think people should be very careful with their money and not live beyond their means.

There are many people who are older and travel a lot and enjoy life. It's a better alternative to being in your thirties and having lost a job, perhaps in print media, and cannot find a new one or support your family.

I know people who have gone through calamities without a proper cushion. You guys can laugh at me all you like, but it ain't purty - and heaven forbid you lose your job while in your late forties or fifties. Good luck with that. I wish that on no one.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Given the financial risks involved without it, I think it's very affordable.

I want to think we paid about $800 for the two of us for a $20K, three week vacation last summer. Well worth the peace of mind.
Thanks.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
actually I agree and yet disagree with you.. You are right, there are those who wipe out everything just for a few weeks in Europe or a cruise, whatever. They have no extra funds and should be planning a less expensive vacation but I also do think everyone who works does deserve a vacation, be it a camping trip, a few days at the beach or money allowing a month touring So America, whatever. We can not be expected to spend our lives behind a desk or building houses. We all need a break..

So, though we should not go into debt for a vacation we should take them, in some form annually. And of course, those of us who are seasoned travelers know how important insurance is...Those who want to gamble, well, they are the ones we hope do have enough saved to bail them out if something happens.
Well, that's all I'm saying, isn't it? Don't gamble with your future or that of your loved ones. Take care of the basics before paying for superfluous things.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
I agree, but that break can be taken sitting at home sipping iced tea on the deck and reading a novel checked out of the library. No one is entitled to a vacation that has a price tag attached to it.
and that I agree with.. I still think most of those who vacation can afford it and when someone says unless you have thousands of $$ set aside to cover an emergency like being air lifted you have no right to travel I say they are living in another world and do not understand the typical middle class. Like you and I have said, that is why we have travel insurance. What he is saying is similar to someone saying, if you can not afford to rebuild you home in case of a natural disaster you shouldn't own a home. Get real!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
and that I agree with.. I still think most of those who vacation can afford it and when someone says unless you have thousands of $$ set aside to cover an emergency like being air lifted you have no right to travel I say they are living in another world and do not understand the typical middle class. Like you and I have said, that is why we have travel insurance. What he is saying is similar to someone saying, if you can not afford to rebuild you home in case of a natural disaster you shouldn't own a home. Get real!!!
Take both items away from our typical middle class family. To be sure, they would miss the home more than the vacation. Security comes first. Save to make sure the essentials are covered before doing what is essentially unnecessary.

When we are but children, we are usually taught the difference between wants and needs. We all need shelter. We do not NEED vacations. We provide shelter as best we can and, yes, there are many people in the middle class who DO have two homes.

There have always been people who believe that having a nest egg, preparing for the future and having a little set aside for emergencies, was the way to live; superfluous things were always secondary. After our financial problems in this country, there are a great many more of them. If you lose your job and then your house because you can't pay the mortgage all those cruises and trips are going to seem pretty foolish to you. This IS some people's reality, which is why we are all advised to be sure that we have enough resources to cover such situations before spending on things like vacations, expensive cars, etc.

Almost any topic is up for discussion today but finances. People will divulge their sex lives to you before their financial situation. This is unfortunate because their very lives could now depend on how much they save and how well they invest. It, to me, is the height of foolishness to have a source of income and to just blow it away, taking for granted that it will always be there. In today's rapidly changing world, it very easily may not be.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I know people who have gone through calamities without a proper cushion. You guys can laugh at me all you like, but it ain't purty - and heaven forbid you lose your job while in your late forties or fifties. Good luck with that. I wish that on no one.
As long as you aren't some old doddy and have sharp skills, age won't matter. I've gone through two unplanned job changes in the past six years (I'm in my 50's) and was never out of work for more than a couple of months. I am in shape (work out 1-3 hours a day), keep my appearance up--well kept hair and skin--and dress in a youthful yet age appropriate style. I look 10 years younger than I am. It takes a lot of work, but the work has obviously paid off.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
As long as you aren't some old doddy and have sharp skills, age won't matter. I've gone through two unplanned job changes in the past six years (I'm in my 50's) and was never out of work for more than a couple of months. I am in shape (work out 1-3 hours a day), keep my appearance up--well kept hair and skin--and dress in a youthful yet age appropriate style. I look 10 years younger than I am. It takes a lot of work, but the work has obviously paid off.
Good for you.
There are lots of people in their 40's who cannot find work. My every post is warning that you really don't know what the future will bring, if you will become ill, etc. All I am doing is to advise people to save and make sure that they have a buffer for the problems that life tends to throw at each of us before spending thousands on what is really superfluous.

I know guys who were in IT who are now operating bagel shops and have become headhunters. Not everyone, evidently, has your good looks and powers of persuasion.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Good for you.
There are lots of people in their 40's who cannot find work. My every post is warning that you really don't know what the future will bring, if you will become ill, etc. All I am doing is to advise people to save and make sure that they have a buffer for the problems that life tends to throw at each of us before spending thousands on what is really superfluous.

I know guys who were in IT who are now operating bagel shops and have become headhunters. Not everyone, evidently, has your good looks and powers of persuasion.
Of course people need to have savings. But the woe is me attitude from people who "can't find jobs" cracks me up--particularly with mainframe people who should have seen the end coming years ago and learned other I/T skills. Coders with crack skills are still commanding top dollar. My husband gets recruiter calls every week.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Of course people need to have savings. But the woe is me attitude from people who "can't find jobs" cracks me up--particularly with mainframe people who should have seen the end coming years ago and learned other I/T skills. Coders with crack skills are still commanding top dollar. My husband gets recruiter calls every week.
Of course, but nobody's is arguing that there are not successful people. The unwashed majority are NOT in such a sweet position. They are the ones who really need to be saving and not take vacations until they have a considerable amount.

We are talking here about the average vacation goer who is not as fortunate as you and your husband. Most are not in such a privileged position. Maybe you've lost touch with the average Joe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises