Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 AM

37 posts, read 124,476 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about going on my first cruise, any pointers or suggestions as to which company to look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModChic View Post
I'm thinking about going on my first cruise, any pointers or suggestions as to which company to look into?
Probably need to be more specific-where do you intend to go, what do you like to do (excursions or just shop?) age range of people going, budget, level of formality, etc.
These days many cruises are directed at specific interests-sailing, adventure, fitness, singles, even Nascar and country music. Some require additional money to eat in the nicer dining rooms, others don't. Any info you can give will help!

Old 04-01-2009, 05:49 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModChic View Post
I'll throw these three out in no particular order as being generally rated good value for the money and provide a bit more in the way of extravagance than the budget lines (Carnival & NCL).

Princess
Royal Caribbean
Holland American

Celebrity Cruise Lines recent reputation has slipped a bit and appears to be moving closer to the main pack and generally is more expensive.

Carnival generally attracts the younger crowd of these six, with Holland America perhaps the oldest. Depends somewhat on where you'd like to go but they all seem to have somewhat unique characteristics across-the-board.

European cruises seem to be offering the best value at this time. Caribbean cruises tend to be the least expensive per day. Alaskan Cruises tend to be the most expensive because of the demand and short sailing season. There are also many other itineraries such as Panama Canal and Pacific Mexico that are available.

If you are willing to have an inside cabin (no view) you can book a cruise for less than $100/day pp. We are booked on a RT Hawaiian cruise from LA this winter with a balcony cabin for about $180/day pp.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Cruises are SO varied these days that your best bet is to get brochures and info on everything that looks interesting and then sift through to narrow down the best fits for you. CRUISE.COM - Cruise discounts, cruise deals and discount cruise vacations from the web's largest seller of discount cruises is a good source on pricing and you can google for several cruise-specific forums for feedback. I used to be quite a regular cruiser and thoroughly enjoyed myself but you're right to be looking for the right one. Cheers and happy hunting!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:27 AM

228 posts, read 1,001,012 times
I LOVE to cruise! I cruise twice a year, and would do it more if I had the $$$ and could get the time off! My suggestion, would be to go onto CruiseCritic.com and check out some of the threads there. You can read reviews of ships, ports, and things to do. Get any answer to any question that you might have.

But, as stated, we need more info about you, and what you like to do. But, IMO, you cant go wrong with a cruise! Just no fooling around on the balcony!! Dot

Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM

870 posts, read 2,179,813 times
We've taken 4 or 5 cruises. All but one were on Carnival. The other one was on Royal Caribbean. I feel that these are very similar cruise lines. Royal Caribbean's larger ships (like Freedom of the Seas) offers many activities that younger people will really enjoy, such as rock climbing wall, a Flowrider (where one can surf), and ice skating. But, the cruise are more expensive.

We have a cruise booked for this summer. We booked a 5-day cruise this past December for Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas. After checking this past weekend, I was able to find a Carnival 7-day cruise that was priced for $700 less than the Royal Carribean cruise (same ports, except Carnival had a third port added). So, I changed our cruise. Carnival is usually less expensive, but you won't have the Flowrider and the ice skating (if those are important to you). But, Carnival has plenty of activities to keep you busy, so you might not even miss those. You just have to weigh your options and prioritize.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:52 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
As DotLib mentioned, try Cruise Critic. It is the most comprehensive cruising website out there. Cruises, Cruise Reviews and Cruise Deals - Cruise Critic
If you click on "Boards" you will be taken to postings by cruisers that are researching cruises like yourself and also from cruisers who have just returned and can give you recent advice.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Here's a link to the mother of all cruising forums:

Cruises, Cruise Reviews and Cruise Deals - Cruise Critic

Old 04-01-2009, 06:49 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'll throw these three out in no particular order as being generally rated good value for the money and provide a bit more in the way of extravagance than the budget lines (Carnival & NCL).

Princess
Royal Caribbean
Holland American

Celebrity Cruise Lines recent reputation has slipped a bit and appears to be moving closer to the main pack and generally is more expensive.

Carnival generally attracts the younger crowd of these six, with Holland America perhaps the oldest. Depends somewhat on where you'd like to go but they all seem to have somewhat unique characteristics across-the-board.

European cruises seem to be offering the best value at this time. Caribbean cruises tend to be the least expensive per day. Alaskan Cruises tend to be the most expensive because of the demand and short sailing season. There are also many other itineraries such as Panama Canal and Pacific Mexico that are available.

If you are willing to have an inside cabin (no view) you can book a cruise for less than $100/day pp. We are booked on a RT Hawaiian cruise from LA this winter with a balcony cabin for about $180/day pp.
First, Carnival and NCL are not budget lines. They are all Mainstream lines that you mentioned. NCl actually was some really upscale suites you won't find on all lines. Holland is in that bracket, but is a bit more upscale, and yes I have sailed all of them.
The Average age on Carnival is 45, so wrong again. Royal Carribbean has about the same average age.
Princess is wonderful for destination cruising. They go to more places than most.Hollands Age varies from cruise to cruise, but it does attract older cruises. Long Cruises attract older cruisers not matter what line.
NCL offers free Stle cruising. You dine when you want to, and where you want to. he Dining Room, Buffet , Great Outdoors , and a diner stle restaurnt are included in the cruise fare. NCL has alot of extra price restaurants ranging from $10-$25p/p.
Princess has Assigned or Personal choice dining. RCCL just added that feature.
HAL also has that feature. Carnival still has traditional assigned dining.
I'm a travel agent but have gone on all the lines mentioned.

Diane G

Old 04-01-2009, 07:37 PM

218 posts, read 755,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
First, Carnival and NCL are not budget lines. They are all Mainstream lines that you mentioned. NCl actually was some really upscale suites you won't find on all lines. Holland is in that bracket, but is a bit more upscale, and yes I have sailed all of them.
The Average age on Carnival is 45, so wrong again.
I'm a travel agent but have gone on all the lines mentioned.
Diane G
IF you're going to object a very insightful post while repeatedly stating you've been on these lines, at least try to make some sense yourself?

Holland is in that bracket ...a "bit" more upscale (than NCL?)

As other posters have mentioned, can't beat CruiseCritic.
There's also Cruisemates.com.

NCL is a fun, very informal cruise where you can wear your most comfortable jeans and is, yes, considered a budget line. Look at the GREAT Hawai'i rates, for starters... And If you sail Carnival's older ships, you are also talking Budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises