Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times

Advertisements

It sounds like the OP is likely on this cruise as I type this. Hopefully they come back and update this thread!

Old 08-26-2016, 01:58 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,901,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It sounds like the OP is likely on this cruise as I type this. Hopefully they come back and update this thread!
I'll give an update. The cruise departs Monday afternoon, but it looks like it will be storming/raining for most of the cruise.

Actually, as long as the ocean is not rough, I probably won't mind too much. I think I'll be happy just relaxing with no work to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 02:45 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'll give an update. The cruise departs Monday afternoon, but it looks like it will be storming/raining for most of the cruise.

Actually, as long as the ocean is not rough, I probably won't mind too much. I think I'll be happy just relaxing with no work to do!

You might be okay. Often in that part of the world it rains for an hour and it's done. I hope it's not a complete washout!

I've never had any interest in cruising myself, but I find it interesting to read other people's experiences, especially when they are doing something like that for the first time

Old 08-26-2016, 03:41 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
That is why a cruise is so good when work is long and hard. You decide what you want to do, sleep, eat, go to shows, etc.

We used to go to the library, get a book and a coffee, and relax for a couple of hours each morning. It was lovely. Lots of both quiet and busy places on a cruise ship.

Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic is a great place to get more info and maybe find others going on your cruise. They often have meetups on board.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
That is why a cruise is so good when work is long and hard. You decide what you want to do, sleep, eat, go to shows, etc.

We used to go to the library, get a book and a coffee, and relax for a couple of hours each morning. It was lovely. Lots of both quiet and busy places on a cruise ship.

Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic is a great place to get more info and maybe find others going on your cruise. They often have meetups on board.
Thanks, I did use that website a lot and they are the reason I decided on this cruise. They praised it and the reviews were great. I'll be on the ship in about 4 hours!

Old 08-29-2016, 11:29 AM

I'm at the port, checked in, waiting to get on the ship since the bridge that connects the ship and port broke somehow. But the ship doesn't depart until 4 anyway.

Since I'm waiting and bored I'll write a short post.
Trip has been off to a rocky start. We drove down here from the KC area, stopped at lookout mountain on the Tennessee/Georgia border, that was really cool. Stopped at Kennedy Space Center, that was awesome, pretty expensive, but I knew the price beforehand, so that was okay.

Miami has been a little disappointing, but our hotel on "mid Miami beach" was cool and being close to the other was neat. He ate at Puerto Sagua last night and it was delicious.

Will post more later, boarding now.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:27 AM

Well, we just got done with the cruise, actually, I'm still on the ship, but not much to do this morning before we unload, so I figured now it a good time to write a review.. Overall I would give the cruise a B-.

The weather was good, when the clouds departed it would get way too hot though. It rained just a few hours the day we departed and was cloudy the whole trip, which probably kept the temperature down 10 degrees. If it was completely sunny the whole time, that could have ruined the trip, so for future reference we won't cruise in late summer again since we just got lucky it was cloudy.

The Bahamas were disappointing, but CoCo Cay was neat. Nassau was very disappointing, I wouldn't get off the ship next time. Unless one plans on going to Atlantis. I'd give Nassau a D. CoCo Cay can get a B. Key West gets a C, wasn't a big fan of there either, but it was much cleaner and peaceful then Nassau.

The ship was decent, it's obvious the Enchantment of the Seas is a older ship, but most of the crew was great and plenty of entertainment on the ship. The food was good, I would skip the sit down dinner meal next time as it takes close to 2 hours and is during the peak entertainment time. I give the food an A, service a B. Ship entertainment a B.

We did a 4 night cruise and I felt the amount of time was good. Less then 4 nights would be too little time. The first day and night isn't very fun as you will be unpacking and fighting the crowds at the buffet and doing the mandatory safety drill. But I imagine all cruises are similar. Next time I would probably do a 6-7 night cruise on a different ship.

I would recommend cruising after this experience, but I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone. I wouldn't recommend going to the Bahamas, not sure if I would recommend the Enchantment of the Seas either, and I wouldn't recommend going to the Caribbean at the end of the summer. That said, I did enjoy the trip and see the appeal of cruising. A cruise with better destinations and better weather would be awesome. We will go on another cruise, but probably to the Mediterranean next time.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:02 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
Be sure to get a handle on all the extras. You will have tips added to your bill at the end of the cruise. You will not tip each person during the cruise. Also be careful of drinks. You can take some wine on board. Check the rules, they do check your luggage.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:59 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
So my wife and I, along with my mother-in-law and father-in-law, will be going on a cruise this year, it's a vacation for us, and a gift for them. We've pretty much already decided on a Carnival cruise, but aren't 100% set on anything. We are mostly choosing Carnival because of the prices. There are 2 ships we are mostly looking at, the Breeze and Victory, how do these two ships compare, or are other ships recommended? Due to our budget, our itinerary probably won't be great either. We will be doing a 4 or 5 day cruise. We are self-employed, so that's about the maximum amount of time we can be away.

Because of our personal schedules we can only go between June and the end of August. The first thing I really worry about is the temperature, I've never been to the Caribbean or anywhere tropical really. What are your opinions on a cruise during the summer time?
Carnival may affect your future opinion of cruising negatively. Every time I hear someone say they went on a cruise and didn't like it, it was Carnival and the cruise was a contest prize. Carnival caters to the young partiers with little money, and way too many kids. Cruising isn't for those on a tight budget.
Royal Caribbean/Celebrity can't be beat IMO. Their ships are breathtaking and the most innovative.
Of course I'll be corrected on this!

Just saw the OP post date. Oh well!

Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Carnival may affect your future opinion of cruising negatively. Every time I hear someone say they went on a cruise and didn't like it, it was Carnival and the cruise was a contest prize. Carnival caters to the young partiers with little money, and way too many kids. Cruising isn't for those on a tight budget.
Royal Caribbean/Celebrity can't be beat IMO. Their ships are breathtaking and the most innovative.
Of course I'll be corrected on this!

Just saw the OP post date. Oh well!
I've heard Carnival referred to as "the Motel 6 of the seas" I've been on two Carnival cruises... my first was a three-day from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, and there were a lot of younger people, some puking from drinking too much, etc. Another was Seattle to Alaska, and it was an older crowd and a very nice cruise! Most recently, we did a Royal Caribbean from San Juan PR along the southern Caribbean. There were plenty of "bros" on board, but lots of really nice people too.

It's the itinerary that drives the crowd more than the line. At least until you get out of the competitive cruise lines and into something like Paul Gaugin that most people (especially young kids who want to party) can't afford. It is what you make of it... if your dinner seating is at a table full of people you don't want to hang with, ask the maître d' to move you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises