Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

White hat guy has a rather distinctive profile.
My guess, homegrown, true "Tea Party" right wingnuts, hate liberals, and know about Patriots' Day as a state holiday. Why the Marathon? Who knows. Could have done more damage in a stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
White hat guy has a rather distinctive profile.
My guess, homegrown, true "Tea Party" right wingnuts, hate liberals, and know about Patriots' Day as a state holiday. Why the Marathon? Who knows. Could have done more damage in a stadium.
Oh great the crazies from the Politics thread found the Current events thread.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Not strip search, but security for something like an inauguration has many thousands of people go through metal detectors. I went to an annual Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph in London. It's basically a monument that's in the middle of the street. It's attended by the Queen, present and former prime ministers, many dignitaries... incredibly tight security! They blocked off the street and set up metal detectors, and searched thousands of spectators. Don't know how they secured all of the buildings that were on the street, though.

It CAN be done, for certain areas where crowds gather, by limiting access routes. The cost must be exorbitant, but then so is the cost of NOT doing it.
What a way to live- One real person or an imaginary person that does not exist...manages to control thousands through fear? Sure you can shove everyone through a fine screen and catch some to the dangerous dregs of society. Is it worth it to be slaves and spend millions of tax dollars on security? To work and send your money to maintain your own safety? That kind of sounds like indirect cosmic extortion to me.

That is like paying for lack of freedom- paying to be a slave? I would rather be free and take my chances. If fate has it I will be blown to bits - so be it- I would rather function of confidence and faith than to live like a protected rat in a lab.

People in rough parts of the world go about their business while under a constant threat of possible violent death- and there are those who live under the constant threat of natural death- I could get up right now and have a massive stroke and disappear...it may come in the next second or in the next 30 years- but it will come- I appreciate my life and take nothing for granted. Each day I live as if it is my last. Freedom to waste my own life is better than to have authorities waste it for me.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
You guys should listen to the live feed here:

Boston Police, Fire and EMS Live Audio Feed

One of the suspects is supposedly down and out for the count, and currently perusing the other.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
One suspect is dead. The other one is on the run and state police are searching door to door in Watertown, near Boston.

Another police officer is in serious condition. These idiots were hijacking cars, throwing bombs at police, shooting. The suspect at large is armed and dangerous. WBZ/CBS tv live.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 AM

No T service at all today! (train) People in Watertown are to stay inside. Do not go out. Surreal situation in the Boston area. in lockdown. Thank goodness it is daylight now and maybe they can find the second suspect.

The bomber died and had multiple injuries from explosives as well as gun shots.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:55 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No T service at all today! (train) People in Watertown are to stay inside. Do not go out. Surreal situation in the Boston area. in lockdown. Thank goodness it is daylight now and maybe they can find the second suspect.

The bomber died and had multiple injuries from explosives as well as gun shots.
Are you in the area? Please be safe.

I'm surprised at the gall of these individuals. I wonder if they are somehow connected to MIT, like they are students there?

Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Are you in the area? Please be safe.

I'm surprised at the gall of these individuals. I wonder if they are somehow connected to MIT, like they are students there?
I'm nowhere near, thank goodness but thanks for the good wishes. The people in that area need them.

I'm listening on radio and tv live.

I think they just fit in well in a college area better than they would in a regular neighborhood where people would recognize them. Doesn't sound like they are MIT connected. They are disgusting. Reminding me so much of 9/11 and the pilots from 911 took off from Boston's Logan airport. Scum of the earth, all of them.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
Turns out they were students at a nearby community college. Reports say that Suspect 2 was an engineering student, or had planned to study engineering at Bunker Hill CC.

ETA: My mistake, they are saying that the deceased suspect was the engineered student at Bunker Hill CC.

Last edited by MatildaLoo; 04-19-2013 at 05:57 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What a way to live- One real person or an imaginary person that does not exist...manages to control thousands through fear? Sure you can shove everyone through a fine screen and catch some to the dangerous dregs of society. Is it worth it to be slaves and spend millions of tax dollars on security? To work and send your money to maintain your own safety? That kind of sounds like indirect cosmic extortion to me.

That is like paying for lack of freedom- paying to be a slave? I would rather be free and take my chances. If fate has it I will be blown to bits - so be it- I would rather function of confidence and faith than to live like a protected rat in a lab.

People in rough parts of the world go about their business while under a constant threat of possible violent death- and there are those who live under the constant threat of natural death- I could get up right now and have a massive stroke and disappear...it may come in the next second or in the next 30 years- but it will come- I appreciate my life and take nothing for granted. Each day I live as if it is my last. Freedom to waste my own life is better than to have authorities waste it for me.
I know. I know. The fact is, though, that we give up freedoms and spend millions either way -- either before or after an "event". Spending money and time to conduct screenings and searches before OR spending FAR more and giving up some freedoms after an atrocity happens. (Right now, an entire metropolitan area can't do anything -- transit's shut down, businesses can't open, school's are closed...). The difference is, if money/time were spent before, people still have their lives and limbs.

That said... no matter how many screenings and searches, the "bad guys" will always find a way around them. You can prevent "spur of the moment" tragedies of someone trying to bring in an assault weapon, but how do you prevent very patient, very smart terrorists who plan their event for years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events