Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:45 PM

58 posts, read 76,332 times

Advertisements

I'm finding it a little discouraging that the LGBT community has not come out and publicly denounced Donald Sterling and called for his resignation as they did with Brendan Eich.

All it took was a $1000 donation from Brendan Eich to get him removed as CEO of Mozilla yet here you cleary have an employer discriminating against minorities and the LGBT community is silent?

I wonder how fast he would've been skewered had he told his girlfriend not to bring any gay male friends or lesbian women friends to his games? I see no difference between that and what he actually said as they are both equally offensive and disgusting forms of discrimination and bigotry.

But I guess as long as he doesn't use the F word, H word or D word the LGBT community has no opinion or interest?

I support all minorities or people who are discriminated against because of their sexuality, race, religion, or geographic origin. Like people from the south, white and black, who don't get a fair shake because some bigoted employer who ignorantly correlates a southern accent to a sign of low intelligence. Furthest thing from the truth and it's not fair to treat them differently or deny them employment for saying y'all or whatum fixinta or tryna do.
(Lived in Lexington, Ky for 5 years)

Yet I'm amazed at the lack of outcry from the LGBT community over the "actual words" from the mouth of Donald Sterling, and the "implied intent" of the $1000.00 donation made by Brendan Eich.

I've fully supported the LGBT community at rallies, protests and parades before it was the popular thing to do. I've participated in AIDS awareness functions and helped clients who've died from AIDS yet the call to respond to all injustices they could lend their message of equality and acceptance to seem to go unanswered.

A terrorist attack in Florida is an attack on America, an attack in Kansas is an attack on America.

An attack against any minority is an attack against all minorities. We're all Americans, plain and simple.

Outcry, denouncement, and action against all bigotry and discrimination needs be as forthcoming regardless of who the intended target is. Or maybe fighting for causes that don't directly affect or pertain to me (gay rights) no longer deserve my open support.

And please, if you're going to respond to this lets have an open, intelligent dialogue and save the sarcasm and one liners class clowns still use to disguise their learning deficiencies. Share your opinion, not just your opinion of my opinion. What do YOU think, I've already expressed what I think.

*Experiment to see if the reversal of the G and B in the organizations title draws more reaction, outcry.

Last edited by Astro Art; 04-28-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
The LGBT community has their hands full with their own fight. And if they had weighed in, people would be posting about why they feel the need to get involved when it's not an LGBT issue.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
The LGBT community has their hands full with their own fight. And if they had weighed in, people would be posting about why they feel the need to get involved when it's not an LGBT issue.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
It's a good thing society hasn't taken that approach towards LGBT rights. Not my fight. A lot of straight people including myself support their demands for change and equality.

I fight with them for changes that won't affect me personally as a straight (not narrow) male.

You can't cherry pick which forms of discrimination are acceptable or worth fighting. All discrimination must be fought equally.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Art View Post
An attack against any minority is an attack against all minorities. We're all Americans, plain and simple.
instead of "an attack against any minority is an attack against all minorities" shouldnt it be "an attack on any American is an attack against all americans"?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
instead of "an attack against any minority is an attack against all minorities" shouldnt it be "an attack on any American is an attack against all americans"?
You can't build an agenda on that.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:00 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
It's a good thing society hasn't taken that approach towards LGBT rights. Not my fight. A lot of straight people including myself support their demands for change and equality.

I fight with them for changes that won't affect me personally as a straight (not narrow) male.

You can't cherry pick which forms of discrimination are acceptable or worth fighting. All discrimination must be fought equally.
When your stated mission is to fight specifically for the rights of the LGBT community, sure you can cherry pick. They aren't saying that other minorities' fights aren't valid or worthy of fighting for. They just have to have some focus or they dilute their own efforts.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Exactly my point CaptainNJ. Classification by race or sexual preference shouldn't exist.

The only classification should be American, not African, gay, disabled, elderly, southern, Muslim, Mexican.

Classification is the 1st step in discrimination. Once classified, the ground rules can be set as far as how a particular class can be treated. Treat them like American citizens regardless.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:10 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
The only classification should be American, not African, gay, disabled, elderly, southern, Muslim, Mexican.
Why just Americans? Why not all humans?

Old 04-28-2014, 02:29 PM

778 posts, read 823,729 times
Some LGBT+ news sources are reporting on it.

Jason Collins and Donald Sterling represent the best, worst in the NBA - Outsports

L.A. Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Under Fire for Racist Remarks: VIDEOS| Gay News | Towleroad

And I'm disgusted by his remarks, but that has nothing to do with me being a member of a different minority group and everything to do with the fact racism is unacceptable.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Exactly my point CaptainNJ. Classification by race or sexual preference shouldn't exist.

Classification is the 1st step in discrimination. Once classified, the ground rules can be set as far as how a particular class can be treated. Treat them like American citizens regardless.
if every advocacy group protested every injustice, what would be the purpose of having issue advocacy groups? you would just have "injustice groups" and they would protest any injustice to anybody.

I basically agree with the person that said by going after everything, they dilute their capacity to address the issue that they were created for. im sure they all have opinions on other issues and personally support wronged people, but they don't have the ability (or rights based on donors who donated for a specific issue) to fight every battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events