Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
There's no GRAY area when it comes to rape, or when it comes to sex -- consensual or in this case, clearly NON-consensual -- with a 14 year-old girl.

I don't need to be a law school grad to know that a 49 year-old man who rapes a 14 year-old girl needs to go to prison for a long, long time.

What part of "knowing more about the law" would lead to a 30-day sentence for RAPE of a minor?
Perhaps someone should look into this judge's sexual history. Might find a few "victims" of his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 03:19 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
Sorry, which of you went to law school and knows more about the law than a real-life judge?

That's what I thought.
OK, read the linked article below and come back with your "that's what I thought comment"

Mont. judge's apology rejected by victim's mother

A legal review of Monday's sentencing suggests Rambold may have gotten off too easily.
That review determined that if Baugh had applied the proper section of state law, the defendant would have received a minimum of two years in prison, according to a memo sent by Yellowstone County Attorney Scott Twito to the appellate division of the state Attorney General's Office.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
This judge needs to be taken out and shot.

What kind of comment is THIS???

"She seemed older than her chronological age," Baugh said. "Basically what we had was a troubled young girl."

WHAT is that supposed to mean? Rape is rape, and non-consenual sex with a 14 year-old is statutory.

This teacher should have gotten YEARS in prison. This judge is nuts.

She might have been the "town bicycle". I have know girls who were tramps before age 14 where I grew up. They were poor trash trying to get knocked up to trap a man.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:00 PM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
She might have been the "town bicycle". I have know girls who were tramps before age 14 where I grew up. They were poor trash trying to get knocked up to trap a man.
. This guy was 47, he was a teacher, an authority figure. Its is never right for a person in this position to have sex with a minor. Even if a person has a questionable reputation, even if they instigate the romance, sex with a minor is against the law.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,398 times
30 days!! This is coming across as racism to me. Latino family, mother and daughter getting railroaded by Montana law.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:37 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,658 times
Quote:
This is why sexual abuse is rampant. people are too busy bashing the victims and not focusing on the person who committed thr crime. A 47 year-old man shouldn't even be looking at a girl her age. It's disgusting.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:01 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Even if this were true, it wouldn't excuse the teacher from breaching professional ethics and having sex with a student. The teacher was the adult in the equation, he's supposed to behave like a responsible adult and role model.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Teenage males look back on such events years later as a rite of passage.
Sexist bullcrap. You have some gall, making sexist allegations like that and then accusing *others* of a gender bias. Who are you to decree what teenage guys feel or what teenage girls feel? How many guys' minds have you been in to confidently assert it's a rite of passage? You're perpetuating the very same sexist stereotypes that feminism (ostensibly) set out to abolish.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:21 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Sexist bullcrap. You have some gall, making sexist allegations like that and then accusing *others* of a gender bias. Who are you to decree what teenage guys feel or what teenage girls feel? How many guys' minds have you been in to confidently assert it's a rite of passage? You're perpetuating the very same sexist stereotypes that feminism (ostensibly) set out to abolish.
Well, maybe since he was once (or might still be) a teenage boy, I suspect he could probably speak on what teenage boys feel. And since I was once a teenage boy that had a - healthy - infatuation on one of my teachers in HS, I could also speak for teenage boys. And since I have friends who were teenage boys - one of which luckily happened to experience this rite of passage we other boys jealously coveted - I again, can speak on behalf of teenaged boys.

Now, what I can't do is speak on behalf of teenaged girls - since I'm not stupid enough to think I know what the other gender has experienced - you know, since I wasn't one.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:30 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I again, can speak on behalf of teenaged boys.
Differences between people of the same gender are no less significant than between people of opposite genders.
I'm a guy too. Sure, I might, in the short term, have enjoyed having sex with an adult woman as a teenager. But I'm glad I didn't, because it would have psychologically ruined me after growing up and realizing what happened. It doesn't matter if one is male or female and making assumptions about males or females. Assumptions are just that- assumptions, and those are dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events