Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:10 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I, along with my mother-in-law and father-in-law, will be going on a cruise this year, it's a vacation for us, and a gift for them. We've pretty much already decided on a Carnival cruise, but aren't 100% set on anything. We are mostly choosing Carnival because of the prices. There are 2 ships we are mostly looking at, the Breeze and Victory, how do these two ships compare, or are other ships recommended? Due to our budget, our itinerary probably won't be great either. We will be doing a 4 or 5 day cruise. We are self-employed, so that's about the maximum amount of time we can be away.

Because of our personal schedules we can only go between June and the end of August. The first thing I really worry about is the temperature, I've never been to the Caribbean or anywhere tropical really. What are your opinions on a cruise during the summer time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 03:28 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
I've used Royal Caribbean only. I would think you should be able to check Carnival cruise's website in order to compare ships. I would also think that depending on what port a particular ship departs from will determine your cost. If it were me I would choose the June trip, August its going to be a steamer, very hot. I could be wrong but the impression I have with Carnival cruise lines is that its more of a party ship line, not that there's anything wrong with that but your in-laws might find it a bit loud or roudy, again I could be wrong.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:30 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
I have only been on two cruises, never Carnival, but I have spent a lot of time in the Caribbean. I have a friend who is taking a Caribbean cruise in September and he is getting an inside cabin. While he doesn't need to save money, he felt that since he would be outside, whether on deck or out sightseeing, there was no need to spend money on another option. I am not sure about that.

The Caribbean is hot in the summer, but I go every year and I like warm weather. I have never found that it is any hotter nor more humid than the mid-Atlantic or southern areas. The temps in SXM are usually in the mid-80's.

Don't take any drinks that they offer as a welcome when you get on the ship unless you just want the experience or have purchased the drink package. It is not free. They will take pictures but you do not have to purchase them. I am not big on eating in the dining room--the buffet is perfect for us. However, if you want to eat at any of the specialty restaurants, make your reservations while you are still at home. Might be the same for tours.

I can only speak for Royal Caribbean, but I found that the first night has specials like massages, which I enjoy. Also, while the ship is in port is a good time for things like that for the special pricing.

If you let us know the itinerary, we probably can help with tour advice, etc.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:48 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Try Best Cruise Ships for Entertainment: 2016 Cruisers' Choice Awards - Cruise Critic

Carnival is ok.
I would avoid Royal Cambrian.
Look at Holland America but might be more exp.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:36 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
So my wife and I, along with my mother-in-law and father-in-law, will be going on a cruise this year, it's a vacation for us, and a gift for them. We've pretty much already decided on a Carnival cruise, but aren't 100% set on anything. We are mostly choosing Carnival because of the prices.
Keep in mind that many other people are as well. Carnival has a reputation for (how shall I say?) rowdier cruises in the Caribbean than other cruise lines, seemingly driven specifically by this aspects. I haven't cruised Carnival (for that reason) but have been tracking the matter on Cruise Critic for about 20 years and my impression is that the difference is decreasing. We're now seriously considering keeping our eye on last minute deals on Carnival in the future, ready for perhaps a lesser experience than more expensive cruise lines (let's be clear - no one is getting a "deal" - a lower cost cruise is, generally speaking, a lower quality cruise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Because of our personal schedules we can only go between June and the end of August.
Hurricane season. No thanks.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 AM

509 posts, read 554,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I've used Royal Caribbean only. I would think you should be able to check Carnival cruise's website in order to compare ships. I would also think that depending on what port a particular ship departs from will determine your cost. If it were me I would choose the June trip, August its going to be a steamer, very hot. I could be wrong but the impression I have with Carnival cruise lines is that its more of a party ship line, not that there's anything wrong with that but your in-laws might find it a bit loud or roudy, again I could be wrong.
Yes, you are wrong. The stories about Carnival being nothing but drunks started 2 decades ago and are not realistic to the Carnival of 2016. Cruises in summer that are under 5 days in length do tend to lead to more of the "party" sort, but this is true across almost all cruise lines.

It is a great cruise line for families of all ages. I would take the Breeze and/or 5+ day cruise.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:25 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
While June through August is considered hurricane season, I have travelled to SXM for over 25 years, primarily from July to September 1, and have never been in a hurricane. That is not to say that this year will not be different, but I would not be concerned about the weather. If you are truly concerned, go earlier in June.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
OP, you'll b fine. I personally like Carnival and I think you'll have a great time if you aren't a snob.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:31 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Not that you asked but....

Don't forget to bring an alarm clock.. You can't count on your cell phone because at some point in your ocean voyage your cell phone is going to die and they don't usually have clocks in the room.

I can't help with your question about timing though. We went during the winter.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:26 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,094 times
It's too bad you have to go during that time frame. Summer is when cruise prices are at their peak.

We did three cruises on Royal Caribbean before we decided to try out Carnival. We have now been on Carnival four times. The food and entertainment options are mostly pretty comparable. We've stuck with Carnival because we're into karaoke, and Carnival has it available more nights than RC does.

As for the heat, the Caribbean is pretty hot year-round, so I'm not sure that'll make any difference. We've been on several cruises in July (didn't like the pricing, but since our anniversary falls in July, what can you do?), and we also did an Oct, Nov, and Dec cruise. Since we live in FL, we are used to those temps. I don't know where you live, so I don't know what you'd consider mildly hot, very hot, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises