Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Context is great if all people can make jokes and just say "well in context it's not so bad".

If a white person in Barkley's position makes a joke about say blacks...they'll be fired. Imus is a shock jock and he had the NAACP, Sharpon, civil/women's rights groups, etc wanting him fired for saying "nappy-headed hos". I say if we are going to protect some people from everything they consider offensive than lets protect everyone from things that are considered offensive (overweight, gay, black, Jewish, etc)
Thank you for exemplifying what a "lack of understanding context" means. "Overweight, gay, black, Jewish"? Which one is not like the others? The quality of being "black" and/or "Jewish" pertains to ethnicity (and that is a larger discussion in and of itself). It could be argued that both of these conditions are endemic, as is sexuality. Truly endemic conditions can lead to socially constructed barriers that form "enclaves" (voluntary or not) of said populations:

Racial Residential Segregation

Segregation of the Jews

Why Gayborhoods Matter - CityLab

Now please find us some social force that has created "fat" neighborhoods all throughout the United States or anywhere in the world. Poverty as an extension of ethnicity can cause health crises which lead to obesity but ethnicity is the central factor, not obesity. "Blacks" from the rural South, the Caribbean, and from Sub-Saharan Africa can be found clustered together in NYC or suburban DC neighborhoods. Jews from the former Soviet Union, the United States, and Ethiopia can all be found in Israel based on the quality of being Jewish. The LGBT neighborhoods found in most very large American metros have diverse representation of a variety of ethnic groups. Do "fat people" of all different ethnicities, religions, or sexualities cluster together in neighborhoods or particular cities on the basis of being fat? Barkley tried to assert that San Antonio was such as city but look where that has gotten him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,952 times
Wink From a Texas Lady

Charles Barkley never was one of my favorite people...period. Yes, he may have been a good player at some point in his life, but like I tell others: fame and money are not synonymous with brains or respect.

His making fun of obesity and then making that snide remark about "churro eating" women just goes to show you what he's really like.

He seems to have forgotten that it is probably many of those "big ol women" and their families who contributed to his wealth.

He's just another big mouth with no class...

Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,256 times
You know what? Mean is mean. There is discussion of obesity as it relates to health and quality of life (not mean, we all know it affects those things). Then there is discussion of obesity in a joking, rude manner which belittles people and deliberately makes them feel bad or disrespected. That's mean. Anyone who defends the 2nd as somehow an extension of the 1st doesn't understand the difference and is probably just mean themselves.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,952 times
So it's okay to make fun of obesity? I guess since he's such a slender man it's okay for him to do that. What next: make fun of invalids? mentally incapacitated?

No one told him to visit San Antonio...or to talk with the women...I'm sure he's become persona non-grata with his callous comments...

Oh...and to call the women "churro eating"...hm, sounds a little racist to me...and HE is the last person who should make those comments..

Just another crass "athlete" has been who forgets who made him wealthy...because without the fans, he would still be playing basketball or peddling himself elsewhere...

Old 05-16-2014, 10:38 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Mean? Get over yourself. It's funny. I laughed, as did many other people.

Don't like him? Turn off the television and go back to your "aww, someone hurt my poor little feelings" support group somewhere. The rest of us like humor of this sort and don't need a bunch of whiny wussies ruining it for the rest of us.

A quick side-note: it's probably been stated that only Charles Barkley could get away with this, and/or other African-Americans. I know of one white person who, if he was still with us, could get away with this--George Carlin.

George Carlin - They are only WORDS! - YouTube

I can't IMAGINE George Carlin every apologizing either, and good for him.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:41 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
It's fine to make fun of fat people, since they are in the majority in the USA. It's more like joking about stupid or lazy people, not an ethnic group.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:53 AM

273 posts, read 323,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
[/indent]Charles Barkley responds to criticism over fat*jokes | SI Wire

Should he be fired? Now we have Shaq insulting disabled people and Barkley insulting overweight people. I believe it's Kenny's turn now.
Chuck has been making fun of the large women in San Antonio for years. Why is this suddenly an issue now?

Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
meh, why is this news? too many people are butthurt over it

don't like the show, change the channel.

daniel tosh has gotten away with a lot more than that and you don't see people having a hissy fit about it.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:17 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLady78 View Post
So it's okay to make fun of obesity? I guess since he's such a slender man it's okay for him to do that. What next: make fun of invalids? mentally incapacitated?

No one told him to visit San Antonio...or to talk with the women...I'm sure he's become persona non-grata with his callous comments...

Oh...and to call the women "churro eating"...hm, sounds a little racist to me...and HE is the last person who should make those comments..

Just another crass "athlete" has been who forgets who made him wealthy...because without the fans, he would still be playing basketball or peddling himself elsewhere...
I guess you have never seen Charles Barkley?

Old 05-16-2014, 11:17 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Thank you for exemplifying what a "lack of understanding context" means. "Overweight, gay, black, Jewish"? Which one is not like the others? The quality of being "black" and/or "Jewish" pertains to ethnicity (and that is a larger discussion in and of itself). It could be argued that both of these conditions are endemic, as is sexuality. Truly endemic conditions can lead to socially constructed barriers that form "enclaves" (voluntary or not) of said populations:

Racial Residential Segregation

Segregation of the Jews

Why Gayborhoods Matter - CityLab

Now please find us some social force that has created "fat" neighborhoods all throughout the United States or anywhere in the world. Poverty as an extension of ethnicity can cause health crises which lead to obesity but ethnicity is the central factor, not obesity. "Blacks" from the rural South, the Caribbean, and from Sub-Saharan Africa can be found clustered together in NYC or suburban DC neighborhoods. Jews from the former Soviet Union, the United States, and Ethiopia can all be found in Israel based on the quality of being Jewish. The LGBT neighborhoods found in most very large American metros have diverse representation of a variety of ethnic groups. Do "fat people" of all different ethnicities, religions, or sexualities cluster together in neighborhoods or particular cities on the basis of being fat? Barkley tried to assert that San Antonio was such as city but look where that has gotten him!
It's not a debate on who has it worse. And in many cases I would say overweight people can endure more discrimination/bullying than any race or sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events