Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
White Fat people are the only group left that you can make fun of and get away with it.
The majority population is Mexican-American in San Antonio not White. In this case, Barkley was inadvertently referring to fat American women of Mexican descent/background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,522,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Good. Don't ever apologize Charles. People need to start to standing up to the professionally offended hand wringing weenies. Joke 'em if they can't take a f@#$.
It's easy to be outspoken, edgy and "have personality" when you're black and aren't going to face any consequences for being an a-hole.
White people don't have that option.

I don't have a problem with what Barkley says, but ALL should be treated equally ... Black people will never be fully equal until they can learn to take the heat.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:36 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
It's easy to be outspoken, edgy and "have personality" when you're black and aren't going to face any consequences for being an a-hole.
White people don't have that option.

I don't have a problem with what Barkley says, but ALL should be treated equally ... Black people will never be fully equal until they can learn to take the heat.
Another bingo.

A lot of black people make edgy and controversial comments. A lot more white people would do the same if they knew the consequences would be equal. A white person can't even admit to saying the n word 30 years ago. A word folks. A word.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 PM

18 posts, read 14,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
A lot of black people make edgy and controversial comments. A lot more white people would do the same if they knew the consequences would be equal. A white person can't even admit to saying the n word 30 years ago. A word folks. A word.
Why arent black NFL players like Derrick Ward and Don Jones being immediately suspended by Roger Goodell for posting disparaging Tweets about the infamous Michael Sam gay kiss seen 'round the world? What they Tweeted was far worse than anything Don Sterling said in private.

Oh yeah, it's because they're black people --- the only race that enjoys carte blanche when it comes to unpunishable social commentary.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:55 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,522,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDrogg View Post
Why arent black NFL players like Derrick Ward and Don Jones being immediately suspended by Roger Goodell for posting disparaging Tweets about the infamous Michael Sam gay kiss seen 'round the world? What they Tweeted was far worse than anything Don Sterling said in private.

Oh yeah, it's because they're black people --- the only race that enjoys carte blanche when it comes to unpunishable social commentary.

You can add lesbians, gays, Hispanics and Muslims to that ...

Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
White Fat people are the only group left that you can make fun of and get away with it.
I didn't see where he mocked only fat white women. I think he made a joke that could definitely include all groups.

I was at the 6 flags water park when it was 98 degrees and it looked like beached whales at the pool area. There really is an obesity problem.

Weight itsn't like race because you can do something about it and it's unhealthy.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Also -- for once it's refreshing to see someone refuse to apologize --- you get so sick of all the tearful fake apologies lately.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:04 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
On the Barkley Scale of controversial comments, this one is a blip.

I struggle with weight as does my wife (she lost 60 lbs recently). Still, I find the whole "fat acceptance" movement laughable. Most people can do something about their weight if they want to.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:07 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
There are a lot of people being critical of stupid and ignorant people in this thread. As someone who dabbles in stupidity and ignorance myself, I am a bit offended.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
[/indent]Charles Barkley responds to criticism over fat*jokes | SI Wire

Should he be fired? Now we have Shaq insulting disabled people and Barkley insulting overweight people. I believe it's Kenny's turn now.
He should not be fired. His jokes weren't hilarious, but they were on point. He should not be required to apologize. He certainly shouldn't be fired. That would be stupid. He gave people good advice : Try weight watchers. For those that don't know, Barkley was fat after retiring. He tried weight watchers, and it worked for him.

He hurt some feelings? Tough luck. He pushed himself to do the exact thing he recommended for others. His advice if they didn't like it, turn off the TV. That is also excellent advice. We wouldn't have such an obesity epidemic if people would turn off the **** tv. It does not need to be blasting away for several hours every day. It does not get sad if you don't play with it.

A group pushing for fat acceptance: That group is stupid. Obesity is a problem. It is killing people. We should accept FAT PEOPLE, but not accept fat. We should encourage people. Yes, his way of doing it was rude, but it would have been worse if he said, "It's okay to be fat, eat this cherry pie".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events